Evo 4G LTE or Galaxy Nexus??

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an Evo 3D that is having problems with the touch screen. Up until this point I have been pleased with the phone, even if ROM support has sucked. Before the 3D I had an OG Evo that my wife uses now. It's been perfect for 2 years.

I have the BB warranty on my 3D so they are going to give me a brand new one, but I am thinking this would be the time to get a cheap upgrade since I am not due until next year. I have really had good luck with HTC, but Nexus sure looks attractive. So the question is, what would you get?

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
4G LTE. Gnex is out dated by today's standard.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

But it's a Nexus, so it tends to live a long and healthy life, regardless of if its Quadrant score is slightly lower.

OP: Go to the store, hold both in your hand, play with each, see which you like. It's hard to get a feel for the device simply by asking for answers in a forum or reading reviews. There's a decent chance it'll be the 4G LTE. But still, the responsible thing would be to try both out.

Reactions: bnrbranding

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
But it's a Nexus, so it tends to live a long and healthy life, regardless of if its Quadrant score is slightly lower.
That's the part that's got me hung up. I put CM on my Evo as soon as it was close to stable and I've been dying to get ICS on my 3D, so pure Google has a strong allure. The benchmarks do put the GNex in the dust, but then I don't do a lot of gaming so does it really matter? I might have to wait for the Evo to hit the shelves before I decide.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
That's the part that's got me hung up. I put CM on my Evo as soon as it was close to stable and I've been dying to get ICS on my 3D, so pure Google has a strong allure. The benchmarks do put the GNex in the dust, but then I don't do a lot of gaming so does it really matter? I might have to wait for the Evo to hit the shelves before I decide.

I own a Galaxy Nexus, so I'm probably pretty biased. I did the same thing you did with my Incredible on Verizon, and I love stock ICS. I've tried the AT&T One X, but... Well, I just couldn't get over Sense. At the surface, it's fine, but using it for any period of time made me be more than a little frustrated with HTC: Google has done so well at creating a cohesive interface. Couldn't they at least match it?

We could bring up the "benchmarks don't matter" argument, but I think that it's safe to say that all current games run perfectly smoothly on the Galaxy Nexus. I'd wager that all games for the next year to year and a half will also run smoothly. After that, I'm sure that some will push the envelope and beging to utilize the quad-core SOCs, or the S4, but until then I'm content.

But yeah, wait until it's on the shelf if software isn't the most important factor. :)

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I am struggling with the same decision, but with all the multi-tasking problems on the LTE, I am leaning toward the GNex - especially since HTC said that there is no problem with the Multi-tasking (when there is).

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So Walmart happened to have an HTC One X on display so I took a minute to check it out. The store I was in didn't carry any Sprint phones, but I figured this one would be close enough. First, you can imagine my surprise when what looked like a fake demo screen was actually the live screen. HOLY CRAP. I seriously was blown away by the quality of the screen. Unbelievable. I like everything about the phone, so adding a kickstand is just the icing on the cake.

They didn't have a live Galaxy Nexus on display because they keep selling out, but I thought it was a little too big. The One X was slightly larger than my 3D, but the Nexus was large. Obviously larger than my 3D. I may still go look at a live one before I pull the trigger, but it's going to have to blow me away to make me forget about the HTC screen. Did I mention how amazing it looks??

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus has a 4.65" screen and the HTC ONE X and HTC 4G LTE have 4.7" screens. The HTC's are actually slightly larger! I have the EVO4GLTE and there is nothing else even close to this screen!

Last edited:

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus has a 4.65" screen and the HTC ONE X and HTC 4G LTE have 4.7" screens. The HTC's are actually slightly larger! I have the EVO4GLTE and there is nothing else even close to this screen!
I actually meant the overall size of the phone. But it turns out they are nearly identical in size, both are a bit larger than my 3D. Still though, the screen is unreal.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
At this point I feel that the only reason to get a Galaxy Nexus over a new EVO or GS3 is if one wants supported stock Android. Hardware-wise the latter two are almost a generation ahead. Screen sizes I think are negligible. Yes, slight size differences and there is on-screen vs capacitive buttons.

Given that, myself, I went with a Nexus.

I compared my GN screen to a coworker that had a new EVO. The EVO screen is definitely awesome but I didn't come away thinking my screen was completely inferior. Which was a good thing since I am sticking with a nexus for reason already stated. :)

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
4G LTE. Gnex is out dated by today's standard.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Well I think outdated is quite an exaggeration. Latest and greatest it is not, but neither will the EVO be before your contract is up. Doesn't mean either aren't capable or won't be supported. Just trying to put a little perspective on things if one doesn't upgrade their phone every 10-12 months.

SpencerHTC

May 25, 2012
Visit site
OP, I played with each at the Sprint store and I must say that the Evo is much better. It just feels more solid in the hands and overall performs more efficiently. Only reason to consider the Nexus is stock ICS.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
OP, I played with each at the Sprint store and I must say that the Evo is much better. It just feels more solid in the hands and overall performs more efficiently. Only reason to consider the Nexus is stock ICS.

They both have stock ICS.....:p

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
As much as I covet stock ICS, I am going with the Evo. compared side by side the choice is obvious. The Sammy just looks and feels cheap compared to the HTC. I don't hate Sense and chances are I am going to root anyway.

I really considered switching to Verizon, but their selection of top Android phones seems really crappy compared to Sprint, so I guess I will have to wait on LTE to really be blown away.

Reactions: Mercury81

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I went with the galaxy nexus because of the more personalization and also pure Android! Now after having a Gnex, I really hate these skins like Sense, Touchwiz, etc.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I went with the galaxy nexus because of the more personalization and also pure Android! Now after having a Gnex, I really hate these skins like Sense, Touchwiz, etc.

So you hate HTC sense and Samsung's rich touch wiz ... What do you like?

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
So you hate HTC sense and Samsung's rich touch wiz ... What do you like?

Stock Android (ICS anyways). I liked Sense but it's gotten so heavy that the amount of RAM that HTC puts in their phones slows it down, at least on my HTC Sensation it did. As far as Samsung's Touchwiz goes, I find it to much like the iPhone OS. But I think Sense 4.0 on the EVO LTE is much better than 3.0 and 3.5 on their recent phones that launched on gingerbread.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
So what is to hate with touch wiz? I came to epic 4g touch from blackberry so I don't see what is wrong with touch wiz.

I can understand if this is your first Android device, you probably haven't tried any other skins, like HTC's Sense, or Motorola's. or even stock ICS on the Galaxy Nexus. But I've tried Motoblur, Sense, Touchwiz and now stock ICS and find stock is much smoother and faster.