Thoughts on Tmobile switch

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile (as long as they will give me a Cel Fi for my house). We have 2 iPhone 5's and each had a $200 ETF. AT&T has said that they'd let me upgrade each line (at $25 more per line). Any reason why I shouldn't upgrade both lines before switching? This will put the ETF's at $350 but we could still trade in the iPhone 5's and keep whatever we got on upgrade and Tmobile would still pay the ETF... Or am I missing something?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm wondering why AT&T would give you the upgrade with $200 left on your ETF. Are you sure there's no other catch?

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I was surprised as well, been with them a while and they will typically give me early upgrades. I don't think it's usually this early though, but they still can't compete with Tmobile prices.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why do you want a celfi right away? Do you know your signal is bad for T-Mobile at your house? They will only do it if you meet certain criteria... Not just because you may want / think you need one.

Just wanted to say that as an FYI so you don't switch and then not be eligible for one.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
My house shows up on the coverage map as only 2G. I've ordered a sim so I can try it for a month before switching. Maybe I'll be lucky and won't need one but I doubt it.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
They would still pay it. But how much will they give you for your iPhone trade in is the question? You could probably keep your $25

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They would still pay it. But how much will they give you for your iPhone trade in is the question? You could probably keep your $25

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

He has to turn a phone in for them to pay his ETF.

He could buy some cheap BB phone or something to turn in and that could work.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My house shows up on the coverage map as only 2G. I've ordered a sim so I can try it for a month before switching. Maybe I'll be lucky and won't need one but I doubt it.

Cel-fi I believe doesn't work with edge 2g

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
When I talked to them they said that you can pretty much trade any phone into t mobile. I read the same thing on here from other people. I would sell the IPhones somewhere else then.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
So you need 3G for a Cel Fi to work? Doesn't make much sense to me..

And this may be more trouble than it's worth. I'd have to buy upgrades from AT&T for around &400. Then find cheap phones to trade in ($100?) and I still need to buy phones from Tmo to get the ETF covered then switch service back to the AT&T phones ( I'd have to find a phone that would work ). And either keep the Tmo phones for backup or sell them. They give about $175 for trade on an iPhone 5, not completely awful, I may have to just trade those in... Thanks for the replies.

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and I have read that they have different limits for ETF's now based on the type of phone traded in. A flip phone doesn't cover the full $350 of a smartphone anymore. This is just from reading forums idk if it's been verified.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile (as long as they will give me a Cel Fi for my house). We have 2 iPhone 5's and each had a $200 ETF. AT&T has said that they'd let me upgrade each line (at $25 more per line). Any reason why I shouldn't upgrade both lines before switching? This will put the ETF's at $350 but we could still trade in the iPhone 5's and keep whatever we got on upgrade and Tmobile would still pay the ETF... Or am I missing something?

When you say upgrade, is it at subsidized pricing or on the next program? Is the $25 a one time fee or a monthly fee?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Moto G

nrvna76

May 13, 2011
Visit site
We're on the mobile share.. So they let us switch to the off contract rate ($130). So the offer is for a full subsidized upgrade which would cost an extra $25/mo per device. So I would never do it unless I was switching to Tmo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87