4G SIM from Bionic works great in Zoom!

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am posting this from my Xoom with wifi disabled and the 4G SIM card from my Bionic installed. This will definitely come in handy. Just wanted to let you guys know that it works.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
And the stupid Thumb Keyboard always wants to correct Xoom by changing it to Zoom. Can somebody change the title of the thread?

PS - Maybe TNTdroid could change the word "Zoom" in the title to "Xoom". I posted from Tapatalk, and my Thumb Keyboard had not learned to default to "Xoom" yet.

Last edited:

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
huh? why do you need the bionics sim with your 4G Xoom that has it's own? Are you saying you can use your Bionics unlimited data on the xoom? What happens when a call comes in, you can't answer it on your xoom can you?

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
huh? why do you need the bionics sim with your 4G Xoom that has it's own? Are you saying you can use your Bionics unlimited data on the xoom?

First of all, my Xoom does not have an active 4G plan. Secondly, my Bionic has an unlimited 4G plan. So yes, that's the benefit of using the Bionic SIM in my Xoom.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
What happens when a call comes in, you can't answer it on your xoom can you?

The call still come in to the phone. Voice and 3G work through CDMA. All the 4G card does is 4G service. It's like splitting the capabilities of the phone in half and giving the 4G to the Xoom.

reishus

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
OK wait a minute! I want to make sure I understand this also. Are you saying that if I take my 4G sim card out of my bionic, I can use it on my xoom and be able to get unlimited data?

With the sim card out of the bionic, does the bionic still get 3G and phone calls work on it?

So I just got sent my xoom in for the 4G sim card. What if I were to swap the cards so that I got unlimited data with the xoom and 2 Gigs from my phone? Would that work?

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I would assume that yes, if you just swap the cards, then your Xoom would have the unlimited plan and the limited plan would be on your Bionic. The plan follows the SIM.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Since my Xoom doesn't have an activated 4G card, I can't verify that you can swap them, but I do know that the 4G card from the Bionic works great in the Xoom.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
2011-10-06_20-07-03_174.jpg

oh yea! it works GREAT!

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup! Works like a charm. If I was paying for a 4G plan on a Xoom and a Bionic, the unlimited SIM from the Bionic would live in my Xoom.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone a VZW rep on-line here that can explain any problems with doing this?

I was thinking of visiting my local store and asking them if it's possible. When they say no, I whip out my Xoom with the Bionic SIM installed and show them that it does. Then I would ask to speak to someone who knows his butt from a hole in the ground.

Carlesious

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of visiting my local store and asking them if it's possible. When they say no, I whip out my Xoom with the Bionic SIM installed and show them that it does. Then I would ask to speak to someone who knows his butt from a hole in the ground.

You guys aren't worried that by pointing this out to Verizon, they're going to find a way to keep you from doing it? If it were me, I'd keep it a secret.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You guys aren't worried that by pointing this out to Verizon, they're going to find a way to keep you from doing it? If it were me, I'd keep it a secret.

I'm sure Verizon is already aware of this, although their customer service people don't seem to be aware. I spoke to a Verizon technical support person back in September when the 4G network went down, and I asked her if I could pull the SIM out of my Bionic and put it into the Xoom once it was upgraded to 4G. She said that there is no way that would work. It really isn't something I plan on doing. I just wanted to try it to see what would happen. The only people I see really benefiting from this are those with an LTE phone and an LTE Xoom, as they could swap SIMs and use the unlimited card in the Xoom, which obviously consumes a lot more data.

reishus

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So lets take it one step further. I have a 4G card in my Bionic (unlimited) and a 4G card in my Xoom (2Gig limit). My understanding is that the 4G is tied to the sim card but the 3G that is build in the phone will still register as data from that particular phone.. Or device. So if I were to swap my 4G cards so that my unlimited was in my Xoom and my 2 gig limit was in my bionic, could I monitor my data on the card the has the 2 gig limit and when I approach that limit, go into my phone settings and swtich to 3G so that the data is no longer being tied to that sim card? Then, for the rest of the month, I could just be on 3G on my phone with unlimited data, while my xoom was still on 4G with unlimited data.

It sounds like it would work, but what do you think?

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
So lets take it one step further. I have a 4G card in my Bionic (unlimited) and a 4G card in my Xoom (2Gig limit). My understanding is that the 4G is tied to the sim card but the 3G that is build in the phone will still register as data from that particular phone.. Or device. So if I were to swap my 4G cards so that my unlimited was in my Xoom and my 2 gig limit was in my bionic, could I monitor my data on the card the has the 2 gig limit and when I approach that limit, go into my phone settings and swtich to 3G so that the data is no longer being tied to that sim card? Then, for the rest of the month, I could just be on 3G on my phone with unlimited data, while my xoom was still on 4G with unlimited data.

try it and report back? :-$

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site

You have a 2GB DATA limit, it's not specific to 3G or 4G. You can turn the Xoom to 3G only and you still have the 2GB limit.

reishus

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You have a 2GB DATA limit, it's not specific to 3G or 4G. You can turn the Xoom to 3G only and you still have the 2GB limit.

The xoom will have the unlimited sim card in it so I wouldn't change the xoom to 3g. The bionic would have my zooms 2gig limited card in it. When I come close to the 2 gig limit I would turn off the 4g on the phone so that it doesn't access the sim card. The phone would then revert to the built in 3g plan that is on the phone and is unlimited.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow