AT&T is lame!

Chris8414

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Man I was at work today, and 2 of my buddies both got an update for jellybean 4.1.2 and there on T MOBILE!!! This is a joke, ATT is a joke when it comes to updates!!!! Does anyone else feel this way???

p/s they both have Galaxy SII

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Kind of but I complained and ended up getting a s4 discounted for my troubles and got to keep my s3 which they unlocked. I can't say anything bad about them but the update situation is very unpleasant for s3 owners of this particular carrier model. It will be a while but will probably be 4.3 you end up getting.

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
It is ridiculous that the AT&T Galaxy SII has been updated to 4.1.2 and the SIII is still on 4.1.1. Yes I agree when it comes to software updates AT&T is very sad.

betsuni

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Learning from having carrier branded (and non-carrier branded) Android devices for the past four years I say you have a few options since updates are so important to you:

1) Buy a phone that is not subsidized by AT&T and gets updates directly from Google or the Manufacturer.
2) Void your warranty (if you still have one) and learn to install a ROM on it.
3) Just realize that AT&T chooses to either update or not update your phone whenever they want.
4) Call AT&T and complain to them how unfair you feel about this.
5) Leave AT&T for another carrier.

There might be more, but those are the ones I've come to realize.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Learning from having carrier branded (and non-carrier branded) Android devices for the past four years I say you have a few options since updates are so important to you:

1) Buy a phone that is not subsidized by AT&T and gets updates directly from Google or the Manufacturer.
2) Void your warranty (if you still have one) and learn to install a ROM on it.
3) Just realize that AT&T chooses to either update or not update your phone whenever they want.
4) Call AT&T and complain to them how unfair you feel about this.
5) Leave AT&T for another carrier.

There might be more, but those are the ones I've come to realize.

I say that #2 is your best option.:p

Chris8414

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I dont want to root my phone, a guy at my worked tried rooting his and bricked it, and is out $600 for a phone now. Rooting has its advantages but i dont want to screw up and not have a phone.

thomasv23

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It's not that dangerous especially if you follow the guide on this forum step by step.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 using the Android Central Forums app

rizzymo

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why should somebody have too root their phone when there is an official update out there that at&t is refusing to give us. This makes absolutely know sense every other carrier has release this update to their customers s3.

Posted via Android Central App

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It makes perfect sense in that it won't work right with their bloatware. I highly doubt it's on purpose especially with all the complaints.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Kind of but I complained and ended up getting a s4 discounted for my troubles and got to keep my s3 which they unlocked. I can't say anything bad about them but the update situation is very unpleasant for s3 owners of this particular carrier model. It will be a while but will probably be 4.3 you end up getting.

How much were you able to get your S4 for, and how did you get AT&T to discount it for you? I'm in the same boat in that I recently had some hardware issues with my phone and am seriously thinking of getting another phone.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
100 plus tax overnighted to me, 106, with an 11 month extension as well as keeping my upgrade for next July and no changes to my contract. The extension part doesn't bother me since I would be using them anyway but it was a fair deal I think. I pay 37 a month for service with data and insurance included so it worked out great on my end. Now I was up for an early upgrade but that price is lower as was the extension for just an early upgrade. I think only 3 maximum have gotten this offer, me included. It really depends on who you talk to and how you talk to them. The guy I talked to was really nice, not a normal tech either as it was in regards to a BBB conplaint and they don't handle those. Good luck, you will need it if you are trying what I did.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm a looong time AT&T customer, who happens to love their sevices. However, i don't like their slow updates, or all the bloatware that they add to their phones(when they finally put out an update). I won't give up my "everything plan", which has been grandfathered in for years, so i found a great workaround that gets rid of their bloatware, keeps their 4G LTE, and doesn't make me a slave to their updates. It's called ROOTING. Stop complaining, and do something about it, or switch carriers. End of story.:p