Wi-fi only to make calls with Google Voice or Vonage?

Egidio

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone been able to make phone calls using their Google Voice number or Vonage app just with Wi-Fi and no other connection? Is that possible?

ramnath82

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes I can, and make sure you configure gtalk for incoming calls for google voice. Grooveip or talkatone will do the trick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Egidio

ramnath82

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I used Grooveip from outside US. You can also get another Us number from free service like sipsoceryand configure in sip account for incoming calls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

tim horton

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Tim, do you mean you used Google Voice from overseas to the US?
Yes, by using GrooveIp with Android phones you can using your google voice account to call US and Canada from overseas. Google voice using gmail call phone feature from web browser is blocked outside US.
Even I have not use Vonage from overseas, here is my understanding. Once you install the free app and verify your account, you can call any phone numbers in US and Canada for free. Calls between Vonage users are free worldwide. They work like Skype calls and you don't need phone numbers for those.
When I am overseas, I am usually not in the 3G/wifi cloud. Getting a free incoming internet phone call can be difficult. Vonage or Skype are more useful because you can turn on the app when you have wifi and others will know you are online and they can ring you. I buy a local simcard to take care of local calls and receive long distance calls.

Reactions: Egidio