Phone not recognized on win7 by htc sync or as disk drive

noobie_1984

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Im an android newbie as my name would suggest and just made the switch over about 4-5 weeks back from an iPhone3gs. Couldnt be happier with my decision and simply love my inspire 4g so far.

However, I have been having a certain issue with it being recognized on my win 7 64 bit laptop ( Professional edition) for some reason. To be more clear, HTC Sync doesnt recognize my device, neither is my device seen as a disk drive when I connect it. ( Yes i do select the HTC Sync option or the disk drive option as appropriate when I connect it).

I have tried scouring through the different threads on different forums but most of the users seem to either be having a problem with htc sync not recognizing the device or not being able to connect it as a disk drive, but not both.

I called up ATT to help me with it and they forwarded me to HTC support. The HTC engineer asked me to uninstall and reinstall htc sync a couple of times with first my antivirus (AVG) turned off, then uninstalled, but that didnt help.
I did change over to Microsoft security essentials after that , but I guess that is not a required piece of info.

I did try connecting my phone to my friends laptop and work machine and it did show up as a disk drive.It still baffles me what is going wrong on mine though.

My device is still not rooted. That is one of the prime reasons I want it to be recognized on my machine. I guess that really might not make any sense, but Id assume if the communication between the pc and the phone itself doesnt take place, it might just hamper the process and i donot want to end up with a bricked phone.

Il be grateful if either of you guys would be able to help me out with this issue.

Thanks in advance.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Im an android newbie as my name would suggest and just made the switch over about 4-5 weeks back from an iPhone3gs. Couldnt be happier with my decision and simply love my inspire 4g so far.

However, I have been having a certain issue with it being recognized on my win 7 64 bit laptop ( Professional edition) for some reason. To be more clear, HTC Sync doesnt recognize my device, neither is my device seen as a disk drive when I connect it. ( Yes i do select the HTC Sync option or the disk drive option as appropriate when I connect it).

I have tried scouring through the different threads on different forums but most of the users seem to either be having a problem with htc sync not recognizing the device or not being able to connect it as a disk drive, but not both.

I called up ATT to help me with it and they forwarded me to HTC support. The HTC engineer asked me to uninstall and reinstall htc sync a couple of times with first my antivirus (AVG) turned off, then uninstalled, but that didnt help.
I did change over to Microsoft security essentials after that , but I guess that is not a required piece of info.

I did try connecting my phone to my friends laptop and work machine and it did show up as a disk drive.It still baffles me what is going wrong on mine though.

My device is still not rooted. That is one of the prime reasons I want it to be recognized on my machine. I guess that really might not make any sense, but Id assume if the communication between the pc and the phone itself doesnt take place, it might just hamper the process and i donot want to end up with a bricked phone.

Il be grateful if either of you guys would be able to help me out with this issue.

Thanks in advance.
i would reinstall the drivers on the computer and reboot the phone and then try again.

Welcome to the android central family :):)

noobie_1984

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
i would reinstall the drivers on the computer and reboot the phone and then try again.

Welcome to the android central family :):)
By re installing the drivers, you mean reinstall HTC Sync again right?
And by reboot, would it help if I connect it to my computer while the reboot takes place?
Kindly pardon my ignorance..:)

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
By re installing the drivers, you mean reinstall HTC Sync again right?
And by reboot, would it help if I connect it to my computer while the reboot takes place?
Kindly pardon my ignorance..:)

Yes reinstall the sync drivers. And no you don't need to have your phone connected to the computer we just Want to get the phone fresh so everyone can talk to each other without issue.

Shrine Roadrunner

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem. I just kept worrying with it until it finally gave in. Now I can transfer files, pictures, and music. The only thing that I can think of that made it start working; start the htc sync on the computer before plugging in the phone. Good Luck

noobie_1984

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem. I just kept worrying with it until it finally gave in. Now I can transfer files, pictures, and music. The only thing that I can think of that made it start working; start the htc sync on the computer before plugging in the phone. Good Luck
Hello Shrine,

I tried that a couple of times by starting the htc sync first before plugging the phone in. Never worked.
For some reason I do see that when I install htc sync, and the first time I connect the phone, it tries to install the drivers and it says one of the driver didnt install properly. Not sure what to do about it though