n00b questions...

halfpassed

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
So...I now have the Sensation on Cincinnati Bell and love it, and have a bunch of questions about rooting/bloatware/etc.
- First of all, I basically understand the allure and advantages of rooting, but some places I've seen articles/how-to's on One Click rooting - what are the advantages/disadvantages of this and what are the risks versus regular rooting?
- Secondly, if rooting is not the path for me, are "bloatware removal files/apps" safe to use if I just want to remove the HTC Sense(which I don't like) - like this Non-Sense Bloatware Removal.
- What are the real risks of bricking my phone if I do decide to root?
- Lastly, If I do decide to root, I've read the xda guide to rooting a Sensation. I don't understand if all these things - S-off, Unlocking, ClockWork, HBoot, SuperCID, etc - are dependent on doing them in a certain order, or if I can pick and choose the things I want to do.

So, I know those are lengthy questions and take a lot to answer, but this whole rooting idea is quite overwhelming. Thanks in advance.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You need root access to uninstall bloatware, so if you really want to get rid of it you'll have to root.

These two links should answer many of your questions: all about rooting, and what Android terms mean. Look those over, and if you still need clarification feel free to ask :)

Edit: I just realized some of the more advanced terms aren't in the Android dictionary. I'll give you a quick rundown:
S-off is the same thing as Unlocking - this is the very first thing you have to do before doing the fun stuff like rooting
HBoot - sometimes the version # of this needs to be changed in order to get S-Off/unlocked; this will be done for you automatically when you root; if you need to worry about this, you'll be given instructions at the time of rooting
ClockWork - a custom recovery you install after you get root access that allows you to "flash" or install things that change the way your phone looks or performs
SuperCID - this is what locks your phone into only being able to install software made for the USA Sensation; change this, and you can install software (ROMs) made for the international version of the Sensation; this is optionally done after rooting

To really understand this better, I suggest going on YouTube and looking for a video on how to root the Sensation. The visuals will help make sense of all this nonsense :p Good luck!

Reactions: halfpassed

clodfelterac

Samurai Dev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That way is not very noob friendly as I found out... I used gingerbreak... very simple... and this is my first android phone... only had it one month... and believe me when I say I searched many different methods... super1click seems noob friendly... once you have root I suggest downloading flashgui.apk to flash custom recovery of your choice... and the doors are open from there to instal your custom rom/kernals/etc... hope this helps...

halfpassed

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I'm pretty familiar with the terms, in a basic sense - at least on the surface. I guess what I'm really asking is, aside from the obvious advantages, what are the real risks of rooting, and are all those things described in the xda Sensation rooting forum necessary to root my phone? And is using a program like Revolutionary safe? Thanks again.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I'm pretty familiar with the terms, in a basic sense - at least on the surface. I guess what I'm really asking is, aside from the obvious advantages, what are the real risks of rooting, and are all those things described in the xda Sensation rooting forum necessary to root my phone? And is using a program like Revolutionary safe? Thanks again.

I followed that exact guide when I rooted my Sensation (which I don't have anymore unfortunately). It's well written and as safe as rooting processes get. I'd go ahead and do everything except SuperCID - if you want to install international ROMs later, you can always do SuperCID then. And don't be alarmed if you have to run the .exe files many times, it took 10 or 15 tries before mine worked.

Sent from my Nexus S

halfpassed

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips ragnarokx - I think I might try it now next time I have a couple of hours free. Is that guide for a temp-root or "permanent" one?
One last question about ROMs - where do I find some good ones, and how do I know if they'll do what I want? I'm not so interested in a ROM to look like a certain version of Android, or any certain theme - I'm pretty happy with the changes I've made visually/functionally. I would like to increase battery, get rid of extra crap, etc. - mostly "under-the-hood" types of changes. Thanks again.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips ragnarokx - I think I might try it now next time I have a couple of hours free. Is that guide for a temp-root or "permanent" one?
One last question about ROMs - where do I find some good ones, and how do I know if they'll do what I want? I'm not so interested in a ROM to look like a certain version of Android, or any certain theme - I'm pretty happy with the changes I've made visually/functionally. I would like to increase battery, get rid of extra crap, etc. - mostly "under-the-hood" types of changes. Thanks again.

No problem. The guide you linked to is for permanent root - you will keep root as long as you do not accept any official Google updates that pop up on your phone.

As for ROMs, you can go to the development forum of XDA (should be the same forum where that guide you linked to is located). Look at the first post of each ROM thread for the features it offers. I didn't realize you were jumping into ROMs so quickly. If you are, it might be a good idea to do that SuperCID as soon as you root, which will about double the amount of ROMs you can install (without SuperCID, only US based ROM will work for you).

If romanbb is still maintaining his ROM, I suggest you take a look at that one. It was my favorite when I had my Sensation.

Sent from my Nexus S

halfpassed

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I may not do a ROM - just wanting to get all the facts and tricks and tips I can get before making the leap. I love the way my phone works and acts now, I may just want to tool around with some su apps first, then maybe some ROMs - I'm not sure. That why I'm asking a billion questions now - before I do it.
If I do decide to go with a ROM - will it interfere with my ADW Launcher or widgetlocker or wave launcher, or will it just have mostly cosmetic changes? Will the aspects of the ROM be able to be overridden?

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I said the same thing, and got bored after a couple days and was flashing ROMs haha. Have fun, and let us know if you have anymore questions.

Sent from my Nexus S

halfpassed

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Done. Followed the guide and worked perfectly after I figured out you had I had an older version of SU - flashed the most current version in Recovery and worked perfectly. Thanks TONS for answering my questions and giving me the confidence to try this out. I haven't done a ROM - yet. Just looking for a good one to speed things up. It already runs smoother and faster just by removing some of the unnecessary crapplications. Thanks again.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Done. Followed the guide and worked perfectly after I figured out you had I had an older version of SU - flashed the most current version in Recovery and worked perfectly. Thanks TONS for answering my questions and giving me the confidence to try this out. I haven't done a ROM - yet. Just looking for a good one to speed things up. It already runs smoother and faster just by removing some of the unnecessary crapplications. Thanks again.

Anytime, glad to help another Android user liberate their phone :D

Sent from my Nexus S

halfpassed

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
So...yeah - I flashed the Revolution HD ROM last night - and it's pretty sweet. Very fast and responsive - Overclocked CPU, lots of "under the hood" improvements. Also used ROMCleaner to remove the Sense junk. Runs beautifully. I might want to even fiddle with some ICS ROMS, but those need firmware updates - not so sure about that. Anyway, thanks again.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member