4/64 version of the G6 in the US, but only at Amazon?

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was sad to find that the 4/64 Plus version of the G6 would not be available in the US.
I was browsing swappa, yesterday and came across a 4/64 regular G6 for sale.
I asked the seller where it was purchased. His reply was "Amazon, I think". I searched Amazon and found only A Prime version of the G6 with 4GB RAM & 64GB internal storage.
https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unlo...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6288350

I Google the phone and could not find it at any other store.
I contacted Motorola and asked why it was not on their web site. Haven't heard back, yet.

I prefer motorola phones. I've tried living without Moto Actions & Display, with A Nexus 6P and an OG Pixel XL. I couldn't do it and the fingerprint scanner on the back was too much to bear.
I really need 64GB of internal storage, and if this phone is like the X4, the OS consumed 13GB of the internal storage, which doesn't leave much on a 32GB phone.
I could easily live with the physical size of the regular G6, as long as it has 64GB internal.

I hadn't read anything about this version of the G6, before yesterday, but I did find specs identifying it on a couple sites, from a Google search.

Will Amazon Prime be the only 4/64 G6 available?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wishing for the G6 Plus in the US, but found...

It looks as if the 64GB version is the H870DS - the European version, but they also have the 128GB version unlocked for the US, the G6+. The 870 and 870DS are the only ones that come in 64GB, the G6+ comes in 128GB, the rest are all 32GB. So you're limited to the G6+ and 128GB if you want to use it in the US. B&H Photo has it for the same price without the Amazon bloatware, Walmart has it for $25 more and 2 day shipping (they don't have it in the store) (or you can look on eBay - if you trust eBay sellers.)

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

BTW. If you're concerned about the Amazon "version" don't be. I bought the Amazon version and disabled the "bloatware" in minutes.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

BTW. If you're concerned about the Amazon "version" don't be. I bought the Amazon version and disabled the "bloatware" in minutes.

Disabled apps still take up space tho, right?
I'm more concerned with being able to unlock the bootloader.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

Disabled apps still take up space tho, right?
I'm more concerned with being able to unlock the bootloader.

I wouldn't know about that but I can tell you I have been happier with G6 than I was with several phones costing much more.

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I just received the 64/4 amazon exclusive g6 last night from my gf as a bday present. Disabled the amazon bloat easily, and uninstalled the ones I could. Also don't worry that you can only disable and not uninstall completely. The amount of space it takes up when each amazon app is disabled is but a tiny fraction of the size it would be if left installed and updated. the largest two disabled apps Alexa and prime video are 30mb each when disabled... the rest are tiny kbs not really an issue to worry about.

Anyway, great phone so far. Upgraded from g4plus. So far slightly better SOT, battery isn't heating up as much as g4plus. So far no ghost touch like the g4 infamously had.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just received the 64/4 amazon exclusive g6 last night from my gf as a bday present. Disabled the amazon bloat easily, and uninstalled the ones I could. Also don't worry that you can only disable and not uninstall completely. The amount of space it takes up when each amazon app is disabled is but a tiny fraction of the size it would be if left installed and updated. the largest two disabled apps Alexa and prime video are 30mb each when disabled... the rest are tiny kbs not really an issue to worry about.

Anyway, great phone so far. Upgraded from g4plus. So far slightly better SOT, battery isn't heating up as much as g4plus. So far no ghost touch like the g4 infamously had.
The ghost touch was what turned me away from Moto. I suffered with that thing. I liked the phone but it wasn't always functional and I can't fathom how a manufacturer gets a defect like that and they still put them up for sale!

I ordered a Nokia 6.1 and I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, and my Moto g4+? Some loser stole it ! It was protected by my fingerprint and pin, and if that wasn't enough, it has the ghost touch defect! Lol!

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The ghost touch was what turned me away from Moto. I suffered with that thing. I liked the phone but it wasn't always functional and I can't fathom how a manufacturer gets a defect like that and they still put them up for sale!

I ordered a Nokia 6.1 and I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, and my Moto g4+? Some loser stole it ! It was protected by my fingerprint and pin, and if that wasn't enough, it has the ghost touch defect! Lol!

lol that's what they get!
Yeah the ghost touch fiasco was a bummer for me too, before my warranty wore out I sent my phone into to moto only to receive another refurbished one three times over one year. Same story, no ghost touch at first, everything good as new, then after a while it starts, then I'd send it in and they immediately send me another one.

I gave Motorola another chance because although I had a bad experience with the 4+, their customer service and warranty was on point. My gf bought it for me two years ago off of Amazon so I didn't have any special extensive warranty or anything, just Moto's general warranty. Another reason why I gave them another chance is that from what I read, the sd450, although not super fast or anything, is built for efficiency and I haven't read the kind of heat issue reviews that I kept seeing for the 4+. So when she asked if I wanted a new phone for my birthday this year and if I wanted it to be Motorola, I said yes :D the g3 was my first one and I loved it, was a trusty backup when I had to send in my 4+ to replace.. I still love my g4+ and am using it right now to write this. I use it like it's some kind of baby tablet. After my warranty wore out and I was stuck with my last replacement, I was able to keep ghost touch at bay by not having the screen brightness over 20% not good for outside viewing but plenty for inside (at night when I use my g4+ I keep it on 0%, it's really a bright screen)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
lol that's what they get!
Yeah the ghost touch fiasco was a bummer for me too, before my warranty wore out I sent my phone into to moto only to receive another refurbished one three times over one year. Same story, no ghost touch at first, everything good as new, then after a while it starts, then I'd send it in and they immediately send me another one.

I gave Motorola another chance because although I had a bad experience with the 4+, their customer service and warranty was on point. My gf bought it for me two years ago off of Amazon so I didn't have any special extensive warranty or anything, just Moto's general warranty. Another reason why I gave them another chance is that from what I read, the sd450, although not super fast or anything, is built for efficiency and I haven't read the kind of heat issue reviews that I kept seeing for the 4+. So when she asked if I wanted a new phone for my birthday this year and if I wanted it to be Motorola, I said yes :D the g3 was my first one and I loved it, was a trusty backup when I had to send in my 4+ to replace.. I still love my g4+ and am using it right now to write this. I use it like it's some kind of baby tablet. After my warranty wore out and I was stuck with my last replacement, I was able to keep ghost touch at bay by not having the screen brightness over 20% not good for outside viewing but plenty for inside (at night when I use my g4+ I keep it on 0%, it's really a bright screen)
Oh wow, too bad I don't have mine to test that out! On mine the keyboard always started banging out the "o" and "p" and the number "9". So I thought it was due to the screen pressing on the slots for the sim and micro SD card. so I tried to bend it a bit away from those characters and it actually worked a bit. The only other thing was turning the screen off and on when it started to malfunction. Otherwise I really did like the phone. It took a long time to wear the battery down. But I didn't want to send it back so there wasn't a positive CS experience for me. I had the 4/64 model and it was plenty of room for me but also I had tons of media in that phone and memory card. I liked that a lot. I'm hoping I'll be ok with the 3/32 Nokia.

They could have offered some sort of incentive to get people to stay with Moto. Like a $50 off coupon for any Moto phone. (For people who sent their phones in.) Something like that at least.

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh wow, too bad I don't have mine to test that out! On mine the keyboard always started banging out the "o" and "p" and the number "9". So I thought it was due to the screen pressing on the slots for the sim and micro SD card. so I tried to bend it a bit away from those characters and it actually worked a bit. The only other thing was turning the screen off and on when it started to malfunction. Otherwise I really did like the phone. It took a long time to wear the battery down. But I didn't want to send it back so there wasn't a positive CS experience for me. I had the 4/64 model and it was plenty of room for me but also I had tons of media in that phone and memory card. I liked that a lot. I'm hoping I'll be ok with the 3/32 Nokia.

They could have offered some sort of incentive to get people to stay with Moto. Like a $50 off coupon for any Moto phone. (For people who sent their phones in.) Something like that at least.

Yep I used to turn mine off and on like that all the time lol super annoying. That would be nice for moto to provide continued customers a discount plan like that, it would make me like them a little bit more.

Yeah you should be fine with 32gb especially if there's sd card slot. on my 4+ I'd put my music and pictures on the card so it was mainly apps on the phone itself... don't think I ever reached more than 30 percent on my space. if there was a 32gb/4ram model I would have requested that option for my gift to save her 50 dollars or so and would still have enough space for what I do. unfortunately their option is 32/3 and I like having 4gb ram not sure if it's needs but when more apps can take up ram, the faster the phone can pulls things up

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire