32GB or 16GB + MicroSD

malifact

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am currently in the process of buying the Nexus 5 and trying to decide between the 16GB or 32GB models. Although I could afford the 32GB version, I am currently swaying towards the 16GB one. The reason is I have a MicroSD card that holds all my music in mp3 format (about 27GB). I know the Nexus 5 doesn't have a MicroSD slot, but I was planning to get the Meenova adapter so I could connect the card. I have a mini MP3 player which I use for the gym etc and it would be convenient to share the card between that and the Nexus 5, rather than installing the same audio files on both devices.

I guess my question is should I still air on the side of caution and get the 32GB version? I have a 128GB iPad and so I wouldn't be loading the Nexus 5 with a lot of films and games; just some apps like PlayerPro and Whatsapp. Is it possible that the Meenova adapter will stop working with the Nexus 5 in a future firmware update? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated, as I am new to Android and not sure how much storage space is really necessary.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I remember reading that it was a better idea to get the 32GB for the small increase in price and I can't say I disagree. Plus, I think the 32GB may have better resale value.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Haalcyon. Plus, after you start putting big games on they'll gradually eat up more space and the phone runs better (maybe that's just in my head) with space to spare.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
As was said in the above post, it is a much safer and perhaps better value decision than the long run unless you are 100% certain that 16GB enough (you could spend the extra money on a good case and a wireless charger.) Also note that you stated your options are 32GB or 16+SD card with 27GB music - the 32GB version only has 26.7 GB storage so you will need the SD card anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
The 32gb doesn't even have 27 gigs free. I'm holding mine now. Total available space 26.76 gb

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using AC Forums mobile app.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
For the minute increase in price I would go with the 32 for sure. You're future proofing your phone and adding resale. Lol I'd pay even more if I could get a 64 gig version

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
26.76Gb vs 32Gb is a non-trivial difference, however. I'd assume the same 5Gb is used up on a 16Gb phone, so the choices are really 11Gb vs 27Gb of usable storage.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I would go for the 32 GB version. Who knows if they might remove support in a future update.

Sent from my Moto X!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Get the 32 if possible. As suggested above you'll future proofing it memory wise. If you really don't need that much memory then the smaller version would suffice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The only way I'd think the 16 would be OK is someone who isn't a power user. Just texts, email, maybe shopping apps, and calls. Any data intensive activity, you want the peace of mind of extra (or adequate) space.

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Tapatalk 2
Try The Thank You Button, Thank You!