Gnote II October? Where's ICS on original Gnote?

waynezo

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It is nice that Gnote II is in the works but how about ICS that was promised for the first one. Just sayin.......

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
It is nice that Gnote II is in the works but how about ICS that was promised for the first one. Just sayin.......

I know people are waiting on the ICS upgrade, but I want to remind everyone of what Samsung says at the end of their ICS upgrade announcement:

"Get Ready for the new Galaxy Note experience made possible with Premium Suite. Available 2Q 2012. Features, functions, update schedules, download methods & etc. will be subject to changes depending on country or carrier."

I realize there are different opinions, but what I get out of this statement is that the ICS upgrade will be available (ready if you want it), 2Q 2012 (no later than June 30 2012). However, the features (what it will entail), functions (how it will work), update schedule (when it will be released), download methods & etc (over the air or via a computer), will be subject to changes (at the discretion of), depending on country or carrier (in my case USA & At&t).

With this opinion in mind I can only imagine it's less likely that Samsung and FCC are holding up the process, and more likely the folks at At&t.

Last edited:

Reggie

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I know people are waiting on the ICS upgrade, but I want to remind everyone of what Samsung says at the end of their ICS upgrade announcement:

"Get Ready for the new Galaxy Note experience made possible with Premium Suite. Available 2Q 2012. Features, functions, update schedules, download methods & etc. will be subject to changes depending on country or carrier."

I realize there are different opinions, but what I get out of this statement is that the ICS upgrade will be available (ready if you want it), 2Q 2012 (no later than June 30 2012). However, the features (what it will entail), functions (how it will work), update schedule (when it will be released), download methods & etc (over the air or via a computer), will be subject to changes (at the discretion of), depending on country or carrier (in my case USA & At&t).

With this opinion in mind I can only imagine it's less likely that Samsung and FCC are holding up the process, and more likely the folks at At&t.

Reggie

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ATT has always been the choke point for software updates. But on the other hand they have to test the new software to insure that there are no issues

StaplesJohn

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
First, Q1, then Q2, then rumors of the next Android, Jelly Bean, when Google has not updated their latest and greatest devices with ICS. This is what is called a fragmented market and if Google and the hardware manufacturers, including providers, continue on this path and are unable to see what will happen here, they are truly lost in what the consumer will put up with. My prediction, no matter the greatness of the devices and the operating systems, if updates are untimely and scattered, so too, will be the users.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
First, Q1, then Q2, then rumors of the next Android, Jelly Bean, when Google has not updated their latest and greatest devices with ICS. This is what is called a fragmented market and if Google and the hardware manufacturers, including providers, continue on this path and are unable to see what will happen here, they are truly lost in what the consumer will put up with. My prediction, no matter the greatness of the devices and the operating systems, if updates are untimely and scattered, so too, will be the users.

IMO Samsung has done their part. The rest depends on the country and carrier. In the case of the Note, I believe the problem for those waiting for ICS in the states is the carrier (At&t).

I like the Note just like it is (that's why I bought it), but I guess I can understand why getting an update is important to some.

Galaxy Note! Phone. Tablet. Planner. Notepad. eReader. The only device I need!

StaplesJohn

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I like the Note as well, just the way it is, but when something is promised, I expect it. And I don't care whom someone thinks is to blame, it will be Samsung and Android whom pays, just the way most consumers will see it.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
They have already started pushing the ICS update with Premium suite to the International versions of the GNote.

The i717 has had 2 ICS leaks both of which I have used. The first was wonky resulting in a bunch of forced closes on my GNote. The 2nd has been much better, but it's not perfect I still get a forced close and yesterday using Voice Talk - my phone just restarted x 3 for no reason whatsoever and I am running the 2nd leak at the moment.

I am sure they are working on it and based on this leak they are close.

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I gave up on receiving the ICS update for the Note. I will continue to use the GSM Nexus until further notice. I was forced into this device and did not choose it by choice. My old device was dead and this was my option. Big thanks to AT&T for making me wait until March 2013 to unload it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is my thought on how these problems can all be solved.

First, Google creates the operating system. They then send documentation to the hardware vendors and the carriers explaining what new features or changes in old features that are to be included.

The vendors then create their UI interfaces or go with a default Google UI and submit any apps to Google for inclusion in the OS for their devices. Vendors know what hardware they are going to use, so they can include driver software for their particular hardware. If more than one model, this gets accomplished for all models with hardware variances.

Then the carriers send their apps that they want included in the OS as well as any widgets that are installed with stock setups.

Google can then test radios and things like interference and battery life as well as app crashes before sending the updates OTA from Google servers.

I mean you can't honestly tell me that a vendor like Samsung can't add their TouchWiz UI, test for functionality, then send to at&t. At&t then adds their apps and turns off features as needed in the OS, then test for functionality. Next is to release the OS update. Why does there seem to be so many delays.

It just doesn't seem feasible in my mind.

rahsaanabdul

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I too had grown tired of waiting on at&t so I rooted my gnote (extremely easy) last night with a fast, and flawless ics Rom. It's the best thing I've done with my note so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Minotking

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This is probably going to happen too lol

this is what I'm thinking has anyone heard anything from AT&T about when this update is going to be released. And I would root it but for some reason I can't seem to root it on my macbook pro running OS X Lion 10.7.4

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
OK so we already know ICS has been seen running at the show in New Orleans by AC not long ago. AT&T is the hold up here and nothing we can do but wait or root. This really blows AT&T needs to get in gear and get ICS out to us asap..I have been waiting patiently like many others but i am tired of waiting for something that has already been seen working in the wild.

Come on AT&T pull your head out and get this done already!