Is anyone worried about having to pay for AI features after the ‘free’ period ends?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Apple has their users trained to do subscriptions... Samsung has been mimicking apple a lot in this area lately.
Samsung hasn't been mimicking Apple very well unfortunately, because they've been losing market share to the Fruit for years now. Just recently Apple passed Samsung for market share worldwide, and they passed them in the US several years ago.

I think one of the problems is Apple offers top shelf customer service, where Samsung offers some of the worst, even though they charge the same prices for their phones, and in some cases, Samsung's are substantially more expensive.

Plus making fun of something Apple does, then copying them the next year makes Samsung look disingenuous and untrustworthy. I currently use a Samsung, and will never own an iPhone, but Samsung could really stand to work on their reputation, and customer support, if they want to stop losing market share to Apple ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

On a side note I've noticed people are trusting Samsung less and less with their data... not a good direction to be trending 😯

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not worried about it. When they start to charge for it, I'm out.
I personally have no use for AI, and if/when they start to charge for it, and it affects any of the core features of the phone, I'm out as well 😉

One cool thing about the modern Internet, is that companies scan the web for keywords concerning their companies, to monitor the general feelings from consumers towards their companies. I actually read some very informative articles about that, and forums like ours were specifically mentioned.

Believe me, what we discuss these companies are very aware of. Quite often our particular forum comes up on top of the list when you search a phone related question/comment 😉

So what you say does have an impact, along with how you spend your money 💰 😜

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung hasn't been mimicking Apple very well unfortunately, because they've been losing market share to the Fruit for years now. Just recently Apple passed Samsung for market share worldwide, and they passed them in the US several years ago.

I think one of the problems is Apple offers top shelf customer service, where Samsung offers some of the worst, even though they charge the same prices for their phones, and in some cases, Samsung's are substantially more expensive.

Plus making fun of something Apple does, then copying them the next year makes Samsung look disingenuous and untrustworthy. I currently use a Samsung, and will never own an iPhone, but Samsung could really stand to work on their reputation, and customer support, if they want to stop losing market share to Apple ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

On a side note I've noticed people are trusting Samsung less and less with their data... not a good direction to be trending
From what I've heard, Apples customer service is also pretty awful these days, but it is hard to imagine it being worse than Samsung's.

I think the issue may be the opposite, Samsung may be mimicking Apple too well. Samsung may have been listening to Apples hype and don't realise that a lot of us, their users, do not consider ourselves temporarily embarrassed iPhone users and are actually avoiding using iPhones purposely. The more Galaxy devices resemble iPhones, the less reason there is to buy a Galaxy device rather than an iPhone.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I personally have no use for AI, and if/when they start to charge for it, and it affects any of the core features of the phone, I'm out as well

One cool thing about the modern Internet, is that companies scan the web for keywords concerning their companies, to monitor the general feelings from consumers towards their companies. I actually read some very informative articles about that, and forums like ours were specifically mentioned.

Believe me, what we discuss these companies are very aware of. Quite often our particular forum comes up on top of the list when you search a phone related question/comment

So what you say does have an impact, along with how you spend your money
They did bring back scheduled restarts, pointless though it may be.

Reactions: J Dubbs

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I never worry about stuff that might or might not happen.
Infact trivial nonsense like that is nothing to worry about at all.

Let's see what happens in 2 years or so.

Sent from my PGT-N19 using AC Forums mobile app
Neither do I. This charging idea will be highly dependent on the popularity and what the competition does, and I imagine there will be third party options offered later.

The iPhone has their satellite option and that feature is suppose to move to a subscription, but apple announced that the free service was extended.. So as you said, don't sweat it till they want to charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung will give AI free for a year on new phones, so us normal yearly upgraders might get it free for a long time yet, who knows. Just enjoy it for now while it's free.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Neither do I. This charging idea will be highly dependent on the popularity and what the competition does, and I imagine there will be third party options offered later.

The iPhone has their satellite option and that feature is suppose to move to a subscription, but apple announced that the free service was extended.. So as you said, don't sweat it till they want to charge.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung will give AI free for a year on new phones, so us normal yearly upgraders might get it free for a long time yet, who knows. Just enjoy it for now while it's free.
Apple painted themselves into a corner with the satellite thing. First time some novice hiker wearing Nike's and a t-shirt gets horribly lost in the woods and can't contact anyone because they forgot to get the subscription it's going to be a PR slaughterfest! The media will feast like the brown bear that stumbles onto our imaginary hiker.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Apple painted themselves into a corner with the satellite thing. First time some novice hiker wearing Nike's and a t-shirt gets horribly lost in the woods and can't contact anyone because they forgot to get the subscription it's going to be a PR slaughterfest! The media will feast like the brown bear that stumbles onto our imaginary hiker.
I'm a little different. If you are a novice hiker and want a service and choose not to pay for it then there is no bad PR for the company if you all of a sudden need it, IMO.

We have several services that are subscription based for safety, alarm systems for your house, OnStar for vehicles that will contact emergency services if you get in a accident.. If a person chooses not to pay for the service then that company is not being paid to monitor you, so you're on your own as you the consumer chose not to use it

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little different. If you are a novice hiker and want a service and choose not to pay for it then there is no bad PR for the company if you all of a sudden need it, IMO.

We have several services that are subscription based for safety, alarm systems for your house, OnStar for vehicles that will contact emergency services if you get in a accident.. If a person chooses not to pay for the service then that company is not being paid to monitor you, so you're on your own as you the consumer chose not to use it
That's all well and good, but we both know it's not how the world of media and PR work lol

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
like many of us here, though not all, if we get a new phone annually anyway, wouldn't that mean we don't pay the subscription fee for AI even IF it were to be true?

we'll sort of have a rolling "new" subscription that is free for the first x months, say 24 months, and if we get a new phone every year or even every two years, we'll never have to pay for AI, right?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The thing that could be problematic is if these subscriptions require customers to opt out otherwise, the subscriptions automatically renew. That already happens with all the things that offer 'free trials'. How many customers just keep paying because they forgot to opt out? I'm sure this will be exactly that way.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would have to see how it plays out and how important it is to me , most likely won't be but come on Samsung you already charge a premium even if you added 1.00 more for your device x millions you sell you made your money for those features. I believe they will get a good amount of backlash probably won't charge.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I would have to see how it plays out and how important it is to me , most likely won't be but come on Samsung you already charge a premium even if you added 1.00 more for your device x millions you sell you made your money for those features. I believe they will get a good amount of backlash probably won't charge.
I agree with you. I'll wait and see what happens.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you. I'll wait and see what happens.
Ad me to the 'wait & see' list. I'm guessing if the A.I. feature is on-device that it will probably remain free, but if cloud-based, it may roll to a pay service. Hoping that all the Samsung Note A.I. is on-device. I really loved those features. 😍

But it's definitely too early for me to be concerned about it.
☺️

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail