Are keyboard apps safe?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the Swype Beta v1.3 for approx. three weeks now and?except for a few minor bugs, due to it being the latest beta version?so far, have been really enjoying it. The predictive and anticipated text has been mostly good. Also agree that Swype has fairly 'precise accuracy.' Moreover, I really like the keyboard, and appreciate the eleven different keyboard themes.
I originally thought that the TouchPal keyboard was pretty good, but then realized it didn't have any of the 2nd keyboard characters on it's middle row of letter keys.

Downloaded SwiftKey 3, before trying Swype Beta, but uninstalled SwiftKey 3 shortly thereafter; wasn't crazy about the keyboards and overall predictive/anticipated text set-up, nor the pop-up predictive thingy, but mostly, missed the swyping accuracy of the Swype keyboard.
Btw, there are several 'bad' reviews for SwiftKey 3?in the goo play store user reviews?if you click on 'latest' & 'newest'.

Nevertheless, one can find poor reviews with any and every app. Bottom line . . . it all comes down to what one personally prefers.

When I said no bad reviews of SwiftKey 3, I was just being nice lol. I'm sure they exist.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
One gripe with SwiftKey - it CONSTANTLY inserts the letter I at the beginning of my sentences. I and I can't seem to turn it off. I when I type the first sentence it doesn't, but when I space after the first sentence to type the next one it inserts an I. Any idea how to turn this off?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think I have fixed the problem. It stopped inserting I's.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hate the stock keyboard. Tried downloading some alternative ones but the permissions all say collect password s and credit card numbers. So am I stuck with this junk keyboard or are they safe enough to download? Please advise.
As far as Swype Beta v1.3 and 'permissions' go . . if I recall, it seemed to list about the average amount of 'permissions'. Which I agree, always seems ridiculously excessive.

'Safe'? That's a relative thing I suppose. Personally, I've never, ever kept any passwords and/or credit card numbers in any of our phones, so again, 'safe' is a relative thing depending on the user.

Or, one might say . . . It's all in the phone, of the beholder! :) . . . get it? :). . . Phone of the beholder? . . all in the . . It's . . It's all . . . no? :( Okay, nevermind. ;)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
One gripe with SwiftKey - it CONSTANTLY inserts the letter I at the beginning of my sentences. I and I can't seem to turn it off. I when I type the first sentence it doesn't, but when I space after the first sentence to type the next one it inserts an I. Any idea how to turn this off?

You actually don't need to press the space bar. It adds the spaces for you.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You actually don't need to press the space bar. It adds the spaces for you.

It would add one space at the end of a sentence but when I press it again for the second one it puts an I there. Supposed to be 2 spaces between sentences.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It would add one space at the end of a sentence but when I press it again for the second one it puts an I there. Supposed to be 2 spaces between sentences.

Ya, but version 3 added a feature where you can skip the space bar. Try it. You can even just type different words in order without hitting space at all and it will just add it for you.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Try SwiftKey 3. It's safe and works well. It learns your writing style so well that it is scary.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

This. I LOVE swiftkey. I will never use another keyboard.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
After a week or so of Swype giving me grief, I switched back to SwiftKey3. Boy could I not wait to get back to Swype. It was freezing up on me, and causing certain apps to crashing, but luckily JB fixed all of that!

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm torn between swype and SwiftKey.

Swype is the best pecking keyboard but swype is still great and it works so well.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn between swype and SwiftKey.

Swype is the best pecking keyboard but swype is still great and it works so well.

I feel the same way. You know what's even better? The new version of SwiftKey with swype features. Should be ready very soon.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I feel the same way. You know what's even better? The new version of SwiftKey with swype features. Should be ready very soon.

That I want to try

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That I want to try

The beta will be out soon. Get on the website and sign up. You get to try all the beta releases in advance.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is my first message using SwiftKey flow. So far it appears to look and feel very nice. But I'm not sure that it predicts as well as swype just yet. I have had a few errors. But over all it's pretty cool.