Possible to downgrade from JB 4.1.2 back to 4.1.1?

joeym74

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
So I had updated my S3 to 4.1.2 with Tmobiles OTA and started to notice the decreased battery life as well. Since I switched from Tmobile recently and now on prepaid can I downgrade the OTA update I got from Tmobile and go back to 4.1.1? Has anyone done this or know what steps to take to do this? If anyone can provide a link or site that shows how we can do this that would be great.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I've never heard of being able to downgrade from an OTA. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the only way to get 4.1.1 back is by rooting and flashing a 4.1.1 ROM.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of being able to downgrade from an OTA. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the only way to get 4.1.1 back is by rooting and flashing a 4.1.1 ROM.

Exactly. The only way to downgrade is to root and install a ROM with the preferred version.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hewe Wongx3_DERP

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Same problem withy tmo S3.My cousins and I lag way too much. 4.1.1 was souch ( So much ) ← S3 won't let me type so much / souch better than 4.1.2.Ioss 4.1.1

Posted via Android Central App

joeym74

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

Exactly. The only way to downgrade is to root and install a ROM with the preferred version.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I believe we can go back without being rooted. Here is the info:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...se-push-bmb1-previous-update.html#post5890009

and here is the actual steps to take to go back to stock:

DroidViews | How to Install Android 4.1.1/4.1.2 Jelly Bean Stock Firmware on Galaxy S3

Just need to get the stock firmware 4.1.1 for you phone and the rest of the steps should be the same.

blast7

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
This link is not working...:(

You can find the cached version if you search on the following in Google:

"how-to-install-android-4-1-1-jelly-bean-stock-firmware-on-galaxy-s3"

You will see a drop down arrow to the far right of the URL underneath the title of the link. Click that drop down and select "cached" that will bring up the internet cached version of the site. I was able to access this page on 8-13-2013 around 8pm and successfully reverted my S3 back to 4.1.1 and retrieved the MSL code (all without rooting the phone). I have since allowed the OTA 4.1.2 download, rooted and installed clockworkmod recovery. I came back here because I want to activate my Sprint S3 on Verizon Prepaid and to do that I need to go back to 4.1.1.

If the method above doesn't work for you please post here and I'll try to upload the instructions here or as a web page on another server.

stac9

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You can find the cached version if you search on the following in Google:

"how-to-install-android-4-1-1-jelly-bean-stock-firmware-on-galaxy-s3"

You will see a drop down arrow to the far right of the URL underneath the title of the link. Click that drop down and select "cached" that will bring up the internet cached version of the site. I was able to access this page on 8-13-2013 around 8pm and successfully reverted my S3 back to 4.1.1 and retrieved the MSL code (all without rooting the phone). I have since allowed the OTA 4.1.2 download, rooted and installed clockworkmod recovery. I came back here because I want to activate my Sprint S3 on Verizon Prepaid and to do that I need to go back to 4.1.1.

If the method above doesn't work for you please post here and I'll try to upload the instructions here or as a web page on another server.

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I did not realize that Google started showing the Cached pages with those arrows. Thank you.

Another Q: Could you let me know if you are able to use both data and voice features on a non-ATT network? say T-mobile?

Thanks in advance.

blast7

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I did not realize that Google started showing the Cached pages with those arrows. Thank you.

Another Q: Could you let me know if you are able to use both data and voice features on a non-ATT network? say T-mobile?

Thanks in advance.

Well since I have a CDMA phone the only carriers that use that technology are Sprint, Verizon and any of their resellers (such as Virgin, Boost, Page Plus, Etc...). Both AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM technology and I haven't really been researching what you can do with those phones specifically.

However, I found a few tutorials on xdadevelopers and a couple of youtube videos that show how to get a Sprint or Verizon phone to work with one of the pre-paid carriers (Virgin, Boost, etc...)... that would include voice, 3G data, and MMS. I'm still doing research because I would really like to get 4G LTE data working as well as all of the other phones features. So far my understanding is that Sprint 4G LTE phones won't get 4G LTE speeds on Verizon and Sprint hasn't rolled out 4G LTE in the areas that I live/work (which is why I'm going to Verizon in the first place... that and the coverage is much better on Verizon in my area).

Oh and I mentioned the two cell technologies, CDMA and GSM, because they are not compatible. A CDMA phone will never work on a GSM carrier and vise-versa, however I have heard that there may be phones that have hardware support for both technologies built in (iPhone) but I haven't confirmed that.

stac9

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well since I have a CDMA phone the only carriers that use that technology are Sprint, Verizon and any of their resellers (such as Virgin, Boost, Page Plus, Etc...). Both AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM technology and I haven't really been researching what you can do with those phones specifically.

However, I found a few tutorials on xdadevelopers and a couple of youtube videos that show how to get a Sprint or Verizon phone to work with one of the pre-paid carriers (Virgin, Boost, etc...)... that would include voice, 3G data, and MMS. I'm still doing research because I would really like to get 4G LTE data working as well as all of the other phones features. So far my understanding is that Sprint 4G LTE phones won't get 4G LTE speeds on Verizon and Sprint hasn't rolled out 4G LTE in the areas that I live/work (which is why I'm going to Verizon in the first place... that and the coverage is much better on Verizon in my area).

Oh and I mentioned the two cell technologies, CDMA and GSM, because they are not compatible. A CDMA phone will never work on a GSM carrier and vise-versa, however I have heard that there may be phones that have hardware support for both technologies built in (iPhone) but I haven't confirmed that.

Thanks for your response. Actually I do not have that phone anymore...so, not my problem anymore.
Thanks anyway.