For everyone on limited data plans - navigate without data

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's been mentioned in here, but I wanted to remind everyone about how to use navigation without using data. You can activate a cached copy of google maps via Labs and navigate with your data off. Just run your map, hit settings, select More, then Labs, and scroll down to pre-cache map area. Pressing on it activates it and then just follow the instructions on how to use it on your phone.

If you already knew this, never mind:) If you didn't, hope it helps:)

Last edited:

BugDad25

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
does anybody know if you have an area cached yet you have data access will the online maps, which might be more current, override

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
does anybody know if you have an area cached yet you have data access will the online maps, which might be more current, override

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the thanks:) I think, if you have data on, the active data will override the cached map area. I'm only guessing though. I'm thinking the active data map is the default. Let us know if you find that to be the case.

TwinSac

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
When I hit more all I see is the help tab and terms, privacy, notices tab. Do I need to do something to get the labs tab to show up?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. Is your data on? If you run the stock map app and go to settings, then More, Labs should be first on the list. If it's not there, quit the map app. Go to settings for your phone, then applications, then manage applications. Find maps on the list, press to open and hit clear data. Reboot your phone and try again. Let me know what happens.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks! I sometimes navigate in areas without really good data coverage or EDGE so this will definitely come in handy. :3

Thanks for the thanks! I have several cached copies of map areas where the data is really iffy and I use a cached copy for around town. Even though I'm on unlimited, ATT throttles me if I hit 10g. I haven't hit it yet, but try to keep it down using cached map areas. Glad it worked for you!

j-bo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I had this question last week. I emailed mapquest to see if they had an offline app in the works, they said, no. Google maps? No.

I ended up with the trial version of SYGIC. I will be buying that as it has worked pretty dang good for me.

Here is that thread on the subject as I looked at all of the offline apps available:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-applications/128013-gps-navigation-offline-copilot-live-users.html

I hope that works well for you. I think the only difference is that google maps offline is free. I'm not sure why anyone would say google doesn't offer offline navigation when they do, but you can always check it out yourself to see if it will work for you.:)

TwinSac

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. Is your data on? If you run the stock map app and go to settings, then More, Labs should be first on the list. If it's not there, quit the map app. Go to settings for your phone, then applications, then manage applications. Find maps on the list, press to open and hit clear data. Reboot your phone and try again. Let me know what happens.

I cleared the data, re-booted the phone and I still dont see the Labs tab. I have an update that I can uninstall but Im not sure what the update contained.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
My pop-up under More shows as follows:

Labs
Switch Account
Cache Settings
Help
Terms, Privacy & Notices

I've updated and still see the menu above. Try going back to Manage Applications and this time, press on Clear Cache. That should do it...I hope:)

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you need to have labs enabled on your main Google account? However, I thought Google Labs ceased operations October 17, 2011?

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Hum... I have the Labs option as well.
I am on "Version 5.11.0 (#5110018) gmm-android-samsung"
Menu - More -
In order from the top I have:
Labs
Cache Settings
Help
Terms, Privacy & Notices
About

j-bo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You still need to be online to start the navigation. So if you are out and about and decide to go somewhere, you'll need to get online to get started. No big deal if you have a signal though. Then turn off the data and head on your way.

I'll see how the turn by turn is on my commute home. I'll especially take a different route to see how the re-routing is.

Keep in mind, that pre-cache is beta and everything can be removed at any given time. Hopefully, this is there attempt at actually going off line and allowing you to download and store maps to your device or better yet, your memory card.

The reason I chose SYGIC is because it worked just like my daughters stand alone garmin GPS. It is easy to use and never need to be online to use it. Some things you do need to be online for though, but not the turn by turn directions which I was mainly looking for.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you need to have labs enabled on your main Google account? However, I thought Google Labs ceased operations October 17, 2011?

They discontinued some of the more obscure project labs, but gmail and maps labs are uneffected.

I do access labs through gmail. I don't remember if I enabled it or not. This might do the trick for anyone who doesn't see Labs in their map settings!

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You still need to be online to start the navigation

My cached maps work fine without data. I thik they made this available specifically for times when there is no network access, so it would be terrible if we had to have data access in order to access data that's supposed to be accessible when we don't have data access. I just re-read that sentence! Wow...lol. When I travel to remote areas where I have no data access, I thank heaven for the cached map areas. They're stored in my maps cache and stay there until I clear them.

Last edited:

j-bo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Who knows.. maybe I'm not doing something right.

I go to maps, settings, cache settings, pre-cached maps, select end point, then click on navigation symbol. It says... data connection lost if I'm offline. Once online, it will load up the directions. Once loaded, I turn off wifi. Of course, I'm not driving at work... so once off, I'll see how it works.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Try running your map with data off. Touch a part of the map you've cached. When the address popup comes up, press it. You'll have the option there to select the cached map. Let us know if this works for you. If not, we'll figure it out :)

I think when you go into cached maps and select navigation, it's using the active data map. When you open the map and just press a location in an area you cached, it's beginning navigation in the offline cached data, if that makes any sense at all! :)

This should work if you turn off all data under setting, network, mobile networks.

Last edited:

j-bo

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Nope.. says "data connection lost" while trying to get "driving directions".

Must turn online to get the driving directions.