3 chime notification is driving me crazy...trying to find out what it is, please help!

3chimez

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
Seriously, how can there not be a found solution to this? I have looked everywhere I can think. For that last 3 weeks I had not heard it but the last 24 hours it has gone off 3 times. It make me want to throw my phone across the room. Of course that mean they win. So I won't. Other than all the suggestions before, rendering your phone uesless by turning off all your apps for extended periods, and using notification logging apps that don't do anything, is there anything anyone has found? It must be external, as the 3 chime notification sound is not saved into the phone, best I can tell.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You have a intermittent issue that was good for last 3 weeks and now shows up , dont expect anyone to figure it out in seconds especially over the internet . You said you were instructed to use safe mode / download app to see where the notifications coming from , i would have recommended those also , so provide more information and be patience im sure youll get it figured out .

Last edited:

3chimez

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
I am sorry Yall. I thought I was replying to an existing thread so the subject matter would be known.

So, let me splain.

I get a 3 chime notification that sounds like the old NBC thing on tv Bong Bong Bong.
Tried checking notificaation history. Tried notification tracking apps. Nothing shows up. History of this subject goes back years on android central. After all this time I though there would be a solution; specific app that is doing it, etc. have notification turned off still does it It is random. For about 2 or 3 weeks I didn't hear it then the other day it did it, I think 3 times. It just did it again about 20 min ago. It has done it at 4 and 450 am waking me up. For me, this only started within the last 4 months. some days it doesn't do it, Or at least I didn't hear it, other days it might do it a couple of times. safe mode means my phone is pretty much useless and sence there are periods where it doesn't happen I cant see that being feasable.

I just thought after all this time someone would know the cause. I might need a tinfoil hat soon, so any insignt will be most welcome.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for joining the forums, @3chimez, I fleshed out your title, edited you in as the thread starter, and moved the thread to the S10e subforum. Welcome to the AC forums!

Did you install any apps in the last month or so that might have this as a secondary notification sound? Can you identify the sound from your Sounds and Vibrations listing? One of the things I hear rarely is a System Notification that might be what you're hearing. These are all things to check on.

3chimez

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
NFC been off for a long time
I am not aware of apps that got installed just prior to the 3 chime
things that I have looked at and I am certainly not a phone expert by any stretch so it is possible i don't look in the right places etc.
system notifications--- I have turned those notifications off
NFC--- been off
recent apps i may have installed---dont believe so
looked at notificataions and sounds. None of them that list are that tone. so it is hidden or it is being driven from outside. Like something autoplaying
I have had this happen at home, in the car, at work. so I cant say it only happens when on my home network. It has happened both on and off of a charger. It has happened both while phone is setting idle or when using it for something.

3chimez

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
somebody mentioned 'secondary notification' I don't know what that is.
Also, and I am a little embarassed to say this, I turned off amber alerts. ONLY BECAUSE it was overwelming me with alerts that were not helpful.
Another possiblity I thougt of is the National Alert System. I don't think there is anything you can do with that. Last time that went off with an alert message attached was during the Riots in Columbia SC where they sent one out telling everyone there was a curfew starting that evening. But, I don't know what that tone was.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you try recording the tone and sharing a link? It might help for us to hear what that sounds like.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
NFC been off for a long time
I am not aware of apps that got installed just prior to the 3 chime
things that I have looked at and I am certainly not a phone expert by any stretch so it is possible i don't look in the right places etc.
system notifications--- I have turned those notifications off
NFC--- been off
recent apps i may have installed---dont believe so
looked at notificataions and sounds. None of them that list are that tone. so it is hidden or it is being driven from outside. Like something autoplaying
I have had this happen at home, in the car, at work. so I cant say it only happens when on my home network. It has happened both on and off of a charger. It has happened both while phone is setting idle or when using it for something.
Try Nice catch in Samsung play store and Toast notification in Google play store and see whith in few hours anything shows up

3chimez

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
sound happend randomly it would be practically impossible to get a recording. It is 3 chimes sounds like the NBC thing on TV a few years ago.
I downloaded nice catch and another tracking app. Nothing showed up on either of them when it happens. I ended up deleting them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
sound happend randomly it would be practically impossible to get a recording. It is 3 chimes sounds like the NBC thing on TV a few years ago.
I downloaded nice catch and another tracking app. Nothing showed up on either of them when it happens. I ended up deleting them.

Give it time to gather information and try the other app i suggested

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
It may seem radical but one solution would be to go into settings and turn off ALL notifications.

Then I would turn on one notification that is really important to you and see if you've lost the three chimes.

Then add another and another.

You may never hear those chimes again.

3chimez

Sep 22, 2021
Visit site
Well had a number of days in a row with no chimes. Then twice last night and 1 just now. Nothing shows in notifications. Notification apps are useless. Can it bi a virus? if so how do I check for viruses. Is there some other sort of thing that could monitor all activities on the phone? Like maybe there is something you could run on a computer with the phone connected via usb? Im spitballing here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which browser are you using? In case this is some notification sent by a website, see what happens if you disable or uninstall that browser and try a different browser.