Thinking about T-Mo: Why Do You Use Them

EvanJ18

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey so I have recently been thinking about jumping from VZW to T-Mo. I have never had a problem with VZW. What has me thinking about the switch is VZW getting rid of the 1 year contract. Them falling behind tech-wise. And the prices of, as far as I'm concerned, mid level phones (See: Droid Charge) being astronomical in price ($300 on 2yr).

I live in Milford, CT (HSPA+) and work in Fairfield, CT ("Good" T-Mo coverage according to coverage map). And as far as I'm concerned, I will have great coverage from any carrier in these areas so that doesn't really matter to me.

Also what I LOVE about T-Mobile is their commitment to Stock Android Devices (G2X, G2, Nexus 1 & S). Even though I will more than likely go with the Sensation if I go with T-Mo :p . And the fact that most big time International (GSM) phones will most likely release, in some form or another, on T-Mobile. VZW is more committed to bloatware, in my opinion (Inc2 has 58 pre-installed apps).

I just want to know from real world android users why YOU guys prefer T-Mobile over the other big-time national carriers.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Cost, customer service and variety of devices. For my area it gets the best coverage out of all the providers by far. I can't imagine switching but obviously each person has a carrier at best fits their needs...I just can't imagine paying out the nose like so many people do for the same, or less in some cases, service that's available at T-Mobile.

Plus I just love all the high end Android phones they offer :)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey so I have recently been thinking about jumping from VZW to T-Mo. I have never had a problem with VZW. What has me thinking about the switch is VZW getting rid of the 1 year contract. Them falling behind tech-wise. And the prices of, as far as I'm concerned, mid level phones (See: Droid Charge) being astronomical in price ($300 on 2yr).

I live in Milford, CT (HSPA+) and work in Fairfield, CT ("Good" T-Mo coverage according to coverage map). And as far as I'm concerned, I will have great coverage from any carrier in these areas so that doesn't really matter to me.

Also what I LOVE about T-Mobile is their commitment to Stock Android Devices (G2X, G2, Nexus 1 & S). Even though I will more than likely go with the Sensation if I go with T-Mo :p . And the fact that most big time International (GSM) phones will most likely release, in some form or another, on T-Mobile. VZW is more committed to bloatware, in my opinion (Inc2 has 58 pre-installed apps).

I just want to know from real world android users why YOU guys prefer T-Mobile over the other big-time national carriers.
I've actually been on the fence about this as well. T-mobile has some nice devices, but they also have their own issues. Their network isn't as fast, their coverage just isn't as good, and theres the looming AT&T buyout. (and uncertainty about how big blue is going to handle that)

Verizon has issues as well. I wouldn't say the Charge is a mid-tier device because it isn't really. But it is definitely overpriced. LTE also has better speeds and is the way of the future, so its got that going for it.

If you have excellent t-mobile coverage wherever you'll go, and aren't worried about the AT&T buyout, go that route. If you need more reliability, and don't mind paying more for devices that can use a better network, go with Verizon.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I use Tmo mainly for their prices (plans and phones) and being able to switch between phones without having to call CS, just switch SIM card and that's it.

Then again, that whole takeover by ATT is another issue that you have to think about.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The AT&T buyout won't have any real affects for at least 2 years in my opinion, so as of right now I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the buyout looking less likely every day? And I have noticed T-Mobile advertising everywhere. And didn't the FCC say they don't like the idea of the big 4 merging/ buying each other?
Sent from my Huawei Ascend using Tapatalk

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, the senate hearing sure made it seem like it wouldn't be a walk in the park for this merger to happen, which makes me pretty darn happy. I would live to see the fcc and department of justice just say no to the whole thing and put a little damper on AT&T's ego.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the buyout looking less likely every day? And I have noticed T-Mobile advertising everywhere. And didn't the FCC say they don't like the idea of the big 4 merging/ buying each other?
Sent from my Huawei Ascend using Tapatalk

No. It actually looks more likely. The longer it drags on, the more likely it is to get approved.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I necessarily agree. The anti-trust issues this merger would create couldn't possibly be accepted. They've already had to break up AT&T once before, lets hope they haven't already forgotten that.

Charlesleonard

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Cost, customer service and variety of devices. For my area it gets the best coverage out of all the providers by far. I can't imagine switching but obviously each person has a carrier at best fits their needs...I just can't imagine paying out the nose like so many people do for the same, or less in some cases, service that's available at T-Mobile.

Plus I just love all the high end Android phones they offer :)

Same as above and grandfathered in to the old unlimited data plan. With T-mobile for 10 years and am very concerned about ATT merger. Customer service at ATT is so bad that I can't even rate it as a joke!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
AT&T has great service imo. No carrier is perfect, but yeah.

I doubt the merger will happen.

With AT&T it depends where you live. If you're near a big city, they suck.

Use chicago as an example. Their speeds and reliability are AWFUL. So bad, in fact, that they're spending $150 million in upgrades, and it still won't make it on par with the other carriers. They've actually regressed over the last three years or so, because the coverage used to be a lot, lot better.

When (not if) the T-mobile purchase goes through, they'll be able to plug the gaps, especially in city networks. Without it, they don't have many options.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I know the Seattle market is the same way with AT&T...pretty amazing because you would think it would be the opposite situation in the bigger cities.

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I live in Northern NJ and I just switched to between all carriers in the span of two weeks(My last being Verizon). Tmobile has the best data speeds and pings of all the carriers by a fairly wide margin. Verizon and Sprint's 3g data is horribly slow. Today I will test Manhattan. There Verizon rules the roost. Speedy LTE coverage from the Meadowlands to the city and in buildings.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I know the Seattle market is the same way with AT&T...pretty amazing because you would think it would be the opposite situation in the bigger cities.

You'd think so, but cities have a lot more obstacles to deal with.

Case in point: I was just in the city of Chicago the other day, which is blanketed with 42 mbps HSPA+, and I couldn't get it to go above 5 mbps. Traveled 30 miles into the suburbs, and it hit 11.