Secured wireless on Linksys WRT54G "54G" router

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, got two Captivates yesterday for wife and self. I've been unable to get WEP encryption working at all; other computers have been attached this way for years, not a new setup. After typing in the 26 Hex digits and choosing the type of WEP connection you can turn on "visible password", so I know I had the key in correctly, no luck.
I switched my encryption to WPA / personal, TKIP algorythm (after reading some devices don't play well with AES), and it connected right away. Obviously you have to change any other devices you have connected to make this change, but the "passcode" or key can be a bit easier than 26 char hex, and it's more secure than WEP anyway. So, hope this helps somebody since these things sold by the boxload out of the electronics stores a few years back, been driving me crazy all day!

ADS

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Not surprised. I read many posts on other devices where the problems were not consistent. I updated the firmware to the latest available (from V2.00.8 out of the box to V4.21.1) , rebooted, tried different ones of the 4 keys, and as mentioned above, finally saw the actual key so knew it was correct, so who knows...

ADS

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well Depending on the Version of the Linksys Router, I would install dd-wrt and make that thing work a lot better. While I dont use wep, but I do use Mac Filtering and wpa for encryption...

HTH,
Charlie