AT&T HTC One M7 WiFi connection dysfunctional after 5.0.2

tranx341

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Like many others I was super excited to see that I got the Lollipop update (finally). It automatically installed Monday or Tuesday. Ever since then my WiFi has not been able to connect to my home router. I don't think it's an issue with the router as everything else in the house connects just fine. I wasn't too observant when I was at work but will keep an eye on it next week.

The WiFi settings indicate it is connected to my home router, it's working yada yada...but the arrows don't blink. As far as I know the arrows indicate sending and receiving of signals and in the past they've always blinked intermittently, back and forth. Now, they don't blink at all and when I try reconnecting they will blink simultaneously a few times and then nothing. But my phone says it's still connected.

I've tried changing my WiFi Direct name to 'HTC One', forgetting and re-setting up the network, changing my frequency band to 2.4 GHz only, restarting the phone, the router, using the WPS Push feature. Pretty much everything short of resetting the phone.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I've seen other posts about WiFi, but haven't heard anything about this yet. It would be great if I could fix this, or revert to my old Android OS, without having the factory reset my phone. It's very frustrating as it's eating up my data. I think I'm connected, but I'm not and I'm actually using data. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the router using TKIP or AES encryption (on WPA2-PSK)? AES is generally recommended. If that doesn't work, did you try disabling the router security completely, to see if that's the general problem?

tranx341

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy, the router is AES encrypted. I have not tried disabling the router's security yet. I got frustrated yesterday and did a factory reset, it didn't seem to work. Now it appears that my WiFi connection is super intermittent, which is probably why some apps that require WiFi aren't working. I'm still connected says the phone, but it's always searching and will once in a great while receive a signal. Will try the router's security and let you know.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If that doesn't work, go to Settings>Wi-fi, tap Menu>Advanced, and let us know what options you see there.

tranx341

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Disabling the router security did not change how the wifi arrows are blinking. Both arrows still blink simultaneously.

In the Advanced setting I have the options:

Network notification: ON
Auto connect: ON
Wi-Fi WAN detection: OFF
Blocked open network
Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep: Always
Scanning always available: OFF
Wi-Fi frequency band: auto
Install Certificates
Wi-Fi optimization: ON
Auto-switch to mobile network: OFF
MAC address
IP address

I'm starting to think that it's the apps I'm trying to use and not the Wifi connection...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This probably won't help, but try turning Wi-fi Optimization off. It doesn't optimize your connection anyway--it's supposed to optimize your battery usage when connected to wi-fi.