3 year BB user switching to Android tomorrow (potentially! -- questions/advice?)

PhantoM_XI

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, really sorry if this is the wrong place but I've scoured the forum (and christ there's a lot of sub-forums) but it doesn't seem to be an exact place to seek general handset advice, so I figure whilst I introduce myself it may be a good time? Sorry if I'm wrong.

Okay, so I've decided enough is enough and after 3 years with an old BlackBerry (despite loving the keyboard and being fairly reluctant to touchscreens) I'm pretty much sick of it, so it's time to move on and Android appeals to me over other OS systems.

The shop I work for allows me to get 40% off tariffs in Phones 4 U (I live in the UK), and I've been in today to look at deals with EE and I've been offered the following on 4G:

?24 unlimited texts/mins 2gb
?25.80 unlimited texts/mins 4gb
?27 unlimited texts/mins 5gb

(discount applied already, of course)

These are all handset included as you'd expect, and I'd get ?85 cashback (in hand) for signing up. Additional ?20 if I trade in my old phone, optionally.

The 3 handsets I'm looking at are the HTC One, Samsung S4 or Sony Xperia Z1, but I can't decide! I've had a look at all of them and the S4 seems the most ideal in terms of size (the Z1 is very heavy and bulky) but I've heard such mixed opinions from friends and the like on different companies that I figured I'd turn to a forum.

I'll be a first time user and it'll be fairly light to medium use compared to most of you I would expect... what phone will be best for me for the next 2 years?

Thanks in advance, and aside from all of that... hello :)

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
All of these phones have gotten pretty high ratings.

HTC One: Pros = specs, solid industrial design, very good screen, great speakers, beats audio, blinkfeed; Cons = no removable battery, no SD slot, 4 MP camera

Galaxy S4: Pros = specs, great AMOLED screen, impressive 13 MP camera w/ lots of features, removable battery, SD slot; Cons = TouchWiz (kind of ugly & lags at times), some of the extra Samsung features are kind of gimmicky

Xperia Z1: Pros = specs, water resistant, good build quality, very nice 20 MP camera w/, SD slot, visually appealing Sony skin; Cons = no removable battery, battery life, bulky, screen (step below S4 and HTC One)

I'd probably pick the S4 since it has 13 MP camera, SD and removable battery. Really don't like Toouchwiz, but I'd likely just use Nova Launcher to change the look.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Just saw the part about being a light to medium user. You might not really care about swapping out the battery or using an SD card. Therefore, the HTC ONE could be a really good fit for you.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to this great forums! 👍😆

I'm a first time Samsung phone owner and I really love my Galaxy S4.
I was undecided between the GS4 and the HTC One, but I went with the GS4.
It all depends on your needs from a phone.

Do you want a phone that takes great pictures over all, or just good enough for anything?

Do you need a phone that's water resistant and doesn't cover the rest of your needs?

Make a list of your needs and another list with what you want from a phone. It'll help you decide better.

Good luck!
May the Force be with you! :thumbup::cool:

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, really sorry if this is the wrong place but I've scoured the forum (and christ there's a lot of sub-forums) but it doesn't seem to be an exact place to seek general handset advice, so I figure whilst I introduce myself it may be a good time? Sorry if I'm wrong.

Okay, so I've decided enough is enough and after 3 years with an old BlackBerry (despite loving the keyboard and being fairly reluctant to touchscreens) I'm pretty much sick of it, so it's time to move on and Android appeals to me over other OS systems.

The shop I work for allows me to get 40% off tariffs in Phones 4 U (I live in the UK), and I've been in today to look at deals with EE and I've been offered the following on 4G:

?24 unlimited texts/mins 2gb
?25.80 unlimited texts/mins 4gb
?27 unlimited texts/mins 5gb

(discount applied already, of course)

These are all handset included as you'd expect, and I'd get ?85 cashback (in hand) for signing up. Additional ?20 if I trade in my old phone, optionally.

The 3 handsets I'm looking at are the HTC One, Samsung S4 or Sony Xperia Z1, but I can't decide! I've had a look at all of them and the S4 seems the most ideal in terms of size (the Z1 is very heavy and bulky) but I've heard such mixed opinions from friends and the like on different companies that I figured I'd turn to a forum.

I'll be a first time user and it'll be fairly light to medium use compared to most of you I would expect... what phone will be best for me for the next 2 years?

Thanks in advance, and aside from all of that... hello :)

Welcome to the forums.
Sacto pretty much hit everything about pros and con's. Stargate has a good idea about listing wants versus needs.
The only thing I can add is Samsung has a really good track record for updating flagships for 12 to 18 months.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! The first two post sum up my thoughts as well. If I can add anything, it would be to get a phone that fits your needs and has that perfect hardware & software balance you want in a device. Let us know what you decide on getting and how it works out for you?

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I too came from BB and was using it aboit the same time you were. I got the Galaxy S4 and love it. Although I would still use a BB, this phone has become my best friend. The only thing is of course just like with a BlackBerry, there is a learning curve on the basics of the OS. You just have to learn where everything is. I played around with the S4 at work alot before I bought it so I figured out how to use it. Also, had to get used to a touch screen keyboard as I always had the physical keyboard (and at one time swore by it). Good luck in coming to the green side.

Posted via Android Central App

mysidx

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered the LG G2? I would go with that over the S4, or get the One. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum!

The GS4 is a great device and won't let you down, I do however agree with the above post, have you seen the LG G2? It has many of the features that the GS4 has and has a much better screen and battery life IMO. It's blazing fast and is overall a fantastic device.

PhantoM_XI

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I did some research and looked at reviews and just picked up a HTC One in Red, got a bunch of freebies/goodies with it, too, which is nice. The S4 was tempting but in terms of overall spec the One seemed to just come up trumps for me, plus a friend strongly recommended it.

Hopefully these forums will come in handy as I'm very new to Android :)

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I came from a blackberry myself and purchased my first android phone which happens to be the htc one.. This phone is perfect for the beginners into android...It's syncs all my accounts perfectly and I was able to move my calendar and notes over from my blackberry to my one.. I think this phone is great and after 5 months with it.. I will definitely purchase another android device... This phone is easy to learn and the specs is the best.. Awesome sound quality, battery life and screen resolution/size.. I love the 32gb of memory and the camera is okay.. I'm not big on taking pics so the 4mp doesn't bother me.. I think overall the htc one is a great phone and you won't be disappointed with this device..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I did some research and looked at reviews and just picked up a HTC One in Red, got a bunch of freebies/goodies with it, too, which is nice. The S4 was tempting but in terms of overall spec the One seemed to just come up trumps for me, plus a friend strongly recommended it.

Hopefully these forums will come in handy as I'm very new to Android :)

Congrats on your new "toy", it's a good device! :thumbup::D
Have fun and enjoy it.
What freebies and goodies did you get?

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klesun