'end of november' promise

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It really doesn't matter if there was a promise or not. The fact that there isn't an update to Froyo yet is absolutely pathetic.

I guess I will eventually root and use the unofficial one, but Samsung has lost me as a future customer.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Folks, it's not Samsungs fault. Captivate source on froyo has been out for over a month now. It's the carriers who are screwing us...

SR4

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got a text from AT&T about an hour ago telling me that there is an update for my phone and to apply it once I am asked to. This is strange since I already have the first update they sent out. Was there a second update that I have missed? Why else would I be receiving this message?

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Folks, it's not Samsungs fault. Captivate source on froyo has been out for over a month now. It's the carriers who are screwing us...

And why is it not Samsungs fault? Why is it all on the carriers? If Samsung does not puch the official Froyo update to the carriers, then its Samsungs fault.

Last i checked, the carriers do not make the operating systems or the updates for them either.

yes, most carriers get bloatware added on, but thats the extent of what they have to do with a particular operating system

Last edited:

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Lots of professionals in this thread....or least some good actors.

First off, where is the official word that the End of November was an actual statement?

Secondly, since when does the blame fall on one side of the coin. I'm not even goin to try to act like I know whats goin on behind the scenes, but I would bet my life's savings that AT&T has a pretty extensive QC (quality control) goin as far as Firmware updates.

Finally, some of you guys are acting like Froyo turns your device into a money printing machine! I'm all for wanting whats mine....but damn, it's just Firmware.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Guys please settle down.

In regards to the "who to blame issue", you could point your finger at either the carrier or the manufacturer but it is not going to fix the problem with not having the update. From what i am aware of, Samsung has create the update but it all depends on if they have created the update for each variation of the device. Also the carrier can receive the update, have their Quality Control department test it out and then reject it because it didn't meet their standards.

If you are/were a verizon customer and had owned the Blackberry Storm (9530) then you would know that the carrier plays a big role in pushing out updates. Every other carrier would release and update for the Storm but Verizon only did a select few and there was a lot of time in between releases.

So this could be anyone's guess on who really is to blame but guys, you have 2 options. 1) Root your phone (if you do decide to root, please do your research on it first and please be aware of the potential down-sides to rooting and not just the positive things) and then load an unofficial rom/update with 2.2. Or 2) Just enjoy your device. Yes, there are a lot of great features in Froyo but there is nothing you can do when it comes to when updates will be pushed.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Didn't the Dell Streak - which came out on AT&T and had an even older version of Android - already get the update to Froyo?

That - plus the fact that none of the Galaxy S phone have the update - brings me to the conclusion it's Samsung's fault.

Plus - was it AT&T's fault that Samsung put out a phone where GPS didn't even work for so many people?

Samsung is to blame here.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So since Samsung put out a below grade GPS....you become a behind the scenes whistle blower?

k...

Not to mention a whole Country currently rolling around with Froyo on their Galaxy S's. Or the fact the T-Mobil Galaxy S's have Froyo as well. source

skippyg

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So since Samsung put out a below grade GPS....you become a behind the scenes whistle blower?

k...

Not to mention a whole Country currently rolling around with Froyo on their Galaxy S's. Or the fact the T-Mobil Galaxy S's have Froyo as well. source

No they don't, the closest they are to an official release is a leak just like our captivates.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

k...

I'm calling this article out. I haven't heard a peep from this anywhere else, and the forums have exploded with people claiming they've hit FroYo.

Be careful what you read...not everything is true.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
eh....I thought I heard of some stateside Froyo on some sort of Galaxy S. My bad on posting the bunk article.

Still not sold on the tie-up being in Samsung's hands...I mean, the fact that the UK has froyo should insinuate something.

EDIT: Curious how my cousins Fascinate had a speech-to-text button on his Swype keypad then? I thought that was just a 2.2 thing....? Unless he bought the phone rooted and ROM'd....I know he's not capable of doin that stuff himself.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
eh....I thought I heard of some stateside Froyo on some sort of Galaxy S. My bad on posting the bunk article.

Still not sold on the tie-up being in Samsung's hands...I mean, the fact that the UK has froyo should insinuate something.

EDIT: Curious how my cousins Fascinate had a speech-to-text button on his Swype keypad then? I thought that was just a 2.2 thing....? Unless he bought the phone rooted and ROM'd....I know he's not capable of doin that stuff himself.

Agreed with the Samsung thing. I'm getting tired of people blaming Samsung for it, because the update HAS been pushed out by Samsung to the carriers. Blame the carriers for the delay, not Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaee