Anyone got Jelly Bean yet? Its supposedly going to be released this week on AT&T

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's a news story from last Wednesday and only a few more days for this rumor.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

iPhoneatWork

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I really hope those rumors were true! Its supposed to be the latest version of Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with the multi-window feature that the Note 2 has

Read about it here
Samsung Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update for AT&T coming next week? (Rumor) | Pop Herald Technology News

I'd say the update is coming Friday or early next week. Att is launching the Galaxy camera on November 16th. It comes with jelly bean. The galaxy camera is basically the Galaxy s3 with a big lens.

http://bgr.com/2012/11/13/att-samsung-galaxy-camera-release-date-499-99-jellybean/

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you guys just flash to a custom rom? They're so much better than the stock rom. Anyone can do it as long as you can read. Seriously. Why wait for AT&T???

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you guys just flash to a custom rom? They're so much better than the stock rom. Anyone can do it as long as you can read. Seriously. Why wait for AT&T???
Because we really shouldn't have to root to get updates to our OS and have things not work right that we use. Might as well wait since most ROM's aren't stable till around official update releases or after. Apple can do it, Google can do it, and that's it plus the bottom two U.S. carriers got it out before the top two. It's pretty sad tbh.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, Sprints first now T-Mobile, two lesser carriers get the jump before two of the biggest carriers, very odd. I still say this week or next. I wonder if Google Now can be opened the same way as SVoice?

savingsfriend

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I will never buy an Android device direct from the carriers again... I'm hoping Google releases a Nexus 4 w/ LTE in the coming months, I will surely dump my AT&T S3.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Because we really shouldn't have to root to get updates to our OS and have things not work right that we use. Might as well wait since most ROM's aren't stable till around official update releases or after. Apple can do it, Google can do it, and that's it plus the bottom two U.S. carriers got it out before the top two. It's pretty sad tbh.

While I don't disagree with everything you said, your still a little misleads on custom roms. Have you tried the rom Liquid Smooth or AOKP by Task 650? Those are pure Jelly Bean roms and run very well with very little bugs. Even stock the stock rom has bugs. You won't any stock rom nor custom rom bug free.

There are also several very smooth running custom roms based entirely on stock. I don't know any off the top of my head, but you should try it out. A while ago I use to be nervous but just kept reading up on it and became a pro at flashing roms.

It's nice because most developers update weekly, maybe even more. Thts my incentive right there haha.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not mislead at all. They either have different bugs or lack features (radios, cameras, small features, ect.) that take up until or around when the carrier releases a update to fix because devs use bits of those in those custom ROMS and dissect update leaks to fix what wasn't working in theirs. I'm aware how it's done and I've not noticed any on stock ICS so it can be done evidently. I'm also aware AT&T needs to shove their bloatware in (causing the delay more than likely) but it's piss poor when the lower two can get it out before the upper two carriers. I wouldn't like updating nightly either at all to get a stable release after x amount of updates. It's counter-productive to say the least.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Using a custom rom takes away all the Samsung features such as WiFi Direct, Kies Air, All Share, and I think all the gestures

Supposedly AT&T version of Jelly bean will have the multi window feature (like the Note 2), which those with custom roms will miss out on....I'll stick with stock

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Using a custom rom takes away all the Samsung features such as WiFi Direct, Kies Air, All Share, and I think all the gestures

Supposedly AT&T version of Jelly bean will have the multi window feature (like the Note 2), which those with custom roms will miss out on....I'll stick with stock
This is what I was getting at. Touchwiz is fine with me and I like most of the features Samsung put in it. I actually use them fairly often and a ROM would pretty much screw me out of them. Kies works fine with my computer and phone amazingly enough.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
There are always those who MUST get the latest version of Android the moment it becomes available. As others have pointed out, this is a good way to get back to a "stock Android" experience if you dislike the customized versions from various manufacturers. There will then be the people who will go to a custom firmware if the device manufacturer has abandoned that device. In this case, many people who bought their S3(myself included) within the past two months have been hearing "by the end of September", then "October/November". Now, with only 2-3 weeks of waiting, many will just wait it out to get the "official" version for their device.

That is why so many people are annoyed, because the stock ICS that came with the S3 really is very nice, so people are willing to wait a few weeks. The problem here is that we have this carrot that keeps getting yanked out of reach, and NOW, we see others happily chewing on their carrot while we are stuck waiting. Being told to keep waiting over and over, with ZERO communication about what is causing the delay is more annoying than waiting with regular updates, and it is more annoying yet when other "lesser carriers" have released the update.

Basically, someone at AT&T needs to be slapped over this delay without any communication with the customers. Telling us that a new update just came in from Samsung that adds the split screen feature and AT&T wants to delay releasing JB so customers can get the NEW version would be perfectly acceptable to me.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
This is what I was getting at. Touchwiz is fine with me and I like most of the features Samsung put in it. I actually use them fairly often and a ROM would pretty much screw me out of them. Kies works fine with my computer and phone amazingly enough.

Most custom roms based on stock don't remove all the cool Samsung features, only the carrier bloatware. I forget the name of the rom, but with my AT&T Galaxy S2, the custom rom I was using was just like the stock one but way better. It included way more customization and performance and battery life were excellent.

Of course the pure Jelly Bean roms do remove all the Samsung features, but you can always make a Nandroid and go back and fourth. :D

card0124

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
There are always those who MUST get the latest version of Android the moment it becomes available. As others have pointed out, this is a good way to get back to a "stock Android" experience if you dislike the customized versions from various manufacturers. There will then be the people who will go to a custom firmware if the device manufacturer has abandoned that device. In this case, many people who bought their S3(myself included) within the past two months have been hearing "by the end of September", then "October/November". Now, with only 2-3 weeks of waiting, many will just wait it out to get the "official" version for their device.

That is why so many people are annoyed, because the stock ICS that came with the S3 really is very nice, so people are willing to wait a few weeks. The problem here is that we have this carrot that keeps getting yanked out of reach, and NOW, we see others happily chewing on their carrot while we are stuck waiting. Being told to keep waiting over and over, with ZERO communication about what is causing the delay is more annoying than waiting with regular updates, and it is more annoying yet when other "lesser carriers" have released the update.

Basically, someone at AT&T needs to be slapped over this delay without any communication with the customers. Telling us that a new update just came in from Samsung that adds the split screen feature and AT&T wants to delay releasing JB so customers can get the NEW version would be perfectly acceptable to me.

I spoke with an AT&T rep and he told me the reason that it is taking them longer to release the update because they test the update more extensively then the other companies because they want to ensure that they put out software without issues. I know this is just something that they are saying to try and paint them in a better light, but they also said that they will know 2-3 days before the update is going to be rolled out that it is going to be released, so that means there is no chance of an update this weekend according to the AT&T rep.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Most custom roms based on stock don't remove all the cool Samsung features, only the carrier bloatware. I forget the name of the rom, but with my AT&T Galaxy S2, the custom rom I was using was just like the stock one but way better. It included way more customization and performance and battery life were excellent.

Of course the pure Jelly Bean roms do remove all the Samsung features, but you can always make a Nandroid and go back and fourth. :D
I know that but why do all that? Some are decent enough but why go through x amount to find one I like with features I want? I use Juice Defender for battery life and other apps for other things all without being rooted or voiding any warranty or contract. I don't see the appeal personally of rooting tbh, I found nothing particularly impressive to even warrant it so I went back to stock. Far as the update dilemma it would be a different story if we weren't told we were getting it back in summer and then wait months while others with the same phone get it. all the while AT&T doesn't have the decency to even answer customers questions on the matter. I'm pretty sure I'm done with Android and AT&T after this disappointment of a "superphone with updates to come". "To come" meaning getting them maybe near the end of my contract pretty much. Maybe anyway.

rumba101

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the anger. We have an excellent phone with great features, why do we feel slighted that there hasn't been an update? Blogs and other sites made it clear from day one that there wouldn't be regular updates to this phone. If regular updates are critical to you, why did you get this phone? You should have gotten a Nexus. Frankly, this phone is great as is, if I get the update soon great, if not, so what? Stop being spoiled brats with your first world problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
:( Well at this point I highly doubt the update will be out anytime soon. With Thanksgiving coming next week I seriously doubt AT&T is going to drop JB anytime before that and most likely not till the following week at the earliest.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Since you asked, the basic idea is that when cool new features that have been hyped are available FOR YOUR DEVICE, but just not on your carrier, that tends to bother people. It is like being just one block away from some arbitrary line that says those one one side of the line get $1,000,000, and if you are on the other side, even if by one foot, you get nothing. If no one had the update, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as when most of the world has it, but because of CARRIERS and not Samsung, we are stuck waiting.

No one enjoys being kept in the dark and told "wait here, we will let you know when you will be allowed in", with zero knowledge or updates on how long it may take, or why you are forced to wait in the dark with zero information. I don't know about you, but most people HATE being kept in the dark.
I don't get the anger. We have an excellent phone with great features, why do we feel slighted that there hasn't been an update? Blogs and other sites made it clear from day one that there wouldn't be regular updates to this phone. If regular updates are critical to you, why did you get this phone? You should have gotten a Nexus. Frankly, this phone is great as is, if I get the update soon great, if not, so what? Stop being spoiled brats with your first world problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer