Galaxy S4 Back Up

chuckbeeez

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to Android and just upgraded to the Galaxy S4. My question is how does one do a back up of their phone in case someone wants to do a system restore. I had an iphone and doing a back up was as simple as just plugging the phone into itunes. Is there a desktop software for the Galaxy that's similar to itunes which can give me this option? I would want my messages, apps, settings, and basically everything backed up. Thanks in advance.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello

For starters aside from what Samsung Kies software handles there is an application called Carbon backup. I haven't used it but many have and its supposed to do a very nice job especially for unrooted phones where backup options are limited.

Next there is some basic things you can do aside from that like making sure under Settings there will be an option to SYNC/BACKUP your apps with Google's servers. This will upon a factory reset start to redownload your apps back to your device. Contacts/calender again same thing make sure they are setup to sync to your Google account. Text messages you can grab a great 3rd party app called SMS Backup & Restore which does a super job of handling text messages.

About the only area that may get somewhat limiting is your app data which is a plus side to those people who choose to unlock & root their devices so they can get a full & proper backup of apps/data.

chuckbeeez

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'll get started by syncing everything first to Google and see from there with Kies and Carbon. I was reading Kies really isn't as reliable as advertised so I'm a bit weary but will give it a download anyway. Figured it would be easier on an unrooted phone compared to a rooted one.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello

For starters aside from what Samsung Kies software handles there is an application called Carbon backup. I haven't used it but many have and its supposed to do a very nice job especially for unrooted phones where backup options are limited.

Next there is some basic things you can do aside from that like making sure under Settings there will be an option to SYNC/BACKUP your apps with Google's servers. This will upon a factory reset start to redownload your apps back to your device. Contacts/calender again same thing make sure they are setup to sync to your Google account. Text messages you can grab a great 3rd party app called SMS Backup & Restore which does a super job of handling text messages.

About the only area that may get somewhat limiting is your app data which is a plus side to those people who choose to unlock & root their devices so they can get a full & proper backup of apps/data.

I traded in the 16gb for the 32gb, I said it set to backup to my google account, how do I restore to my settings I had before.

Thomas Schwarz

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
In Theorie you can also backup the settings with Kies.
Only problem is that Kies is an unreliable piece of garbage.
Ihave kies latest Version, S4 with latest updates. Backup will get stuck somewhere. Sometimes it happens when it comes to music, sometimes, when it comes to pictures, sometimes when it reaches videos, sometimes.....there is no pattern. Real solid basic BS.
Then it just hangs and the percentage indicator will not move ....I tried several times now waiting for eight hours... No error message - it just does not move on. So you have to cancel. After that you have hell of a lot of folders in the Kies backup folder. Those are always all empty.

Once that useless garbage actually "finished" the backup..l.with one fault (could not backup the apps). But there was no backup file in the kies backup folder....

The phone might be good. Kies sucks big time. A bunch of amateurs is dicing this "program" ( better call that what it really is GARBAGE) and releasing it after testing it by monkeys.