Stuck between the S4 and the HTC One

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade Saturday, and I'm between the S4 and the HTC One. I was more heavily leaning towards the S4, I really like multi-window, and the ability to swap batteries/memory cards on the S4 though. I don't see myself taking low-light pics, so not sure I'd need the One's better low-light pics, and I don't see myself using the eye tracking on the S4 (maybe the hover touch thing). Does anyone miss the ability to replace the battery on the HTC One? Does it make it harder to get a case on it? Also, does the back scratch as easily as certain other non-Android phones are apparently prone to?

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I picked up the S4 almost a month ago and absolutely love it. If you don't use all the air and eye tracking features turn them off. But they are nice when my hands are filthy. I really wanted the One until I used it. I feel HTC really dropped the ball on the software, but that isn't surprising for them at all. And not to mention this great phone of theirs ships with 4.1.2 which is unacceptable to me and proves that HTC doesn't support software well. They have always made good hardware for the most part. But I suggest trying out both and seeing which you like. And you can always use a launcher etc. to change the look and feel.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned the Eye and Air features as in, I don't really care for them, so they aren't choice makers. The real factors are the One's better low-light pictures vs the S4's SD/battery upgradability. I'm also not 100% ok with Samsung's copying (not iPhone copying, see Robot Unicorn Attack vs Zombie Unicorn Apocalypse). I always use different launchers, and can't stand TouchWiz. Sense isn't as bad, but as I can't remove the blinkfeed page, I know I can just not use it, but I'd just switch to a different launcher.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the S4 almost a month ago and absolutely love it. If you don't use all the air and eye tracking features turn them off. But they are nice when my hands are filthy. I really wanted the One until I used it. I feel HTC really dropped the ball on the software, but that isn't surprising for them at all. And not to mention this great phone of theirs ships with 4.1.2 which is unacceptable to me and proves that HTC doesn't support software well. They have always made good hardware for the most part. But I suggest trying out both and seeing which you like. And you can always use a launcher etc. to change the look and feel.

I beg tio differ. The HTC One is the right choice. However it still comes down to personal choice.

Do you want a better media experience? Pick the HTC One.
Want a cleaner look? Pick the HTC One
Do you take pictures a lot in low light and enjoy video editing? Pick the HTC One
Want enough storage to install big apps? Pick the HTC One
It also has a better screen and Boomsound is just hard to over look.

Do you take a lot of quick pictures? S4
Do you want a removable battery? S4
Need a SD card? S4

The difference between 4.1.2 and 4.2.2 is all most nothing between these 2 devices. Just an FYI. But at the end of the and pick what meets your needs best. I enjoy less gimmicks and want a cleaner look. Plus the front facing speakers just make sense to me.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by Media Experience, but I use Plex, which is the same on both, and "better" seems to be an opinion.
Cleaner look, I still see it as opinion, but I get rid of TouchWiz anyways.
I the low light pictures maybe, but I've never edited, or wanted to edit video on my phone, so that is a moot point.
I have an extra SD card anyways, so the size difference between the S4 and One's memory, Idk.
I don't care for boomsound, as I listen to it with headphones like 90% of the time.

My concern with the One is that I can't easily get more battery, and I'm a bit concerned about the aluminum, although I've heard it's pretty scratch resistant.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade Saturday, and I'm between the S4 and the HTC One. I was more heavily leaning towards the S4, I really like multi-window, and the ability to swap batteries/memory cards on the S4 though. I don't see myself taking low-light pics, so not sure I'd need the One's better low-light pics, and I don't see myself using the eye tracking on the S4 (maybe the hover touch thing). Does anyone miss the ability to replace the battery on the HTC One? Does it make it harder to get a case on it? Also, does the back scratch as easily as certain other non-Android phones are apparently prone to?

I have a Nexus 4. I love the HTC One. But, off your brief post, I recommend the S4.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was thinking, I just have a thing against Samsung, as they seem very arrogant with their copying (again Zombie Unicorn Apocalypse vs Robot Unicorn Attack).

slab0meat

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by Media Experience, but I use Plex, which is the same on both, and "better" seems to be an opinion.
Cleaner look, I still see it as opinion, but I get rid of TouchWiz anyways.
I the low light pictures maybe, but I've never edited, or wanted to edit video on my phone, so that is a moot point.
I have an extra SD card anyways, so the size difference between the S4 and One's memory, Idk.
I don't care for boomsound, as I listen to it with headphones like 90% of the time.

My concern with the One is that I can't easily get more battery, and I'm a bit concerned about the aluminum, although I've heard it's pretty scratch resistant.

Keep in mind, apps CANNOT be put on your SD card. The internal memory of the S4 is somewhere in the range of 9+ GB free.

I still haven't decided between these two, and have no problem waiting a bit longer... contract is up, can switch carrier and phone whenever. However, every time I think I've decided, I haven't.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind, apps CANNOT be put on your SD card. The internal memory of the S4 is somewhere in the range of 9+ GB free.

I still haven't decided between these two, and have no problem waiting a bit longer... contract is up, can switch carrier and phone whenever. However, every time I think I've decided, I haven't.

You can put apps on your sd card actually, just not all of them.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You can put apps on your sd card actually, just not all of them.

Care to explain how, since my understanding is that unless you root and do the swap sd card tweak so it reads the sd card as the on board storage, as of ICS apps can't be moved to sd.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana