My stock Contacts app was deleted/uninstalled. How to replace?

dhmcdonald

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how it happened, but my stock Contacts app is no longer on my phone. The Contacts storage is there, as an addon dialer can still make calls to existing contacts. I cannot, however, add contacts or do anything else that requires the Contacts app.

My Note has never been rooted and is running only apps from the Google Play store. I am hoping that there is a way to simply reinstall the apk if one is available, but I am interested in any suggestions people have.

Thanks!

dhmcdonald

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Update:
I obtained a copy of the Contacts apk file and attempted to install it. Installation failed as it said there was already a file by that name. Does this mean that a factory/hard reset would restore the Contacts app?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

KSoD

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
A reset should fix the issue. But that doesn't mean it wont happen again. There can be no real explanation as to why it happened. At most we can guess. Have you tried a 3rd party contact app just to see if it is system wide or just the default app?

shivagarwal

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all... New to this thread and android. I currently have a Samsung s3 with jb 4.1.2 on it. After the upgrade I have realised contacts app has a little more lag while loading. I have read that installing a third party contacts app could be one quick workaround. However if I install a third part contacts app... Will it delete/uninstall the stock contacts app? Not being able to get this answer anywhere! Thanks!