After reading 5 or 6 threads...

Symbianblack

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've seen that The Captivate has a battery and reception issue, but has the best overall hardware on the planet for android based phones to this date. This will be my 1st time getting a samsung device let alone and Android based OS. Should I wait? Symbian isnt evolving as fast as Android. Honest/Serious answers. I'm up for a upgrade so I'm a ready. I REALLY dont want to go Iphone and I probably wont even get one still.

swamprat96

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
No reception problems or battery problems here. Battery lasts 2 days (same as my old Storm 2) and reception is better than the storm.

My only complaint is the email app- it is slow and doesn'y always poll unless the phone is restarted. Tried MailDroid and its too slow to. K9 is too basic for me

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
No reception problems or battery problems here. Battery lasts 2 days (same as my old Storm 2) and reception is better than the storm.

My only complaint is the email app- it is slow and doesn'y always poll unless the phone is restarted. Tried MailDroid and its too slow to. K9 is too basic for me

MailDroid should be slow just to retrieve email as I make a live connection to the server. This will change in the next version to allow you the option to download the message body or XXX kb of the message.

anon(50543)

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to the Android phones, but after playing with it for a week, I hate to give it to my wife, I picked the Captivate for her, so far no major complaints on battery usage or signal issues.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I love my Captivate and what Maildroiddev stated about Maildroid is slow sometimes it can freeze up but it responds after a couple of minuets. My mom and sister loved my phone they both picked them up 2 - 3 days after I bought mine. I came over from a BlackBerry and I feel I made the smartest move going to Android and the Captivate! No Battery Issues or reception problems at all...

Cheers,
Charlie

lostnsand

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
The reception seems fine and the battery last pretty long because I don't have any apps on the phone worth playing with. My Captivate shuts down on it's own, and theres the GPS issue. Switched back to my iPhone 3Gs the other day. Don't waste your money until the bugs are worked out of this phone!

Last edited:

RobertInCypress

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
the Captivate is awesome. the only issue i have is the GPS & there is a fix in the works. AT&T doesn't look like they will get a better android phone anytime soon.

prim8

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The reception seems fine and the battery last pretty long because I don't have any apps on the phone worth playing with. My Captivate shuts down on it's own, and theres the GPS issue. Switched back to my iPhone 3Gs the other day. Don't waste your money until the bugs are worked out of this phone!

Sounds like you have a bad phone or a bad app. I have had mine since release and it hasn't ever shut down on its own.
Take it back and get a new one.
My Captivate is vastly better than my jailbroken 3GS.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Most of the battery complaints come from people who just got their phones. I think they really do have a break-in period of at least a week if not more. If you're still getting poor battery life after that, it's probably a misbehaving app you have installed.

Symbianblack

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
one tidbit that i found out that the back cover ISN'T the reception point of the Captivate. I've taken the cover off of 2 separate units and the bars didnt drop any lower than what it was already sitting at.

mbranscum

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have had two fo these and let me say its the best phone AT&T has. Its a sleeper. On the battery, give it a week or two to break in, and I mean a week or two. It will take that long for you to see maximum battery life.

The battery is great compared to other smartphones. I must admit, after the Blackjack fiasco a few years ago I swore I would never buy another Samsung phone. The reception is above average and the phone is a dream.

Just get it and try it out. You have 30 days if you do not like it.

AndroidDrone

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I've seen that The Captivate has a battery and reception issue, but has the best overall hardware on the planet for android based phones to this date. This will be my 1st time getting a samsung device let alone and Android based OS. Should I wait? Symbian isnt evolving as fast as Android. Honest/Serious answers. I'm up for a upgrade so I'm a ready. I REALLY dont want to go Iphone and I probably wont even get one still.
My Captivate is exceptional.

The reception of this phone is better than my iPhone 4 my BlackBerry 9700 and my Droid X. And that's saying a lot, since I've had a lot of phones over the last five years, and in general Samsungs were not know for good telephone performance. This phone is the exception. It's very clear, holds a signal well, has warm voice tone and is the best phone I've had thus far.

As far as battery life, when I first got mine before I made any changes the battery life was average at best. Now after reducing or turning off several default settings I'm getting exceptional battery life. Since I use my so intensively for the net and email, it's hard to gauge a time, so I will not quote one. What I will do however, is say that it beats my iPhone 4 and Droid X by about 30 to 40% greater run times.

One thing to remember when reading the various reports on forums, it's like the service department at the car dealerships, they get all the ones with problems (besides the regular service jobs) so therefore that's not a fair representation of the brand and model of car. The same applies in forums. And it bit worse really, as we must remember that we are enthusiasts that are generally much pickier than the public and we don't hesitate to complain about issues, some of which are just normal characteristics of the device. No smartphone is perfect, so taking these thoughts into consideration will mitigate the overall impression of the product.

At the end of the day, I set my expectations quite low for this phone, and only bought it because I'm a very long AT&T customer and was offered this phone for a very low price. So I thought why not? I will give it a try.

The shocker (for me) is I actually like this one better than my Droid X, since the Captivates overall size is so sleek, small (for the large display)and light and extremely well made. It's the combination of a plastic inner chassis, the metal body and glass front the makes this one stylish and very nice phone.

psonio7

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I jumped from symbian s60v5 from a n97 mini. Never will I get another Nokia product ever. They are garbage compared to Android. Slow, laggy, lousy ovi store, etc. The only thing that was good was ovi maps, it was a great navigation product, but google maps with nav is just as good. My battery had gotten way better. Had the captivate since July 20th. GPS issues a little here and there, but generally good with the fix. You'll wonder why you wasted time with Symbian after you get an Android.

schoolboy

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Backup batteries can be found for almost nothing ($3). Get a backup.

Reception issues - n ot so much reception, but wifi frequently hiccups when reconnecting. I hope they fix that. If they don't it will be the thing that makes me go to something else when I can without a penalty (1.5 years). My crappy old iphone did this better - much better. Everything else, though, is better on the Captivate. It is very snappy and Android isn't boring like iOS.

Don't be an iTard.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Only issue I have is GPS. Didn't even know there was a possible reception issue till this thread, and my overclocked phone lasts me a day, so that's fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch