3G Widget

AllGood

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Has seen a widget that will turn off (on) 3G service and only use the 1x? I've seen some for GSM phones but not CDMA ones :(

Last edited:

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
That is because GSM operates simultaneously on 2 different frequencies. This is why you can use 2G for voice and 3G for data, aka simultaneous voice/data. This is also why GSM 3G typically have lower battery life on average than their CDMA counterparts.

CDMA operates on 1 frequency at a time, the entire CDMA network is 3G and I dont believe you can turn off the setting, it's more of a fall back mode.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
There are some widgets that will do that, but I would personally not use it on my Droid. If you want to save battery, just turn on WiFi if you are in a wifi network. That will turn off 3G automatically, and use WiFi (which is less of a power hog) for data.

Geezer Squid

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Has seen a widget that will turn off (on) 3G service and only use the 1x? I've seen some for GSM phones but not CDMA ones :(

It's not a widget, but Juice Defender will turn off data (on a schedule or circumstances you select) when you don't really need it. It claims to be able to let you receive phone calls, but basically nothing else. Also, the menu lets you turn data on for brief periods while the phone is asleep in order to download emails and messages. You might look at it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZayT