► My hand is beginning to ache ◀︎

BenDown

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
I recently replace my old Android mobile phone ( Motorola Moto Z ) . I briefly checked out a range of Android mobile phones and their specifications Vs the phones cost and found that the ZTE Blade V50 Design model was the best value for the money. So off to the local mobile phone shop where they had a ZTE Blade V50 Design model on sale at a good price. So I purchased the ZTE Blade V50 Design . So back home to set up my brand new ZTE Blade V50 Design mobile phone . After physically handling the phone for an hour I suddenly realized that I had made an enormous blunder. Yes my brand new ZTE Blade V50 Design mobile phone had far a better specification than my old Motorola Moto Z , yes my brand new ZTE Blade V50 Design mobile phone had a larger screen than my old Motorola Moto Z . But having to now hold in my hand what feels like a large heavy house brick that makes my hand instantly ache , came as a big shock. Now when I hold in my hand the new ZTE Blade V50 Design mobile phone , it constantly becomes a reminder that I messed up by not fully paying attention to ‘’ all ‘’ the ZTE Blade V50 Design mobile phones specifications.

Why does it seem that most non expensive up to date Android mobile phones are built and feel like heavy house bricks . :rolleyes:

spec1.jpg

Ben

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The glass backs, perhaps?

Whatever it is, the days of the well designed, elegantly small and lightweight, powerful, pocketable mobile phone are long gone. I still use my iPhone SE 2016 for some things: it’s by far the best phone I’ve ever had for one-handed use.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would chalk it up to the obsession with "premium materials" like metal bodies and glass backs, which add to the weight. Plastic is a lot lighter, but we were all persuaded by certain companies (or rather, a certain company) that a phone was garbage unless it was built from these kinds of materials.:cautious:

In addition, batteries keep getting bigger and bigger, since (a) probably the top complaint from users has often been poor battery life, and (b) the more powerful phones become, the more power they use, and hence need a bigger battery.

BenDown

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
The glass backs, perhaps?

Whatever it is, the days of the well designed, elegantly small and lightweight, powerful, pocketable mobile phone are long gone. I still use my iPhone SE 2016 for some things: it’s by far the best phone I’ve ever had for one-handed use.

I would gladly forgo all the heavy glass and metal , just to have a lighter mobile phone. A new iPhone SE is on sale here ( online ) for around $ 490 .

Ben

. iPhone.jpg

Reactions: belodion

BenDown

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
I would chalk it up to the obsession with "premium materials" like metal bodies and glass backs, which add to the weight. Plastic is a lot lighter, but we were all persuaded by certain companies (or rather, a certain company) that a phone was garbage unless it was built from these kinds of materials.:cautious:

In addition, batteries keep getting bigger and bigger, since (a) probably the top complaint from users has often been poor battery life, and (b) the more powerful phones become, the more power they use, and hence need a bigger battery.

I seem to remember when mobile phones first started coming out they were large bricks with buttons and stick out antennas , then they started to become smaller , but now the majority of mobile phones seem to getting bigger.

Just a thought , bigger screens more engagement more ads more money.:rolleyes:

Ben

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I seem to remember when mobile phones first started coming out they were large bricks with buttons and stick out antennas , then they started to become smaller , but now the majority of mobile phones seem to getting bigger.

Just a thought , bigger screens more engagement more ads more money.:rolleyes:

Ben

Ah, but also remember: older geezer eyes (like mine) need bigger screens! :LOL:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I would gladly forgo all the heavy glass and metal , just to have a lighter mobile phone. A new iPhone SE is on sale here ( online ) for around $ 490 .

Ben

.View attachment 363127

Yes. I have one. They’re good phones, but the handling is not as good as on the original SE, because of the side placement of the Power button. The forefinger can easily press downwards on the top-mounted Power button, but a sideways press is awkward, and at the same time makes your thumb press against the Volume buttons. This is why I said “well designed” in my first post.

You wouldn’t think that it would be particularly difficult to design phones well, but, looking at most current Androids and iPhones, it presumably is.