How do I take screen shot's?

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone. I was on the internet right now using my captivate and finished what I was doing. I just pressed the back button to exit rather then pressing the home button. My homepage is set to Google. Right before the browser closed a message popped up saying some like screen captured. I went to my gallery and sure enough, there was a screenshot of the Google page.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I was under the assumption that it couldn't be done.

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
The screenshot was of the webpage and not my actual home screen.

Also, I'm not sure if it matters but I did install the froyo update.

Last edited:

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
That is strange. i have an evo and i tried this and nothing. i am also running froyo. can anyone else this on the same device running froyo.

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
It is very strange. *I can not find ANYTHING online anywhere that says how to do this. *One place I saw said to hold down the back button and when the phone vibrates a second time to press home and a screen shot will be taken. *Ive tried that and no matter how long I hold down the back button I dont get a vibration (I due have that option on) and if I press home while holding it down, nothing happens. *There is now a folder/set in my media gallery that says "ScreenCapture" with that one picture in there. *I cant believe I cant find any info on how to get this working.

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You need to root your phone, after that you can use an app called drocap or screenshot. I prefer shootme. This is the easiest way to capture a shootme. I have not heard of the method that you were talking about.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
You need to root your phone, after that you can use an app called drocap or screenshot. I prefer shootme. This is the easiest way to capture a shootme. I have not heard of the method that you were talking about.

Thats what is not making sense. I dont have my phone rooted (unless installing Froyo roots the phone), but somehow I was able to take a screen shot. I didnt do it by choice, I did it by complete accident and cant figure out how. There has to be a way to do it, I did it. The question is how did I do it?

R_3

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
if you go to running services on 2.2 there is a service called screen capture every once and a while on my phone. I havent figured out how to use it yet..

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thats what is not making sense. I dont have my phone rooted (unless installing Froyo roots the phone), but somehow I was able to take a screen shot. I didnt do it by choice, I did it by complete accident and cant figure out how. There has to be a way to do it, I did it. The question is how did I do it?

I got what you were saying, I just have never heard of it so it is something different. Froyo does not root your phone, it does have to be done by you separately. I wish I could be more help.

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I got what you were saying, I just have never heard of it so it is something different. Froyo does not root your phone, it does have to be done by you separately. I wish I could be more help.

No problem, its good to know I'm not the only one who has seen this, as per R_3's reply. I ended up rooting my phone last night so I guess I will just download an app now to take screenshots.