Being billed

Timeclock

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing with my new thrive and found if I do just about anything with the WEB or GPS I get charged. But I found that my account is being charged $0.01 every time I start the phone and I was charged $0.46 this morning at 7:45AM when I was still in bed asleep with the phone turned off. I got the phone 3 days ago and just playing with the web (logging onto my router) and trying to get the gps to work (no GOOGLE account or anything). And I have yet to make/receive the first call) I have been charged over $8.00 from my "GO-PHONE" account. I keep turning off the running apps and they keep turning back on. Question - is any body else experiencing this?

MrMelQuin

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
You need to configure your phone to disable mobile data.
This leaves Wi-Fi enabled.
The phone shown here is a never-rooted Thrive running Android 2.2.2 (Froyo).
This should work on 2.2.1 as well.
(The USB and DEBUG icons in the status bar are there to let me take screen shots using Droid Explorer.)

1. Click the menu button, and select "settings"-- the following screen should look like this:
    View attachment 14116
    Select "Wireless & networks"
  2. Scroll to the bottom and select "Mobile networks"
    View attachment 14117View attachment 14118
  3. Ensure the box next to "Data enabled" is not checked.
    View attachment 14119

I hope this helps. :)

I am disappointed in AT&T (as well as other providers) in their apparent decision to blur the lines between mobile data and WI-FI.
The Go-Phone website that lists the LG Thrive specifications does not even mention WI-FI, which seems to be difficult to omit in error.

Timeclock

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you MrMelQuin I have been playing with my phone this weekend and did what you said plus making sure everything I could find was unchecked. Then I just turned on what was needed for Wi-Fi and did some surfing and so far I haven't been billed. I went and talked to the local AT&T store Rep and he said the LG Thrive was setup (Sold) to be used with a $2 dollar a day or DATA plan and really not for the $0.25 a call “Pay as You GO” plan that I have always had.. But he said he did not understand why my phone was charging me when it was not being used. I bought the phone with the understanding that all I had to do is move my SIM over to the new phone and use it. He said I could call Technical Support and ask them. As of now I can live with it as long as it keeps it's fingers out of my till :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melseywag