Access to URL has been blocked

gdbusby

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to figure out how to surf the internet while on 3G connection. Everytime I get the message "Access to this URL has been blocked". Is there some kind of setting that I'm missing? I've searched through the Wirless and Network Settings and there doesn't seem to have anything to turn on web browsing or something. Any suggestions?

davidk74

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here

I installed the Opera browser and it works.
If I use the voice search on the browser, it will show my search results but as soon as I click on a link. I get the url blocked error.
AT&T was no help. They want me to return the phone. I have already done a hard reset and am starting to think about forgetting the whole thing.
:mad::mad:

gdbusby

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
There has to be something simple that we are just overlooking. There is no reason that a phone shouldn't be able to simply surf the web while on 3G. Anyone have anything?

davidk74

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Downloading Opera from the droid market is a work around for now. After you install it, you can do a voice search from the google toolbar on the home screen and select it as default.
You can then surf using opera.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been able to access websites with the default browser. Opera should work because I believe the browser works like a proxy. It compresses the pages on an Opera server and sends them directly to you (at least that's what it did on the iPhone).

Look to see if you have somehow set a proxy server on the phone OR if you are on a WiFi link that has a proxy server of some type. That type of message is usually indicative of a proxy server blocking your access.

Last edited:

gdbusby

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
JackImageX: Thanks for your help. I have checked all the settings I can find and no proxy or APN is even turned on or selected. This is really puzzling me. Should I go swap out the phone? Could it be something that I'm just overlooking?

gdbusby

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Argh!! This is really getting to me. I just can't figure it out and I can't find anyone else talking about it. There has to be something I'm missing. Perhaps a full phone reset will do the trick. Guess it's a trip to the AT&T store this weekend if I can't fix it.

gdbusby

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
No, only works on wifi. Will not let anything connect via 3G. I have good 3G too. It just gives me the "Access to this URL has been blocked" when I'm in the browser or if I click a link from Twitter for Droid. Any ideas?

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, you have me stumped... but then again I am new to android.

I had an issue with getting to the internet at first, but it turned out the guy at Wal Mart pushe dthe wrong button and dropped my smartphone account.
Fortunately AT&T reinstated it, because I have the unlimited data plan, and you can't get those anymore.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Try this:

go to the browser, press the menu button, then "more".
go to "settings" and scroll all the way to the bottom and select the "reset to default" option.

Albitron

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife had the same issue on the Aria the other day and had to power down the phone and remove the sim and then put the sim back in and boot up... worked fine after that... Customer service rep said that if it happens again it very well could be a sim card issue. Did you happen to swap the sim out of a blackberry device previously?

davidk74

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Update

OK,
My bosses phone came in . I moved my sim into it and am still having the same problem. I am going to replace the sim card and see if that helps (I support the phones for my company so I have blanks).

davidk74

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Sim card did not work. So We have ruled out:
1. The phone
2. Funky settings on the phone (with the new phone and the hard reset)
3. The sim card
4. Access to internet (opera works)

IM thinking there is an issue with my account or plan.
Im getting back on the phone with there support. I will not let them avoid the issue by asking me to return the phone.

davidk74

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Proble solved,
Not sure why it took so long for them to figure out.
My company placed perntal controls on all of our phones. Once that was turned off, it works like a charm.

davidk74

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, now all the kids know how to get past the parental controls....:p

lol

IM testing the device out for possible deployment to our users. We had to turn on the filter to prevent users from buying media on the companies account. I guess I will work with AT&T and have them tweek the filter.