A 256gb note 8?

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
The risk of internal only is harder recovery in the event of damage.

Though there is a precedent too with the Huawei Mate 9 Porsche Edition having done just that already, 256gb of internal storage and not expandable.

In the case of content thats irreplaceable, I would at least consider some means of backup, be that an external device or the cloud.
And that would be for either, internal or expandable as neither are infallible.

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
...just for access speed alone!

SD cards have evolved. Sure you can buy a cheap one like a 256gb for $50 or $120-150.
The difference is the read and write speed and if it can support certain media files - 4k videos or such.
The Samsung Evo Plus microSDXC that we got as freebies last year got a read speed of 95mb/s. I got all my videos and photos in there and it works just like an internal memory.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
SD cards have evolved. Sure you can buy a cheap one like a 256gb for $50 or $120-150.
The difference is the read and write speed and if it can support certain media files - 4k videos or such.
The Samsung Evo Plus microSDXC that we got as freebies last year got a read speed of 95mb/s. I got all my videos and photos in there and it works just like an internal memory.

Versus internal UFS 2 which is 500+. SD cards have gotten faster, but they have not yet caught up (likely never will) and thus they are slower, less stable and less secure than internal storage. Having 128 GB of internal storage is WAY better than having 64 GB of internal storage and a card reader.

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Versus internal UFS 2 which is 500+. SD cards have gotten faster, but they have not yet caught up (likely never will) and thus they are slower, less stable and less secure than internal storage. Having 128 GB of internal storage is WAY better than having 64 GB of internal storage and a card reader.

I agree with you if you're willing to cough up the extra dough just to have that extra internal memory on your phone. If you're not a professional videographer, or just use your phone casually to take HD videos and store photos, a class 10 U3 SD card will suffice.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you if you're willing to cough up the extra dough just to have that extra internal memory on your phone. If you're not a professional videographer, or just use your phone casually to take HD videos and store photos, a class 10 U3 SD card will suffice.

I'm willing to spend the extra $80 - 100 every day of the week :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I have just a standard SD card (64 GB) in my phone .. I can't even remember what class it is LOL. I just use it for music & media downloads (Netflix stuff). Works well :).

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm willing to spend the extra $80 - 100 every day of the week :)

Well good for you! A lot of folks can't afford to spend more than a thousand on a phone and I'm sure a 128 storage is more than just $80-100 extra. How much more for 256.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well good for you! A lot of folks can't afford to spend more than a thousand on a phone and I'm sure a 128 storage is more than just $80-100 extra. How much more for 256.

Last year going from 32 to 128 GB on the Pixel was $100 and on the iPhone it was the same with an additional $100 for the 256 GB version. So $200 total to add 224 GB or $100 to add 96 GB.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

That's personal preference, because I'd prefer the hybrid mix. I don't find having all internal memory to be convenient at all, and I never will.

That, and I never notice my SD card lag in my phone. My Sammy handles that pretty well.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Can't or won't believe it. As long as expandable storage is available on the phone I just can't see them going above the 64GB. For most people that is more than enough.

Speak for yourself. My 256 was already halfway full the moment that I inserted it into my phone. It has tons of different media on it.

Working at Sprint, I noticed there is no such things as "For most people". Space usage is so diverse, that you can sequester what most would want as far as storage.

Now what you CAN say, to which I said for years (and Apple finally heard me) is that 16GB is not enough on any phone without expandable options. Everyone who ever got a 16GB model always came back crying about storage. They only really got them because they wanted an iPhone, but were too cheap to shell out for what they really needed. LoL

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
That's even what the article is assuming, that it could very well be the Emperor Edition and thus, only be available in South Korea and China - maybe other Asian Markets.

Well, we can cross our fingers that they come to North America. If not, importation remains a shaky, but open option!:D

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The cards are expensive, the slots/readers shouldn't be. 2 extra contacts, a controller chip and maybe driver are all that's needed.

The point of the hybrid slot is so that people can keep using MicroSD until the UFS cards come down in price. Remember how relatively expensive MicroSD cards were when they were introduced?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos