WTH? Sprint officially talking about changing 4G Network?

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
The newest buzz is that Sprint is making statements making it seem they are backtracking on their type of 4G network there are hundreds of reports out like this Sprint CEO sees 'logic' in merger with T-Mobile | Signal Strength - CNET News.
If they do this I'm sure it wouldn't be immediate and supposably they would could just add LTE but seriously I doubt they would expand both. I will be pissed if they backtrack and leave our EVOs on a network that dies before its even fully developed! What do you guys think?

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
@He123321: yeah i knew this would be the first response which is true all phones become outdated almost right at release but some people can not upgrade every year or two... I could but still its not my point, you don't release a huge innovative flagship phone and try to get people to invest in a technology by buying that product even adding a premium fee manly because "most of the markets will soon be covered by the 4G network" then consider stopping it before its even completely rolled out!

@Yourdogsdead: I wouldn't mind a dual network too but seriously iDEN/CDMA/WiMax/LTE something has to give especially when Sprint would be the only WiMax and the majority being LTE why add the cost of building both they would end up just converting to all LTE.

Last edited:

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
I guess I'm just aggravated they are trying to get us to invest in a technology and their products they themselves are already backpedaling on! Asking to believe in something they don't even believe in. I believe they just settled for WiMax for now to just win the 4G race.

While Hesse said he believes in WiMax, he said the decision to use that technology was all about time to market.
"WiMax was tried-and-true tested technology at the time we made the choice," he said. "And we thought we could go with that for 4G now or wait for another technology that would be ready later. And we couldn't wait."
Clearwire's CEO Bill Morrow gave the same explanation.
"We started with the technology that was available at the time," he said.

sethpcs

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
If you follow the link in the article to Hesse's previous statements, you will see that he was already talking about the possibility of LTE in March (almost 4 months ago), well before the EVO was even available. This is not exactly breaking news.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Besides they aren't talking about dropping Wimax. Read what's said, they would have Wimax and LTE together, because they have the spectrum for it. Clearwire and Sprint have also said that's it's not that hard for them to change from Wimax to LTE, either, mostly just a small hardware change.

Calm down people, they didn't make anything official. T-Mobile hasn't even announced 4G yet, so this is still a while away even if it goes anywhere. Really what I think is Hesse doesn't want to rule something out that might be feasible (and maybe even productive and necessary) future business mergers and practices.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I think that when they do jump onto LTE that they will make a something that will use LTE but use it as a wimax signal. They can do that for older phones that use wi max 4g. It's would still be wi max but running LTE. I'm just saying that's what should happen.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think that when they do jump onto LTE that they will make a something that will use LTE but use it as a wimax signal. They can do that for older phones that use wi max 4g. It's would still be wi max but running LTE. I'm just saying that's what should happen.

Two different frequencies. Wimax and LTE technically aren't compatible. Wimax runs on a higher frequency, which is why it has problems with building penetration. LTE runs on a lower frequency which should (theoretically) give them better building penetration.

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
@sethpcs: yeah but Sprint just brought it back up, and it is breaking news and a headline on precentral right now.

@iamlilysdad: I know this is all early, I really dont see them investing in building new towers with both in the long run maybe during the transition though. It doesn't make sense to want LTE and start building towers with both when the majority already use LTE.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
In some ways, this would seem like the Sprint / Nextel merger all over again. At first I was excited, more towers, better coverage... but then I realized that the systems were not compatible, and there was a simply a merger of companies, but not of networks. T-Mo is GSM and Sprint is CDMA so basic phone service compatibility is out the window. Would Sprint/Nextel/T-Mobile just be a combination of 3 separate companies under one umbrella? Yeah they could all use the LTE standard, but the CDMA, iDEN, GSM issue is one that doesn't seem to work in a merger.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
But with things moving more and more to data centric use it would make sense for two carriers to invest in a shared network. Voice over LTE will happen, just not right away. Eventually CDMA and GSM will go by the wayside (way way down the road) but LTE could be a shared network that both companies could invest in and eventually merge all parts of the networks. It would be a long process but could (and should) work out better than the Nextel fiasco.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Sprint said back in March at CTIA that they would look into LTE in the future but at the earliest 2012.... I tried to search but I couldn't find it.... Sprint reps were saying a switch from WiMax to LTE would be relatively cheap as the basic structure would all ready be in place and it would be mostly different antenna's and a software change...... Now I am sure their "RELATIVELY CHEAP" is probably a few hundred million bucks if not a billion...

The problem right now is Sprint expected a major head start on the whole 4G technology race with WiMax... They are easily way ahead in this market BUT limit supplies of EVO's has hampered their advantage.. By the time HTC catches up with demand Verizon will be rolling out their LTE network and AT&T will not be far behind them..... A merger with T-Mobile is stupid but if T-Mobile were to start rolling out LTE and LTE handsets and Sprint planned to move to LTE in the future where all phones are more or less LTE then it might make sense in the future.... Right now CDMA and GSM networks are so opposite it would be business suicide....

T-Mobile isn't even planning an LTE network... They are just expanding their GSM network and upgrading to a faster GSM network. I had a Nexus One on T-Mobile for 3 months and IT SUCKED!!! The phone was awesome but their 3G network is so freaking small and limited... Unless your lucky and live in a HSPA+ coverage area and then your rocking....

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
sprint wanted to be first to market with a 4g network, not the last. that'so why we have wimax in the usa. I am not sure how much more they will invest in wimax, but they are looking into lte. there is an article about this @ wimax.com

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
sprint wanted to be first to market with a 4g network, not the last. that'so why we have wimax in the usa. I am not sure how much more they will invest in wimax, but they are looking into lte. there is an article about this @ wimax.com

Yeah WiMax was just quicker and easier... Sprint knows it's not the best technology out there but they could easily and quickly deploy WiMax vs LTE. Sprint claims the switch from WiMax to LTE is an easy switch.. For right now they will go with WiMax just because they can claim to be FIRST....

LTE is the future of wireless.. or at least in the immediate future... I think the only surprise is how quickly Sprint is thinking of making that switch.. originally Sprint said "IF" they switched it would probably be 2012 at which time the EVO will be freaking ancient technology....

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Two different frequencies. Wimax and LTE technically aren't compatible. Wimax runs on a higher frequency, which is why it has problems with building penetration. LTE runs on a lower frequency which should (theoretically) give them better building penetration.

They're not compatible, but the frequency doesn't matter.

Currently, WiMAX equipment makers are only producing radios in the 2.1Ghz spectrum, but they could build 700Mhz units if their customers asked. Ditto for LTE. For example, right now there are 800, 900 and 1900 MHz versions of CDMA and the same chipset makers could produce 700, 800, 900, 1900 or 2100 MHz LTE or WiMAX chipsets if their customers asked. They build GSM chipsets all over the PCS spectrum. It's all a question of where they own spectrum.

You are correct that the frequency definitely DOES impact building penetration. But the low-frequency designs need wider spectrum to get the same bandwidth, so your better indoor coverage won't be as fast. It's all a compromise.

If you read the specs, WiMAX and LTE are really, really close. Less than 5% different, really. They are both code division instead of time division, both use OFDM, both use the IP stack, both have the same call control, etc. It's almost all a difference in software, not hardware. Specifically, they differ in the uplink protocols but are practically identical on the downlink. It's that uplink chipset that's the sticking point.

In fact, the chipset manufacturers are pushing them to merge in a future release of the specs. WiMAX's only advantage was its immediate availability. Right now, they're talking publicly about building "god chips" that can work on either. If any carrier switches from one to the other, they'll put these "god chips" in their base stations and build an overlay network so your legacy device won't become obsolete. That's why Sprint and Clear are so nonchalant about LTE. They'll buy whatever the vendors are peddling cheap.

So go ahead and buy that WiMAX device right now, you'll be fine. If you're on a two-year contract you'll be ready to upgrade by the time the two specs merge anyway.

--Q-fugee

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
In some ways, this would seem like the Sprint / Nextel merger all over again. At first I was excited, more towers, better coverage... but then I realized that the systems were not compatible, and there was a simply a merger of companies, but not of networks. T-Mo is GSM and Sprint is CDMA so basic phone service compatibility is out the window. Would Sprint/Nextel/T-Mobile just be a combination of 3 separate companies under one umbrella? Yeah they could all use the LTE standard, but the CDMA, iDEN, GSM issue is one that doesn't seem to work in a merger.

In some respects yes, in others, its completely different. If Sprint and T-mobile were considering merging about 2-5 years ago, it would have made zero sense because T-mobile was still building out its 3G network, and neither had settled on anything resembling a 4G plan.

Since 4G is in its infant stages, and since Sprint has publicly stated it would be willing to change to LTE if thats the way the technological winds blow, a T-mobile merger might actually be very beneficial for both. T-mobile will get access to Sprint's towers (and the very rapid 4G rollout they would allow), and Sprint would get access to T-mobile's customers and infrastructure.

Yes, the technologies behind each company's network is not compatible. But with 4G rolling out that doesn't matter.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
A switch to LTE means consumers lose. WiMax = open standard, developed by IEEE. LTE = closed standard developed by cellular companies. LTE is the Apple Computer Corp. of the mobile broadband world.

Of course Sprint will move to LTE once it becomes available, as they want to join in the cash cow that it will be. That's why carriers choose it over WiMax. Never forget that you and I are just a dollar sign to these people.