HEADS UP: No WiFi calling with BYOD even if your plan includes it...

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I still think it's crap that they can't make WiFi calling work in app form. If they cared to try, I'm sure they could figure it out. They just don't want to go out of their way to deliver a perk to non-carrier devices when it can be an incentive to get people to buy their phone from T-Mobile.

Well over at XDA there's been a bounty for some time. It's not a trivial exercise.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is WiFi calling in app form.. Hangouts. But the trick is getting it integrated with the main phone system. Having the phone switch from the phone radio to the network stack and back. That requires system, kernel and radio firmware to have it all work in tandem.

It takes OEMs months to implement the feature, then there is carrier qualification and I'm sure some sort of regulatory crap that have to deal with. If they could just make an app that got the job done, they would.

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, T-Mobile has a say as to what goes in their models. But they are a carrier, not a phone manufacturer. Samsung, LG, etc, do all the development, but the carrier is involved in the overall process.

Other than the Nexus 6, if you want T-Mobile WiFi Calling, you need to buy the T-Mobile model.

I have TMO and I've been thinking of buying a Nexus 6 via the Google play store. If I'm understanding you correctly, the Nexus 6 from the play store will have Wifi Calling that is fully functional for TMO, straight out of the box, with no need to download or install anything?

I've been trying to decide between the Oneplus One and Nexus 6, and WiFi Calling is an important factor for me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure what software version you'll get from the Play Store version... You might have to load the T-Mobile firmware once you get it. All the US versions are the same phone, but the software loaded might not be quite the correct version.

Loading a new factory image on a new phone is trivial. Just download the kit from Google and follow the simple instructions... Or just download Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit on your computer, which is even easier.

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure what software version you'll get from the Play Store version... You might have to load the T-Mobile firmware once you get it. All the US versions are the same phone, but the software loaded might not be quite the correct version.

Loading a new factory image on a new phone is trivial. Just download the kit from Google and follow the simple instructions... Or just download Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit on your computer, which is even easier.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll check it out. Thanks!

Do... Nexus 6 is Nexus 6. One of the many advantages. It supports every band, every protocol. VoLTE on each carrier that supports it. Leave Verizon for AT&T, you are fine. Change your mind again and go with StraightTalk, or T-Mobile... All set. Sure, to get every little bit, you might have to load a different image, but Google gives their blessing to unlock and change your phone's software.

100 Gluten

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone. I signed up on the forum just to get on this thread. Did WFC on the Nexus 6 work? I've heard that TMO locks the WFC feature to IMEIs of phones that were actually sold by them, so a generic Nexus 6 might not work.

TMO recently stopped selling the Nexus 6. Not sure why.

Is TMO WFC support now in the generic ASOP? If I had a TMO-purchased phone with working WFC and then installed Cyanogenmod, would I lose WFC, or would it still work?

Thank you.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Nexus 6 on Marshmallow, WiFi calling is working fine. I assume it's generic now, especially with AT&T and Verizon rolling out WiFi calling as well.

100 Gluten

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I've got a Nexus 6 on Marshmallow, WiFi calling is working fine. I assume it's generic now, especially with AT&T and Verizon rolling out WiFi calling as well.
Thank you! So your Nexus 6 was purchased from someplace other than T-Mobile? I'm considering a switch to T-Mobile to get their international features, but my only assumption is that a phone purchased from another vendor won't work for WFC.

It can't be THAT generic, especially when you consider that WFC isn't supported even for Nexus 5s that were originally sold by T-Mobile. For whatever reason, all of them are blocked from using this feature even though there is no technological reason that would prevent it from working?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! So your Nexus 6 was purchased from someplace other than T-Mobile? I'm considering a switch to T-Mobile to get their international features, but my only assumption is that a phone purchased from another vendor won't work for WFC.

It can't be THAT generic, especially when you consider that WFC isn't supported even for Nexus 5s that were originally sold by T-Mobile. For whatever reason, all of them are blocked from using this feature even though there is no technological reason that would prevent it from working?
A Nexus 5 with Marshmallow will probably work to some degree though the handoffs might be iffy. There's a bit of a hardware requirement with WFC. I got my Nexus 6 from an eBay seller and flashed it myself.

100 Gluten

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
A Nexus 5 with Marshmallow will probably work to some degree though the handoffs might be iffy. There's a bit of a hardware requirement with WFC. I got my Nexus 6 from an eBay seller and flashed it myself.
Flashed it with what? I'm curious.
I would go buy a Nexus 5 to BYOD to TMO if I could be certain that WFC worked. I've been scouring the internet and haven't yet seen a report of it working. T-Mobile's own support pages for the Nexus 5 says that it is unsupported and the stuff I've read on other forums seems to back this up. If anybody knows of any accounts of a BYOD phone from another carrier (other than a Nexus 6) working for WiFi Calling, I'd sure like to read about it. Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So an iPhone from another carrier will now work for Wi-Fi calling?

Yes. It has from the start since Apple controls all software on iPhones. The software will see it's a T-Mobile SIM and will allow wifi calling to be utilized.

Mecene Baronvil

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
i have metro pcs, but i'm using an iPhone 6s plus from sprint but unlock, the wi-fi calling work perfect, but now i have a samsung galaxy s7 i don't know to make that thing work.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm using an AT&T unlocked PRIV with a TMO SIM card, and WIFI calling works well.

DeviceIDs (veniceatt/venicetmo) notwithstanding, for quite a while BB has been one of the few OEMs (not named Apple) who's afforded the "privilege" of WFC working across non-branded devices.

You might recall that before TMO had all BB10 phones whitelisted for WFC (on specific OS builds,) the way it worked was that in addition to the specific OS builds, you had to have a BB10 phone--model and sub-model--that TMO carried. Seemingly, this is the same requirement they have for Android BB phones. Since AT&T and TMO Privs are both STV100-1, you just need a branded or unlocked -1 and a TMO SIM for WFC to work*

*I haven't seen anyone with an STV100-3 (the global Priv, which includes all TMO bands) report the presence of WFC. I guess there just aren't too many people using a -3 on TMO.