S4 not ringing or notifying me of a call/missed call

kellbell1989

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
So recently I upgraded to the Galaxy S4 (not the active). The phone in itself is amazing, it has some awesome features that my prior HTC One X doesn't have. With that being said, this phone is giving me so much issues regarding making a connection to the network when someone calls me. It never rings (maybe once it will ring in a week's period), nor notifys me of a call coming in, it doesn't even tell me I missed a call, the only way I am aware of a missed call is when the phone tells me there is a new voicemail. That's another thing, the phone will ring maybe twice (on the callers end) and then go to voicemail. I have done everything under the sun; factory reset, soft reset, pulled the battery, new sim card, keep the phone stock with no apps, I even got another, brand new, out-of-the-box phone from AT&T and it is still doing the same thing. Currently I switched my sim out and am using my old HTC One X phone that doesn't have this problem. Right now, it's on 4G LTE and two bars of service on top of being connected to WiFi. When I was using the S4, it wouldn't show it was connected to 4G, only sporadically during the day, only the WiFi would be shown up top with one to two bars of service. With the S4, I seemed to have trouble sending texts, and MMS messages, however I don't have this issue with the HTC One X. I have gone through the settings and ensured the block call feature is turned off, I also made sure the call reject feature is off. I am a stay at home mother so I am home most of the day when all of this occurs.

Does anyone have any idea what this issue is? I have been reading similar issues with this phone.

Last edited:

rfortson

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had this with a couple of different phones (my previous Sony and LG phones, and it seemed to happen once on my S4). I mark it up to ATT's network. If your specific phone is doing it, then it may be a HW issue and I'd swap phones. AFAIK, there's no systemic problem with the S4 causing it to miss calls.

kellbell1989

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure what the issue is, this is the second brand new S4, so ATT is going to send me the Samsung Note 2 and see if the problem clears up, but other than that it's the phone.

kellbell1989

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I also want to add that my neighbor next door to me has herself the S4 on sprint's network, her and her husband have one and they have no problems, it seems just to be mine.

LandAnchor

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Use volume rocker switch located on top left side of phone to increase volume. When pop up window with volume setting pops up touch the settings icon (gear). You should now see four different settings (Ring, media, notifications, system) in the pop up volume window. Adjust the slider for the desired item.

debrisa1

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
After lots of phonecalls & wasted time, I have discovered how to get the phone ringing again. It seems this problem happens after software updates. So turn off automatic updates in Settings. Then draw down the status/notification bar from the top of the Home screen - if the Priority icon is lit up with a star, tap on it so it's greyed out and says All underneath it. Apparently there is Priority List for contacts which Samsung has not bothered to tell anyone about - if your Contacts are not on this list, the phone will not accept the calls & also seems to knock off the ringer! What an extraordinary feature to have built in - if you don't want to answer a particular caller, you refuse it!! Go get your act together Samsung and sort it - it was bad enough with the S2 when the call screen vanished during the call & so you could not end it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo