2.2 Unofficial Rumor

anon(4936081)

May 10, 2010
Visit site
If I were Dan Hesse and Sprint....

This would be "part of the plan". Everyone is spot on. HTC and Google are best friends and the updates to Sense likely are already done. It'll probably push to the Nexus today at I/O and get a bunch of good "tech" press (read: free advertising). Then, oh, just a few short weeks later, BOOM! it pushes to the Evo on activation as speculated = delighted customers, raving reviews by tech blogs etc (I know they're already coming out using the current build...having 2.2 is just reason to "review" it again, eh?), and get a ton of good free press again from all the digital channels.

I think this is an ace in the hole and I'm optimistic. They'd be very very smart to make a huge splash on all fronts with this product launch, and 2.2 at launch is an easy way to make that happen. Ironic they're launching the phone 2 weeks after Google I/O, and just in time for Premier customers that bought Pre's to upgrade??? I think not. Sounds well planned out if this is how it truly goes down. +1 to you Sprint for product launch strategy.

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that Cnet's Bonnia Cha said she asked Sprint if they planned on upgrading the Evo to 2.2 at launch and she said Sprint had "No Comment"...

I was thinking they would shoot down these rumors if there wasn't a chance in hell it was coming. So maybe there's still a chance at 2.2 at launch?

That's my optimistic post for the day. lol

MNofsinger

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I think I read that Hese said that there would be a few suprises to come out in the next few weeks. maybe this is one of those. I just read the Endgadget review and can't wait to get my hands on this phone...

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I think I read that Hese said that there would be a few suprises to come out in the next few weeks. maybe this is one of those. I just read the Endgadget review and can't wait to get my hands on this phone...

This comment is spot on. I was hoping someone else would bring this up. Hesse said there would be more news to come in the next few weeks. What other news woule come out besides Googles I/O annoucement of Froyo + EVO 4G.

Not only is it perfect marketing for HTC + GOOGLE + ADOBE + SPRINT, but it will create a buzz in the media (like a previous poster mentioned) once the release comes. This will in turn create more hype for the phone, which you all need to remember is right around the announcement of the new iphone. The release of EVO 4G with a froyo OTA update on launch will SQUASH all the hype around the iphone IMO.

slideways

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine Sprint and Google would have to work out the WIFI feature on both the EVO and 2.2. No, way they are going to boast about the EVO having wifi capabilities and charge $30 for it and then update the phone to Froyo only to have wifi option for free.

drew0020

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm disappointed in this news. I was really hoping for 2.2 sooner than later. You'd think htc, sprint, and google would have figured this out for such a major launch. Oh well...

I'm back on the waiting bandwagon with the new iPhone. Worst case I'll buy on June 8.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would imagine Sprint and Google would have to work out the WIFI feature on both the EVO and 2.2. No, way they are going to boast about the EVO having wifi capabilities and charge $30 for it and then update the phone to Froyo only to have wifi option for free.

Not to mention USB tethering support too. Though hopefully they let that stay being the phone has 4G. Ahh letting me use the 2.2 tethering option at no extra cost, dream.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
since I've been on this conspiracy theory for awhile I'll continue it.

Google touted all of Froyo's fancy newness, told devs to keep developing and then gives them a phone with 2.1 that won't be updated for months.,
I don't think so. Wait for it...

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
since I've been on this conspiracy theory for awhile I'll continue it.

Google touted all of Froyo's fancy newness, told devs to keep developing and then gives them a phone with 2.1 that won't be updated for months.,
I don't think so. Wait for it...

it seems odd, but i'm more on the doubting wagon now.

froyo still, from what i see, doesn't have an official release. i figured if it were released to N1's very soon, we have a good chance... now i'm quite uncertain...