Going to be returning Nexus S

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I kinda like the idea of the 3.5MM headphone jack on the bottom of the phone... when you pull it out of your pocket, the phones already facing the right way.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I like the looks of the Nexus S and I think that it is an improvement over the original. I think the disappointment comes with the misperception that the next itineration of the Nexus line was going to be vastly different. You can't expect an upgrade after a year to be significant. I have repeated this many times.

sahil

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Was first in line today all pumped to get a Nexus S. I was first in line for the G1 when it was first released. My Nexus One's screen broke about two weeks ago, I figured I might as well upgrade. But after getting the phone, the $580 price tag (inc tax) seems a little steep when I have a N1 w/ a broken screen (~150 to fix). I guess I was hooked when the rumors said it was dual core. I figured what the heck.. After playing with it for a little bit, I have a few comments. And why I am going to return it.

Pro)
1) Display is nice
2) Curve screen is kind of cool
3) Dual cameras
4) NFC
5) 16gig memory

Con)
1) Usb & 3.5mm both on bottom of phone.. is it that hard for 3.5mm top, and usb bottom?
2) Camera only 5megapixel
3) No one is really doing anything yet w/ NFC.
4) No SD Card
5) phone gets pretty warm
6) Feels kind of brittle. (not as sturdy as N1)
7) no track ball.

The only real difference between the phones really breaks down to the fact that it has 2 cameras
The only difference really ends up being that the NS has NFC & 2 Cameras. If I can fix my N1 for $150, is the $400 difference worth NFC and the extra camera? For me the answer is no.. I am going to fix my cracked screen, and keep my N1. Going to hold out for a native android phone that is dual core. I figure I will be able to sell my N1 then and cover the repair cost.

Seems to me that half of the cons were clear that the phone didnt have those features and you knew that and you still went out to buy the phone?

It sounds like that you are regretting the fact you spent $580 and were expecting to be blown away from the phone. And about the phone getting warm, my Nexus 1 got pretty warm also not a big deal.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Return it to Arizona by mistake, lol. I tried unsuccessfully to buy one 3 times today. Every time I entered the store and asked I got "Sorry, that guy/girl there just bought the last one" or "I got two here but, there is something wrong with them both" <--this one I doubt, dude was shady..and didn't even try to offer me anything else. I'm guessing him and the other guy working wanted em. They both looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights, lol.

I know of one Best Buy in the city that has 22 of em but, it's a far drive and I lack a car. Not worth the $50 cab ride. :/

Last edited:

Yell0w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
"Sorry, that guy/girl there just bought the last one" or "I got two here but, there is something wrong with them both" <--this one I doubt, dude was shady..and didn't even try to offer me anything else. I'm guessing him and the other guy working wanted em. They both looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights, lol.

i hate it when all those store reps are keeping the good deals for themselves. :mad:

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The general consensus of this phone at this board and others seem tremendously underwhelming. And a variety of issues make Nexus S seem unworthy of a $580 dollar price tag. I was on the fence, but now becoming more and more deterred from taking the plunge.

chrispix

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My issue was related to the fact that I needed to change phones because my nexus one broke, and my backup (G1) is agonizingly slow. I thought the new Nexus was the answer to my problem. I tried to overlook the shortfalls, but there were not enough new features and improvements over the nexus one to make me keep the phone.

The phone is really good. If I was going from G1 to Nexus S, I would have kept it.. But Going from Nexus 1 to Nexus S for an additional $580, there was not enough difference between the two for it to be cost effective for myself..

As far as the comment of putting your phone in your pocket. I really don't like carrying mine in my pocket, I like using holsters from Sedio. I was just giving my opinion on why "I" was returning it. Not trying to persuade anyone to buy/not buy, but wanted to give a point of view. Let you make the decision.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Phoenix and am returning mine only because I'm not getting T-Mobile service at my house.

Return it to Arizona by mistake, lol. I tried unsuccessfully to buy one 3 times today. Every time I entered the store and asked I got "Sorry, that guy/girl there just bought the last one" or "I got two here but, there is something wrong with them both" <--this one I doubt, dude was shady..and didn't even try to offer me anything else. I'm guessing him and the other guy working wanted em. They both looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights, lol.

I know of one Best Buy in the city that has 22 of em but, it's a far drive and I lack a car. Not worth the $50 cab ride. :/

bcohen44

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
like so far over Nexus S

Someone previously in this thread mentioned the size/screen, and I agree. My only Android device has been an N1, so the S-AMOLED screen, and larger screen for me are making a huge difference. I you had been using a new Android phone with larger screen (Droid X, Galaxy S, Evo, etc), probably nothing new. Spec-wize the N1 I believe is 3.7" and Nexus S is 4.0, but it "seems" bigger. I think fonts and graphics in general look better so far, comparing the same app or screen side-by-side with Nexus One.

Also it's faster for sure, lots of variables there (2.3, different Snapdragon vs. Hummingbird). I also like the haptic feedback and feel of the buttons as well, and the touchscreen seems noticeably better on the S vs. the One.

And have WAY more room for apps storage (w/o going on the "virtual" SD card) is nice. I re-installed all my apps from the N1, and have 384MB free vs. 26MB on the N1, which is nice.... :cool:

A better comparison will come with Gingerbread is on the N1 of course....

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
So I just got back from my local Best Buy... they had a demo for me to play with, and had started with 5 Nexus S' y'day, of which they sold 2.

Anyway, I played with it for about 20 minutes. I'm not going to rehash the experience, since most reviews sum it up pretty nicely. I will say that while the screen is really nice and the phone is really responsive, I have to agree with the OP. At least for me, the S doesn't justify the $529+ to upgrade from the N1, especially when mine is pretty responsive thanks to Launcher Plus Pro (which I'd install on the N-S if I were to get it as well). If I were still using my G1, then I wouldn't think twice about getting it. That being said.. I think I'll spend my money on an Android tablet instead. A nice 7" tablet and my N1 will be more useful to me than just the N-S.

Also, just to add... I'm no longer miffed about the lack of HSPA+ after watching phonedog's dogfight with the MT4G. Both of the phones got the same speeds on T-mobile's HSPA+ network.

mukarram1

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Argh.
I got the S too, but I can't decide if its worth keeping. It is, beyond a doubt, a fantastic phone, and I definitely notice quite a bit of performance improvements over the N1.
For me, the biggest 'pros' for the S over the 1 are:
1. More space (for apps), not having an SD card isn't too big of a deal for me
2. Bigger/better screen, although I put the same video file on both phones and they both played it pretty much equally, granted, it wasn't an HD video, but still, I didn't see any difference. I can't really say where I do see a difference, but I definitely notice it in normal usage.
3. MUCH better multitouch, but still a tiny bit glitchy
4. Significantly faster overall, but I'm not sure if the S will still be faster after the One gets 2.3

But there are also some things that I will sorely miss from my nexus One like:
1. The overall build and look, although the screen is a bit smaller, I love the size of the phone, its perfect.
2. The trackball, but I could probably get used to not having one, its just that, every once in a while, I will be typing and reach down to scroll a few characters back, and then realize there is no trackball
3. I don't like the way the S vibrates, it feels cheap, like the vibration is localized to one part of the phone, whereas the entire phone vibrates with the One, I know that's just a personal preference, but I just wanted to put that out there.

So considering those are the only improvements I really notice, I am not sure its really worth $579 (after taxes in Cook "Crook" county). If I got it for $200, it would be a no-brainer, I wouldn't hesitate to keep it, but at this price, I guess its just going to take some more deliberation

Note: does anyone know why I didn't notice a difference in the videos when comparing them side by side? The colors seemed to pop a bit more on the S, but there was sort of a yellowish tint (which I only noticed in a side-by-side comparison). It does seem though, in day-to-day usage and just doing normal stuff, the screen is more attractive, I just can't see why.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Away With The Sammysung !

I just got s
What sucks is
No tracking ball
Screen auto rotating too sensitive

I got a Nexus S last saturday.
I returned it yesterday morning and they reversed the two year contract.
Its really not a bad phone but its not an "earth shakingly
better than the Nexus One" phone in my humble opinion.

Its certainly not worthy of a two year contract and still pay $200.

Yes the touch screen is more responsive than the Nexus One and its faster
but what I found excruciating and could not excuse was not the lack
of HSPA+ but the lack of a way to move the curser.

No track pad or track ball was just a stupid thing not to include on a smart phone.
Going back to the G2 (Nexus One as a backup).

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I got a Nexus S last saturday.
I returned it yesterday morning and they reversed the two year contract.
Its really not a bad phone but its not an "earth shakingly
better than the Nexus One" phone in my humble opinion.

Its certainly not worthy of a two year contract and still pay $200.

Yes the touch screen is more responsive than the Nexus One and its faster
but what I found excruciating and could not excuse was not the lack
of HSPA+ but the lack of a way to move the curser.

No track pad or track ball was just a stupid thing not to include on a smart phone.
Going back to the G2 (Nexus One as a backup).

I don't have a trackball or trackpad on my Droid X and I am able to navigate the phone just fine. I was glad to see that the trackball was retired.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a trackball or trackpad on my Droid X and I am able to navigate the phone just fine. I was glad to see that the trackball was retired.

I think the next Google phone is less than 6 months away.
We'll see if it has a track pad or not.
If not I wont be getting it either.
The MyTouch 4g is the best T-Mobile phone right now hands down
but the bloatware crap TMO put on top of the stock Android is
just as unacceptable as the lack of a track pad is on the NS.

:(

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The next Google phone is not 6 months away, you might think that, but maybe the next Google device is a tablet? Launching with Honeycomb?

Sent from my Nexus S