Another wifi issue !! SOLVED !!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Att note 2, rooted, running cleanrom att special edition. There is no att software installed on this handset.
I've had issues with wifi before on this phone, but now it works fine when tethers to my Galaxy Nexus. The tethered connection is secured with WPA2. My Home router is unsecured and I have no Internet access on it with my note. It seems to work for less than a minute, then nothing. Once in awhile it'll do something then back to nothing.
All the other devices work fine. I'm using my Nexus now on home wifi. Netflix is streaming on my Roku box in here, and on the PS3 in my bedroom. My laptop works great.
Keep wifi on during sleep is set to always, auto connect to att wifi is disabled. Check for service is disabled but seems to have no impact when enabled. Notification for open networks is off. Power saving mode is disabled.
I switched the router from channel 11 to 6, and that did nothing. The router only runs on 2.5ghz.
Any ideas on this? This is a deal breaker as I'm using Straight Talk, so I can't rely heavily on the mobile network.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.

Last edited:

cormasco

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Another wifi issue

I had the same problem. I rebooted my router and my phone and it worked again. That was Thursday so almost 2 days with WiFi working. I'm also running cleanrom se I hope the ROM is OK.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, the rom is fine. It did the same thing stock.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Att note 2, rooted, running cleanrom att special edition. There is no att software installed on this handset.
I've had issues with wifi before on this phone, but now it works fine when tethers to my Galaxy Nexus. The tethered connection is secured with WPA2. My Home router is unsecured and I have no Internet access on it with my note. It seems to work for less than a minute, then nothing. Once in awhile it'll do something then back to nothing.
All the other devices work fine. I'm using my Nexus now on home wifi. Netflix is streaming on my Roku box in here, and on the PS3 in my bedroom. My laptop works great.
Keep wifi on during sleep is set to always, auto connect to att wifi is disabled. Check for service is disabled but seems to have no impact when enabled. Notification for open networks is off. Power saving mode is disabled.
I switched the router from channel 11 to 6, and that did nothing. The router only runs on 2.5ghz.
Any ideas on this? This is a deal breaker as I'm using Straight Talk, so I can't rely heavily on the mobile network.

Do you have any Mac filtering on? And you have to have security on with your router if it is connecting to a device with wpa2 as it requires a password.

You may want to double check the settings and maybe try to set the note to.... wait, when you try to connect, does it ask you for a password? If so, try wpa2 and toggle it between aes and tkip (I think it's tkip at the moment) within the note 2.

Sent from Note 2

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

No Mac filtering. There is not any security on my home router. I do have security on my other phone when I use it as a wireless hotspot. The note is fine on the secured hotspot, not on the open router.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

It should just pick it up then? Have you tried completely removing the profile in the phone? Then reseting/setting up the profile? Also, within about device, does it give you an ip address?

And you mentioned the Att smart wifi, did you completely uninstall it? I can't remember but your running stock or custom rom?

Sent from Note 2

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

It should just pick it up then? Have you tried completely removing the profile in the phone? Then reseting/setting up the profile? Also, within about device, does it give you an ip address?

And you mentioned the Att smart wifi, did you completely uninstall it? I can't remember but your running stock or custom rom?

Sent from Note 2

It connects to the router, just doesn't hold Internet access. It does assign an ip and I have forgotten and reconnected, as well as reset the router.
I'm running cleanrom se with no att apps installed.
Quite a stumper.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

It connects to the router, just doesn't hold Internet access. It does assign an ip and I have forgotten and reconnected, as well as reset the router.
I'm running cleanrom se with no att apps installed.
Quite a stumper.

You know what? Try this:

Download the Cleanrom Ace
Do a wipe and cache/davlik
Flash the Ace
Reboot

See what happens. I am going to subscribe to this topic so I will see when you respond. But I think this will work because there was something with the Se and the modem that the Ace fixed.

Sent from Note 2

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I'll have to give this a try when I get home. Is that a rom or just a flashable zip?
Thanks for the idea. I appreciate the help!

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

I'll have to give this a try when I get home. Is that a rom or just a flashable zip?
Thanks for the idea. I appreciate the help!

Its a version of clean rom....
And no problem!

Sent from Note 2

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Deep!

Take it in dude! Sorry I couldn't help you resolve it.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

There's nowhere to take it into. I bought it from a private seller. I'm also not an ATT customer. I think I'm just boned on this one.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Wow, that is terrible. But, if you wanted and felt up to it, I just saw a video on YouTube of someone replacing their s3 screen. In the process of replacing it, they happened to take it the world antennae and if I remember, also the module.

If your interested, pm me and I'll give you the information.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I don't really WANT to take it apart. I don't think I have to either. It works fine with protected networks. I'm just annoyed, I guess.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Wait! You just said something!

Have you tried to set up security in your router? If not, try that and see! It only takes a few minutes to set a username and password along with an encryption type. Then make sure the encryption toe matches in the phone. I just thought about it, but there aren't many devices designed to work on unsecured networks these days. I failed to think about that.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, that does work. I've known that'll work. I have reasons why I keep it unsecured. I was thinking there may be some virtual router software I could run on a pc or my galaxy tab or something that would fake a secured network and share the connection without slowing it down so much. Not sure that such a thing exists.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Then there's nothing wrong with the phone. .

There probably is but I'm out of my realm to be honest as far as unsecured networks.

But on the topic, that's not the device, it's the network.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Okay I figured it out. With the note 2, you either need it protected or completely unprotected. You may not have an unsecured network with WPS available. If you do the note tells the router where to go.
If you plan on using your phone in an unprotected wifi network, go into the router settings and completely disable WPS. It'll work like a dream.
Big huge thanks to MatroxD for helping me reason this out. If you need anything buddy, give me a hollar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty