901 update... just go away?

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
So, I haven't yet gotten this update, and I haven't seen anything about it posted in a good week or so... is this update just going away? Anyone know anything about this update rolling out still?

I didn't read that one thread that was really popular because it is about 20 pages last I saw, so my second question is did we ever see a change log for that bad boy?

Thanks!

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Turns out it was only pushed to a few users, some think maybe, maybe, as a test to see how many peeps would like unlocked bootloader. Or it was a boo boo. You can find the file in a number of places if you want to flash it..stock recovery.

Sent from my Kin3txed Bionic with Hon3y

Reactions: BasPilot

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to guess you're on stock and don't want to install it manually. I posted something in the rooting forum if you're interested in it, but it's a pain lol. But I have better reliability now, and pretty solid signal.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I finally got sick of checking for it and just downloaded it and installed it using the stock recovery. There is no harm in doing it. The next ota update will just install on top of it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

scottdrenn

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I finally got sick of checking for it and just downloaded it and installed it using the stock recovery. There is no harm in doing it. The next ota update will just install on top of it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Ok... semi-noob -- Trying to manually install this from SD card and stock recovery -- I get an error

"error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7) "

...what am I doing wrong? Completely stock/outta the box and stuck on .886, because I've got the constant "updates are not available at this time" issue.

Thanks in advance -
--scott

scottdrenn

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Which option did you choose in stock recovery?

Sent from my Kin3txed Bionic with Hon3y

I chose "recovery" at first menu -
Then hit both volume buttons at robot and "!" screen
choose -- apply update from sdcard
choose file I placed on SD Card (--still in .zip form, as a previous post stated it should be ? )

Also... I'm in no way rooted -- I read it's not necessary, is that correct?

--scott

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You *MUST* go to 893 FIRST before going to 901. These are updates, not full installs. So it will update from 893 to 901. It will NOT update from 886 to 901. You should be able to find a manual install for 893 and do them both at the same time....meaning boot into stock recovery, do 893, and then 901 right after it, then reboot the phone. Just understand, 901 can't be rooted directly and is a fair pain in the bottom to go back just to root it. Decide now if you care before going to 901. :)

CrewF24

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Completely stock/outta the box and stuck on .886, because I've got the constant "updates are not available at this time" issue.

Thanks in advance -
--scott

You need to wipe the system cache and then do a factory reset and then you will be able to get the update to go to 5.5.893 ... i had this same issue and that resolved the "updates are not available at this time" issue immediately.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/21d0408521

After you are at 5.5.893 you will be able to perform the next upgrade to .901

scottdrenn

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
You need to wipe the system cache and then do a factory reset and then you will be able to get the update to go to 5.5.893 ... i had this same issue and that resolved the "updates are not available at this time" issue immediately.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/21d0408521

After you are at 5.5.893 you will be able to perform the next upgrade to .901

I have seen/heard/read that... is there an actual *good* way to do a "backup/restore" process after the factory reset has been performed? Re-customizing the phone 2 months after I just got "done" isn't real high on my priority list....

Storm2Cool

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess that means that the 901 update isn't coming out? I'm not rooted and was hoping to see it. I still get the BSOD even after the 893 update and was hoping the 901 update would take care of it.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't mean anything. It was accidentally pushed to a few dozen users a few weeks ago and was subsequently pulled. For all we know they're testing it for release at a later date as we speak, or, they may release a newer update with more bugfixes. At this point, we have no idea one way or the other if 901 is going to be rolled out broadly or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aleftshoe