4K HDR Video Questions

jrcorwin

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I am returning to Android for the first time in many years with the delivery of my Note 20 Ultra tomorrow. I have two questions:

1. When running in "FHD+" to take advantage of variable 120 Hz motion...are you limited to 1080p video streaming? Or can you still get 4K streaming via Plex, Netflix, Prime Video, etc?
  2. When streaming something with HDR (HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Vision) does any icon or other notification appear on the screen when HDR is active? Nothing like this happens on my iPhone, but that is what happens on all of my 4K TV's. I'm just curious to hear if you get a little HDR logo pop up when you stream something with HDR.

Thank you!!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! I'm sure you'll enjoy the phone, it's pretty great!

1) You can stream the 4K content, but the screen will only display in 1080p (same with using the full '2K' resolution) and depends on the app. YouTube, for instance, does limit resolution options depending on the setting you have. Prime Video does not offer 4K video on mobile.

2) Nope, unfortunately you get no indication you're streaming/displaying in HDR :( That is also one of my main gripes with these devices since they started getting HDR support quite a few models ago. You do, however, see the HDR logo in the description on the Netflix app as well as the HDR option in YouTube videos as a resolution option. But yeah, when you're playing HDR content, there is no display indication or way to check whether or not you are, indeed, playing in HDR or HDR+. (To the best of my knowledge, Samsung devices do not support Dolby Vision, just Dolby Atmos for sound, not HDR video).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201