4.0.4 Update

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I am running the stock AT&T OTA 4.0.4 ROM. I have had my share of Black Screen Lockups but found something that works for me. I am restarting my phone each morning, never turning off WiFi, no apps disabled. I have yet to have a lockup in the few weeks since I started rebooting each morning. Battery is doing fine without turning off WiFi. Seems to run fast so I am happy for now until we get JB.

barotropic

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Not to be discouraging, but I tried the "restart each morning" trick, and it didn't seem to help.

But on a more positive note, after 3 weeks of running SuperNexus (JB 4.1.2), I'm thrilled. The phone has never, since I got it more than a year ago, been so reliable. =No= SOD's, reboots, lockups...NONE! Great battery life, smooth operation, and every feature I use works perfectly.

I was looking forward to a new GS3 at contract renewal time, but now I'm thinking this GS2 is too nice to give up.

impalagurl82

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been scanning through the discussion here and I think the update just made my phone worse. It would constantly shut off . I had to take the battery out and put it back in for it to come back on. I am on my third replacement phone with the update and it does the same thing. The only solution I found was by researching on a different forum and I have the load monitor app. I have no idea what it really does but it solved the problem. only downfall is it drains my battery.

latz333

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Not to be discouraging, but I tried the "restart each morning" trick, and it didn't seem to help.

But on a more positive note, after 3 weeks of running SuperNexus (JB 4.1.2), I'm thrilled. The phone has never, since I got it more than a year ago, been so reliable. =No= SOD's, reboots, lockups...NONE! Great battery life, smooth operation, and every feature I use works perfectly.

I was looking forward to a new GS3 at contract renewal time, but now I'm thinking this GS2 is too nice to give up.

I am right there with you. After fighting my phone since the upgrade I finally decided that it was time to root and load a different ROM. After some initial issues, I finally got it to go through and have been using the SuperNexus (JB 4.1.1) ROM for a couple of days now with no issues at all. The ROM works great and I have not had a lockup or anything since I flashed. It took about an hour to get used to the new GUI and I now love it. I was also thinking about getting the G3 but now this will get me through until the G4 comes out later this year.

BGood2

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm tempted to try a custom ROM, but it seems every time I dig in and read more, there's always *something* that won't work. Depending upon the ROM, I've heard the broken things are:

*64GB microSD not readable (Samsung says "not supported", but with my AT&T Galaxy S2 it worked fine with 2.3.6 and 4.0.3)
*MHL (microUSB to HDMI)
*Video recording
*Netflix

There may have been a few more I'm forgetting.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide on which custom ROM. I know I don't want to upgrade often, so anything with a "nightly" or even "monthly" won't cut it. And the above 4 items for me are "must haves".

So, anyone care to chime in, please?

TxAndroidGuy

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
BGood2,

After the Sleep/Screen of Death issues with 4.0.4, I rooted and installed AOKP 4.1.2 and am running their latest 4.2.1 and haven't had any issues. Calls come in clear, bluetooth, Netflix, USB, wifi, everything works. DashClock works great on it too. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it. Thanks for the screw up AT&T, I'll never go back to stock again. :)

BGood2

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the information, especially Netflix. Now I just need confirmation of 64GB microSD, MHL, and video recording, and I should be ready to go! :)

barotropic

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
As for the SuperNexus ROM (version 1/ build 5 / JB 4.1.2, which is to say, not SuperNexus 2.0), I can tell you that video recording and Netflix work perfectly. I don't use MHL, and don't own a 64GB microSD, so can't tell you about those.

BGood2

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
As for the SuperNexus ROM (version 1/ build 5 / JB 4.1.2, which is to say, not SuperNexus 2.0), I can tell you that video recording and Netflix work perfectly. I don't use MHL, and don't own a 64GB microSD, so can't tell you about those.

Thanks for the information, though! I'm adding to my "knowledge base"!

dthomasss

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my phone unlocked in USA a year ago because i work and live overseas. It came with Gingerbread and I had no problems upgrading to ICS 4.0.3 but this morning Kies sent notificatrion of update to 4.0.4 so i installed it and I could no longer access my local network provider. I went to a local shop to have them try to unlock it but they had to do a factory reset. My sim works now but when I try to do a restore data etc through Kies it looks like it is doing it but then at the end says it failed. I want to try and update to 4.0.3 again but Kies only gives the 4.0.4 option. Appreciate any help as I don't want to mess around with rooting and I am afraid that if i update to 4.0.4 again it won;t recognize my sim.

mulasien

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Like I posted in another thread, this entire episode has helped to convert this once die-hard Android fan into an iOS convert. Because eventually, you just get tired of dealing with this crap and just want a phone that actually works. I like tinkering with stuff in order to make it better. If I have to spend hours tinkering with a phone just to make it basically work, then it gets old, FAST.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Like I posted in another thread, this entire episode has helped to convert this once die-hard Android fan into an iOS convert. Because eventually, you just get tired of dealing with this crap and just want a phone that actually works. I like tinkering with stuff in order to make it better. If I have to spend hours tinkering with a phone just to make it basically work, then it gets old, FAST.

I wish you all the best with iOS.

I will say that a great number of the problems in Android come from the fact that there are so many carrier/manufacturer-specific implementations of it, and Apple does have the advantage of a single central build with just a few radio tweaks. So when something goes terribly wrong with iOS, it affects ALL handsets and Apple and the carriers get on it right quick.

This is why the solution for many of us (when possible) is to nuke the manufacturer-specific firmware that has the carrier-specific mods and go with something that is more of an up-to-date and vanilla Android experience when we have problems with specific handsets. Of course, the other option is to get a handset from the Nexus line, which are by definition closer to "pure" Android and are updated with bug fixes quickly.

The trouble is that iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc are operating systems, packaged as a whole. Android is a toolkit that manufacturers use to make their own operating system, and there's some flexibility there, and the inconsistency that comes as a natural result of the flexbility.

Nexus might have been a good choice for you, but if you're happy in iOS, it's all good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch