thinking about switching to tmobile

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching from att to tmobile. Will I be at a big disadvantage without having a b12 device? I'm mainly on the east coast and parts of the south

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It depends on where you are. If TMobile doesn't have coverage where you need coverage then, yes, it will be a BIG disadvantage. (So will TMobile's trick of connecting to a media server [like YouTube] at full speed, then shifting to a lower speed. You get lag and stutter. All the video you want - but not too useful.)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It depends on where you are. If TMobile doesn't have coverage where you need coverage then, yes, it will be a BIG disadvantage. (So will TMobile's trick of connecting to a media server [like YouTube] at full speed, then shifting to a lower speed. You get lag and stutter. All the video you want - but not too useful.)

Depends on the plan for this. If he adds the HD "pass" it won't but .. if he doesn't then yes it will dumb it down to 480 P.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Coverage is king. I have used both T-Mobile and AT&T on the East Coast and AT&T has better coverage outside of major cities and interstate highways. I'm actually on Project fi now, which means I am often on T-Mo, but there are places I get 0 coverage where I used to be able to at least make calls with AT&T. Having said that, I found I can live with some coverage limitations, but I am of a generation that doesn't break out in a cold sweat if I don't have reception.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just like with any carrier, it will depend on your area. Verizon and AT&T can only get me edge speeds at my house.

I tried to do a Facebook like video one night at about 8PM on T-Mobile and it told me it couldn't go through due to weak network connection. I still had a good data connection but I guess it wasn't enough to transfer the video.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Riding my motorcycle up in the Adirondacks my battery went dead and I was pushing it down the road. A passing motorist told me that I wouldn't be able to call for help unless I had Verizon. I checked and there was no T-Mo or Sprint signal at all. I believe though I have had AT&T there in the past. In any case, don't believe the T-Mo hype unless you stay in major cities or along major highways--there are big holes! The further from major population centers you get the less likely you are to find T-Mo, in general.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Riding my motorcycle up in the Adirondacks my battery went dead and I was pushing it down the road. A passing motorist told me that I wouldn't be able to call for help unless I had Verizon. I checked and there was no T-Mo or Sprint signal at all. I believe though I have had AT&T there in the past. In any case, don't believe the T-Mo hype unless you stay in major cities or along major highways--there are big holes! The further from major population centers you get the less likely you are to find T-Mo, in general.

You would be able to call 911 still. It would latch onto any available signal the phone could connect to and work.

Also never believe the hype with any carrier really. Most should do research of 3rd parties (such as Root Metrics and such) before jumping to a network. One network may work great for someone whereas another would be awful. Just depends on needs and where you play/live/travel.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
One network may work great for someone whereas another would be awful. Just depends on needs and where you play/live/travel.
So true, and I have found that RootMetrics and such don't work well out in the sticks either--not enough reports. It is mountainous around here and a slight bend in the road can just end your cell phone signal, even when on major highways. If you happen to live in the wrong valley you might have no service while down the road a bit you have great coverage because you are in the line of site to a cell tower. You can find the same thing in cities due to structures blocking your signal. The gold standard is to check it out for yourself using a prepaid phone in the locations you need service.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If you live in NYC or NJ yes if you live or want to go to PA stay in Philadelphia or it sucks outside in towns.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch