T-Mobile LG G2: Battery Drain w/ KitKat

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Those who have successfully loaded kit kat, have you guys noticed a battery drain?

My battery used to last me 13-18 hours easy.. depending on usage, some times even 23ish hours.

but now with Kit Kat I'm lucky if I get 8 hours.. has anyone noticed this change?

Last edited by a moderator:

bc4393

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery Drain w/ Kit Kat

Mine got horrendous after the update until I ran the app update program (I think its LG's) then rebooted when everything was up to date.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Battery Drain w/ Kit Kat

All my apps in the LG app update thing are up to date.. I don't want to factory reset this phone. I'm kind of bummed.

shugga82

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile LG G2: Battery Drain w/ Kit Kat

I'm now starting to see the drain the phone was better on jellybean

Posted from my T-Mobile LG G2 via Android Central App

HIMAN1998

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, odd. I have better battery life under Kit Kat. I normally could only do like 15 hours of very heavy usage, but I'm at 48% with that same usage, after 13 hours. If it might make a difference, I also installed Nova Launcher because I love the look and feel, and with 4.4 the softkeys have the transparent background like the stock launcher.

shugga82

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

Idk but I don't have anything installed like Facebook that would pull data. even the weather widget updates but doesn't show correct location. I keep getting an error message when trying to update manully.I might just do a factory reset

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't know.. you must be lucky.. I tried the new and improved auto brightness.. and i tried the screen on dim.. It just doesn't last as long for me anymore.. I'm kind of bummed.. The phone is a lot more smooth, but at the expense of my battery only living half as much.

raysgrumpy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

My wife absolutely hates the update. It is killing her battery. We used to joke about how the battery in her G2 crushed my Nexus 5. With the change in the location settings, she can't get a GPS lock inside, at all, anymore. We both play Ingress and she can't use it in the house anymore, always has to go outside to get a lock. She's tried playing with all the settings. I guess we're going to try a factory reset. She's pissed! haha

shugga82

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

My wife absolutely hates the update. It is killing her battery. We used to joke about how the battery in her G2 crushed my Nexus 5. With the change in the location settings, she can't get a GPS lock inside, at all, anymore. We both play Ingress and she can't use it in the house anymore, always has to go outside to get a lock. She's tried playing with all the settings. I guess we're going to try a factory reset. She's pissed! haha

You're right the GPS changed the weather widget gives an error msg...wish I hadn't updated. The battery drain is bad

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm doing a factory reset to see if it will fix anything.. Also, it makes the phone seem newer :)

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

You guys now that KitKat institues new location settings right? If you're using GPS at all, you're using the highest level locatioin setting, which drains the battery the most. You should definitely only use that setting at times which you really need GPS access. Set your location setting to "battery saving mode," which only uses the wifi and mobile data signals to determine your location.

shugga82

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site

You guys now that KitKat institues new location settings right? If you're using GPS at all, you're using the highest level locatioin setting, which drains the battery the most. You should definitely only use that setting at times which you really need GPS access. Set your location setting to "battery saving mode," which only uses the wifi and mobile data signals to determine your location.

I discovered that this morning after I did a factory reset the highest level should be used for navigation anything else set to battery saving. I'll see how the battery is now

Posted via Android Central App

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site

Weird. My battery life has been incredible. Been jumping back and forth between my G2 and my Note 3. Both on 4.4.2. G2 kills the Note 3. Only thing that keeps me switching back to the Note 3 is the screen size...and the multi-window feature.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Mine automatically was set to battery saving.. I actually turned GPS off completely yesterday and it seems to last pretty well now. Battery saving mode didn't save battery much for me.. I also turned off the universal "ok google" setting for google now, where you can say that on any screen and Google Search will start up.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I got tired of the battery drain post KitKat. I'm factory resetting now :(. Hopefully that'll help.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

Weird. My battery life has been incredible. Been jumping back and forth between my G2 and my Note 3. Both on 4.4.2. G2 kills the Note 3. Only thing that keeps me switching back to the Note 3 is the screen size...and the multi-window feature.

I hope the multi-window feature from the G Flex gets ported to the G2.

mount.zed

May 31, 2013
Visit site

my battery life is better, and I also seen better GPS performance. Mind you I am using a unlocked D802

Matthew Hay

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed my battery life is a lot shorter and my phone gets hot quickly as well. Never did this before kitkat

Posted via the Android Central App