A friend just got this phone...

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm sure you all hate threads like this, but one of my best friends just got this phone and she wants me to root and ROM it after seeing what my little Optimus V can do after modding. I'm planning on rooting, getting a recovery on this sucker, and ROMing it for her. This is my first time with an HTC phone. I'm used to my optimus where everthing is a two or three step deal. None of this S-Off stuff :)

So what's good around here? XDA seems like more of the place to go for this phone. I just downloaded the Advanced Ace Hack Kit from over there. I'm planning on following that to get S-Off, root and install CWM. There are just some things I'd like to be sure about.

When using this kit, after it is over, the phone will be stock with root, busybox, and CWM. Am I correct on this? No need to back up anything other then the SD Card prior to running it?

After running said kit, the phone will still have data, correct? It is a little unclear between the different guides I've seen and this kit.

I'm a little confused about the similarities between this phone and the Desire HD. Can any Desire HD ROM be flashed on this phone?

What ROM is good? I'm looking at MIUI (My dream ROM, I've wanted it since I got my phone but it's MDPI so the only hope is the unstable MIUI4 port I just got). The latest MIUI for the inspire over at XDA that I see is from 1/02/2012, but the one for the Desire HD is from 2/01/2012. From MIUI.us, the forum is combined for both phones and the only ROM is MIUI4, which is buggy. I want a rock solid ROM for her, and from what I hear, MIUI is. It sounds smooth, and it's OC-able, so I think I'll go with it. This goes back to my previous question. Can I flash the Desire MIUI (which has been updated more recently) and be done?

What is the deal with radios? For my phone, we only have one radio. None of this flashing different ones. What do they do? Do I need to flash them after flashing a ROM?

Last, is there an easy way to go back to 100% (Or close enough) stock? Just in case there is any need for her to return the phone, I want to be sure there is a stock ROM to flash. Turning S-On and unrooting would be a bonus, but probably unnecessary.

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to answer one or all of my questions. It's much appreciated! If anyone has any other little pointers or tips or things to avoid, throw 'em this way! Oh, and one last thing. Is this a ROM manager supported phone? Or should I shy away? On my phone, ROM Manager has caused more soft bricks then I care to mention, so I can never be to sure.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm sure you all hate threads like this, but one of my best friends just got this phone and she wants me to root and ROM it after seeing what my little Optimus V can do after modding. I'm planning on rooting, getting a recovery on this sucker, and ROMing it for her. This is my first time with an HTC phone. I'm used to my optimus where everthing is a two or three step deal. None of this S-Off stuff :)

So what's good around here? XDA seems like more of the place to go for this phone. I just downloaded the Advanced Ace Hack Kit from over there. I'm planning on following that to get S-Off, root and install CWM. There are just some things I'd like to be sure about.

When using this kit, after it is over, the phone will be stock with root, busybox, and CWM. Am I correct on this? No need to back up anything other then the SD Card prior to running it?

After running said kit, the phone will still have data, correct? It is a little unclear between the different guides I've seen and this kit.

I'm a little confused about the similarities between this phone and the Desire HD. Can any Desire HD ROM be flashed on this phone?

What ROM is good? I'm looking at MIUI (My dream ROM, I've wanted it since I got my phone but it's MDPI so the only hope is the unstable MIUI4 port I just got). The latest MIUI for the inspire over at XDA that I see is from 1/02/2012, but the one for the Desire HD is from 2/01/2012. From MIUI.us, the forum is combined for both phones and the only ROM is MIUI4, which is buggy. I want a rock solid ROM for her, and from what I hear, MIUI is. It sounds smooth, and it's OC-able, so I think I'll go with it. This goes back to my previous question. Can I flash the Desire MIUI (which has been updated more recently) and be done?

What is the deal with radios? For my phone, we only have one radio. None of this flashing different ones. What do they do? Do I need to flash them after flashing a ROM?

Last, is there an easy way to go back to 100% (Or close enough) stock? Just in case there is any need for her to return the phone, I want to be sure there is a stock ROM to flash. Turning S-On and unrooting would be a bonus, but probably unnecessary.

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to answer one or all of my questions. It's much appreciated! If anyone has any other little pointers or tips or things to avoid, throw 'em this way! Oh, and one last thing. Is this a ROM manager supported phone? Or should I shy away? On my phone, ROM Manager has caused more soft bricks then I care to mention, so I can never be to sure.

Thanks again!

That's a lot of questions, but that's good. Better to ask before hand:) I'll try to answer them all.

You are correct about the root process. S-Off, Busybox and CWM installed. The phone won't be wiped. It won't look any different on the surface.

The Inspire and Desire HD are almost identical, but different enough that you should stick to a ROM built for the Inspire. There are a ton of them over at xda. I'm running Android Revolution HD because I like Sense, but there are many Sense and Senseless :)p) ROMs available. It's a personal choice, so you might have to try a few. I haven't used MIUI, so I can't comment on it.

Some ROMs recommend flasing certain radios for optimum performance, but it's usually not necessary unless you like fooling around with that stuff.

The Ace Hack Kit has procedures for unrooting and returning to stock.

Good luck and happy rooting!

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Also, the steps in the hack kit are very explicit. Don't skip anything. Better yet, follow the steps for using the Ubuntu Live CD. Much more simple.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
That's a lot of questions, but that's good. Better to ask before hand:) I'll try to answer them all.

You are correct about the root process. S-Off, Busybox and CWM installed. The phone won't be wiped. It won't look any different on the surface.

The Inspire and Desire HD are almost identical, but different enough that you should stick to a ROM built for the Inspire. There are a ton of them over at xda. I'm running Android Revolution HD because I like Sense, but there are many Sense and Senseless :)p) ROMs available. It's a personal choice, so you might have to try a few. I haven't used MIUI, so I can't comment on it.

Some ROMs recommend flasing certain radios for optimum performance, but it's usually not necessary unless you like fooling around with that stuff.

The Ace Hack Kit has procedures for unrooting and returning to stock.

Good luck and happy rooting!

Also, the steps in the hack kit are very explicit. Don't skip anything. Better yet, follow the steps for using the Ubuntu Live CD. Much more simple.

Thanks for your replies! I will definitely do the Ubuntu CD, if it makes things easier. I certainly want to stick with ROMs made for the Inspire, but I don't want a Sense ROM. CM would probably be the most stable, but I feel like she'll appreciate MIUI more. I want the more updated MIUI, which is currently the Desire one. Shoud I flash that one or the Inspire one that was updated last in January?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I want the more updated MIUI, which is currently the Desire one. Shoud I flash that one or the Inspire one that was updated last in January?

Youcan try it, but odds are that you'll end up with things not working right. There's just enough difference between the two phones, that's why there's so many ROMs for each of them. Check out xda. There are some other non-Sense ROMs that get a lot of support. You also may be able to find out if an update for MIUI is on the way.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Alright. I'll check out XDA. Is CM any good for this phone either? I'll probably just end up flashing something from over at XDA.

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I found that cyanogenmod was the least stable Rom for me. It kept boot looping and I reflashed at least tten times. Ive heard that the Inspire/desirehd cm weren't that stable due to kernal problems. It varies between poeple though. Actually you can flash a Rom from the DesireHD forums but you also need to flash the sound fix. Sound from a DesireHD Rom doesn't work when flashing on a inspire 4g.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Cm is amazing for my phone I just got the newsreel release candidate for it and it seems pritty damn solid but for a noob get the stable and make sure she under stands that if she deletes something essential to the phone its rooted it can cause big problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles