5X was made for tinkering

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Honor 5X was made for tinkering | Android Central

Opinions of EMUI aside, one thing that nearly everyone agrees about is that the Honor 5X has excellent hardware. You get a lot of phone for $200... And with Huawei embracing the custom development community, that means custom ROMs.

I'm looking forward to see what comes out way... Maybe getting my Nexus 6P a stock Android-running (slightly) little brother.

But I will say I'm happy to see that Honor isn't treating the custom development community as a pariah... It's those home-brewed builds where innovation begins.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... When you signed up for the Huawei account, what phone number did you use? It didn't give an option for a usa number.

Jaxom101

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm... When you signed up for the Huawei account, what phone number did you use? It didn't give an option for a usa number.

That's for a verification code. There is a tab to do it over Email. I'm sure they won't pay for international calls.

Posted via the Android Central App

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have already unlocked the bootloader, rooted, debloated.... Then had to do some adb/fastboot work and had to re-bloat lol

I haven't tinkered this much with a phone since my thunderbolt days.... It has been fun and I look forward to future development and roms!

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have already unlocked the bootloader, rooted, debloated.... Then had to do some adb/fastboot work and had to re-bloat lol

I haven't tinkered this much with a phone since my thunderbolt days.... It has been fun and I look forward to future development and roms!

How's performance after doing all that? My phone is slow as hell

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Mine is still pretty slow, some stuff is OK, but over all of SLOW.... Hopefully they'll get development of custom roms out soon, or else I'll have to jump ship lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still pretty slow, some stuff is OK, but over all of SLOW.... Hopefully they'll get development of custom roms out soon, or else I'll have to jump ship lol

I would guess that you would need a custom kernel to really improve things.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that you would need a custom kernel to really improve things.

Very much so.... that's going to be the first piece of the puzzle. No matter what you do with the phone now, you will still have to content with low level software (i.e. kernel) that wants to conserve power at all costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bonnieeugene