Poor reception in my house and I mean poor.

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
We've lived in our current home since 2015 and Verizon has always worked fine here. Not the strongest signals but still, plenty to talk so on. We were told some months back that working on the towers near us was happening and I now see 5g on my cell once in a while but currently at 0530 I do not. But in the last few weeks I can get calls here or I can make calls and the call quality degrades after a minute or so on many of the calls. Some so bad that I lose the person or just have to hang up. My wife has not experienced this but she is still working so she is home less whereas I am retired and of course take all my calls here. I am hooked to our wi-fi and wi-fi calling is on. Should I experiment with wi-fi calling off? I was told some time back, on here I believe, I should have this turned on. I guess my next step is to call Verizon but I feel their first level techs are doing nothing but reading answers from a script.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I would first try turning off WiFi calling and see how that goes. Are you using a physical SIM or an eSIM? If physical you can try converting to eSIM or, if it's an old SIM, perhaps ask Verizon for a replacement if you prefer a physical SIM. You can also try resetting your network preferences.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I would first try turning off WiFi calling and see how that goes. Are you using a physical SIM or an eSIM? If physical you can try converting to eSIM or, if it's an old SIM, perhaps ask Verizon for a replacement if you prefer a physical SIM. You can also try resetting your network preferences.
I've been told by Verizon that the Android esim isn't working great yet. I had to go back to using my S23U for a bit and they said to use the sim card. I don't know, just what they told me. They didn't elaborate if it's Android or Samsung.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
To the op, this could be a issue from now on at your house. 5G does not penetrate walls as good, one of the reasons I think 5G is a bad idea. Let's face it, 4G is plenty fast enough for phones if we are going to be honest with ourselves. While you can, lock it on 4G, we all know Verizon will eventually block that option or use WiFi calling at home.

Reactions: notforhire

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with swebb -- if the phone is set to prefer mobile over wi-fi in the wi-fi calling settings, and if your mobile signal is iffy (like if it keeps vacillating between 5G and 4G), that might contribute to instability.

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree with swebb -- if the phone is set to prefer mobile over wi-fi in the wi-fi calling settings, and if your mobile signal is iffy (like if it keeps vacillating between 5G and 4G), that might contribute to instability.
I cannot find a setting that addresses this. I'm sure it is just me but not sure where to look.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
To the op, this could be a issue from now on at your house. 5G does not penetrate walls as good, one of the reasons I think 5G is a bad idea. Let's face it, 4G is plenty fast enough for phones if we are going to be honest with ourselves. While you can, lock it on 4G, we all know Verizon will eventually block that option or use WiFi calling at home.
I cannot find a setting that addresses this. I'm sure it is just me but not sure where to look.
Trying to follow along here; but where do you see if you're on 5G or not? I don't see anything under Settings > Connections ... that shows 5G or 4G, and it's not designated up in the thin black notification bar at top of display. And how do you "lock it on 4G" ??
Thanks for any & all enlightenment !;-)

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Trying to follow along here; but where do you see if you're on 5G or not? I don't see anything under Settings > Connections ... that shows 5G or 4G, and it's not designated up in the thin black notification bar at top of display. And how do you "lock it on 4G" ??
Thanks for any & all enlightenment !;-)
I know with AT&T, you either have a 5G indicator or LTE. I'd imagine it's the same with VZW. (am happy to be corrected)

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Settings-Connections-WiFi Calling-Calling Preferences .
The path on my S23 running on Mint Mobile. Of course, Verizon may change or cripple some of these settings.
Settings-Connections-Mobile Networks-Network Mode is the path to set mobile network preferences. Of course, ymmv with Verizon.

Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I know with AT&T, you either have a 5G indicator or LTE. I'd imagine it's the same with VZW. (am happy to be corrected)
Settings-Connections-WiFi Calling-Calling Preferences .
The path on my S23 running on Mint Mobile. Of course, Verizon may change or cripple some of these settings.
Settings-Connections-Mobile Networks-Network Mode is the path to set mobile network preferences. Of course, ymmv with Verizon.
Hmmm. We're w/ Xfinity Mobile, which rides on the Verizon network towers/transmitters, and we only have the vertical bar columns, with no '5G' or 'LTE' or any text badge on it or next to it, like we used to have w/ AT&T.

And under Settings > Connections > Mobile networks . . . we only have:
  • Data Roaming Access ..."Connect to mobile networks while roaming."
  • Access Point Names > "Xfinity Mobile VZWINTERNET"
  • Network operators > Select automatically ..."Let your phone choose the best mobile network for you. If you turn this off, you can choose from a list of available networks."

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm. We're w/ Xfinity Mobile, which rides on the Verizon network towers/transmitters, and we only have the vertical bar columns, with no '5G' or 'LTE' or any text badge on it or next to it, like we used to have w/ AT&T.

• Network operators > Select automatically ..."Let your phone choose the best mobile network for you. If you turn this off, you can choose from a list of available networks."
perhaps because you're using a MVNO?

evanborkow

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

I just replaced my s10e with an s23. The s10e was a verzon phone. It showed 4lte. My new phone is unlocked but still on veizon and it does not show 4glte or 5g.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I just replaced my s10e with an s23. The s10e was a verzon phone. It showed 4lte. My new phone is unlocked but still on veizon and it does not show 4glte or 5g.
Same here, though w/ Xfinity Mobile, as far as not showing 4G, LTE. or 5G in the status bar, where my S23+ only shows the vertical bar columns.

Not! Hmmm! 🤔 Now, when I turn my wi-fi off, my S23+ is showing "LTE+".... then just "LTE". Duh! I must've had my wi-fi on before. 🙄😁

Last edited:
Reactions: notforhire

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29