6p camera compared to the note 4

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So, today, I was at bestbuy and say they had a 6p on display. What a gorgeous phone. However, as an owner of the Note, Note 2, and Note 4, I am no stranger to big phones. But the 6p is enormous. I didnt really play with it for to long but I'm really curious about the camera quality.

I know it's a huge improvement over the nexus 5. But what about the Note 4. I love the Note 4 camera and after owning it I haven't really found a phone that compares (I know it's relative). I have never seen a phone comparison to it though.

Any note 4 owners who made the switch have any input?

Posted via the Android Central App

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I came from a note 4 and the camera is comparable to the note 4. It takes great pictures. If you don't use the s pen, then I'd without question say the 6p is a better phone all around. If use the s pen a lot, you might want to stay with a note.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I came from the S6 and I believe the 6P has a better camera, even without the OIS the pictures usually nail it on the first try. My experience with this phone has been incredible since owning it for the last 2 weeks.

VigneshB

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
In my opinion, 6P's camera is superior to the Note 4's.
Of course OIS is absent, but I don't think that plays a very large part except in videos.
Again, it's my personal opinion. You might find it exactly in the opposite way too.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Have a 6P, S7E, note 5 and note 4. 6P by far taked the clearest and littlest noise in any pocture hands down. My 6P blows the S7E camera out the water. Sure the 6P doesnt focus nearly as fast, but if lighting isnt great, the s7e camera is very washed out and things look more soft and not defined compared to the 6P

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I came from the S6 and I believe the 6P has a better camera, even without the OIS the pictures usually nail it on the first try. My experience with this phone has been incredible since owning it for the last 2 weeks.

Same here,came from Note 3/S6...6p is easily as good as the S6 if not better.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
but if lighting isnt great, the s7e camera is very washed out and things look more soft and not defined compared to the 6P

Exactly, well stated...that is the same experience I had with the S6. It takes wonderful shots but if the lighting is less than fantastic, it suffers...and in low light situations it's just very noisy.

vag74

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Before Nexus 6p i had a galaxy note 4,5 ,s6,s7,lg v10 and for sure nexus 6p have the best camera right now out there,extreme photos in lowlight conditions especially photos with my children.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, in good conditions, pretty much all the top shelf phones from the past year or two can take a really good picture.... The Note 4 is certainly included in that bunch. I would chance a guess that the Note 4 has a video advantage due to OIS... and they do include a much more robust camera application. But I am a pragmatist that values results over execution, 3 months from now I won't care how I took the picture, I just care that the picture is good... I don't use a ton of those funky features that hide on those slide out menus all that much (and I can get them with a 3rd party camera app) so the Google Camera does all I ask of it 99% of the time.

Have a 6P, S7E, note 5 and note 4. 6P by far taked the clearest and littlest noise in any pocture hands down. My 6P blows the S7E camera out the water. Sure the 6P doesnt focus nearly as fast, but if lighting isnt great, the s7e camera is very washed out and things look more soft and not defined compared to the 6P

And I kind of agree with your conclusion there, by the way.... Samsung is really heavy handed when it comes to processing. Even in bright conditions, they tend to clobber the really fine details to try to amplify 'clarity'. In dark conditions, they clobber details. Here's two 100 crops of some pics I took shortly after I got my wife's S7... top is a HDR pic from the S7, bottom is an HDR+ pic from the 6P. It's a unlit room with a window off the right letting in a lot of sunlight.

Samsung is oversharpening things to give the impression of crisp details and then processing things to death a bit, to the point where details and colors are getting lost (look at the photos on the shelf). Things look a bit artificial and splotchy... jagged edged curves (look at the vase), smudged colors, etc. The 6P's shot looks far more natural, and the digital noise that is allowed to remain, to me, comes off more like what you would see with the grain on film.

Now, on the phone, the S7's pictures look better... they appear clearer, brighter, etc. But once you get them on something bigger than a 5' screen, the story flips. I think that's what Samsung is going after, to be honest... Fool you by processing. Which is TOTALLY unnecessary since they should be able to dial back the processing quite a bit.

S7
S7 Den 1 CROP 1.jpg

6P

6P Den 1 CROP 1.jpg

Now, that isn't to say the S7's camera is bad... the damn thing is a picture taking demon and my wife is quite pleased with it. But in terms of raw results, the 6P takes a better picture in most every condition I've tried. On the video side of things, if I can avoid the second cup of coffee, the 6P's EIS does a pretty good job of keeping things steady, but not as well as an OIS phone.

jimhuntphoto

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
What version do you have? The latest one for even M has it... it's that button that's sitting there next to the shutter. Tap that while taking a video and you're good to go.

I do not see a button next to the shutter. Are we talking about Camera?

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
On the camera screen when you are shooting a video, the grey button to the right of the red record button. Just tried it on my 6P, works fine 👍

msft_tinkering

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Coming from a Lumia Icon I'll say that the 6P camera can take really good pictures, but the Google Camera app holds it back. The lag between tapping to take the picture and the picture actually being take is way too long. The only real option is to do as others have noted, take video and capture pictures while it's recording.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Coming from a Lumia Icon I'll say that the 6P camera can take really good pictures, but the Google Camera app holds it back. The lag between tapping to take the picture and the picture actually being take is way too long. The only real option is to do as others have noted, take video and capture pictures while it's recording.

With hdr off its super quick, as quick as it was on my S6...but ya with hdr on it definitely extends the time slightly.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
With hdr off its super quick, as quick as it was on my S6...but ya with hdr on it definitely extends the time slightly.

Which is fine, HDR+ does such a better job of cleaning up a picture then other HDR modes, it's worth the added process time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak