A question about Android Auto and built-in GPS receivers on cars...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone.

I'm currently in the market for a new car, and the 2016 Honda Civic has caught my eye. I'm probably going to opt for the Civic EX-T with the 1.5L turbocharged engine as I really like the overall design of the car and am really keen on the new engine.

However, according to Honda's build tool, the EX-T doesn't come with Honda's navigation system, nor does it have an option for it as it seems to be on the EX-L and Touring. The EX-T does come with a 7-inch infotainment system that supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which is a huge selling point for me.

There is a question in my head, though. I know Android Auto is able to take advantage of the car's built-in sensors and other stuff, including GPS antennas if the car has one. However, since the EX-T doesn't have Honda's navigation system, but has support for Android Auto, will using a navigation app like Google Maps or Waze via AA utilize the phone's built-in location services feature instead of the car's since it's likely that the EX-T doesn't have a GPS antenna?

Thanks. ;)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It'll use the phone's GPS. Also, note that the info says it CAN use the vehicle's GPS antenna if equipped, that does not mean it WILL use it in those cases. I imagine the app being used as well as the vehicle will need to support that capability.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It'll use the phone's GPS. Also, note that the info says it CAN use the vehicle's GPS antenna if equipped, that does not mean it WILL use it in those cases. I imagine the app being used as well as the vehicle will need to support that capability.
Thanks.

Looks like I'm all-set. Not keen on factory-installed navigation these days.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

Looks like I'm all-set. Not keen on factory-installed navigation these days.

Yeah, with in-motion lockouts (damn lawyers) and the WAY-behind mapping, there's just no need for those anymore. It'd be MUCH cheaper to go with some kind of off-the-shelf AA and CP ready unit and avoid any development costs and allow for updates to AA to come to users to avoid incompatibilities when phones get updated but the HU doesn't.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, with in-motion lockouts (damn lawyers) and the WAY-behind mapping, there's just no need for those anymore. It'd be MUCH cheaper to go with some kind of off-the-shelf AA and CP ready unit and avoid any development costs and allow for updates to AA to come to users to avoid incompatibilities when phones get updated but the HU doesn't.
It's the maps and POIs that really made me use my phone more.

Some automakers charge a fee to update the maps and database in their system. Meanwhile, Google Maps and Waze on my phone gets updates to their maps and database on-the-fly without me having to fork over any form of cash.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The automakers charge for map 'updates' and those 'updates' are still 2 years old. Meanwhile, I could practically watch the progression of roundabout construction near me on Google Maps. Within a month the completed intersection was reflected on Maps.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
A GPS antenna on the roof is going to work better than the one in your phone especially if the phone doesn't have a clear view of the sky. I just bought a 2017 Chevy Volt extended range electric with builtin GPS and Android Auto. I'm only using the built in GPS when I have no cell phone coverage although now that Google is allowing offline maps that's less important. I test drove the Honda Accord and hated it except for the blind spot camera which I loved, the Volt has RADAR for the blind spot detection and it works really well. What I didn't like about the Honda was the jerky transmission, the Volt is electric drive so there is no transmission, it also has incredible range, 463 miles, 58 on battery and 405 on gas (I'm getting 45 MPG on the gas engine a 4 miles power kWh on the battery).

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been using AA with the 2016 Honda Accord. I've had very few problems in the past and continue to have virtually no issues with AA. I'm not certain whether it's the combination of my Note 5 along with Honda's equipment that has kept me problem-free.

Waze...keep in mind that as of today Waze cannot be used with AA only Maps. Waze is supposed to be available later this year.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Waze...keep in mind that as of today Waze cannot be used with AA only Maps. Waze is supposed to be available later this year.
Yeah, I'm waiting for that. Has been a huge help with traffic updates.

A GPS antenna on the roof is going to work better than the one in your phone especially if the phone doesn't have a clear view of the sky.
Of course. There's no doubting that something that's designed for an automobile and one that's in the best position for it to work will do its job better.

dewd_1969

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Since I lay my phone in the console under the dash, I purchased an external BT GPS to use with AA (Dual Electronics XGPS150A). This worked perfectly with my LG G4 but I can't get it to stay connected with my Galaxy S7. So rather than fight with the connection any longer, I added a magnetic mount to my dash and put the phone on it when I need GPS.

If anyone knows the secret to making the XGPS150A work with my S7 I am all ears. :)

dewd_1969

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
So after posting the other night I decided to give it one more shot with my external BT GPS on my S7. I removed the BlueTooth GPS app and removed the BT connection to the GPS. I reestablished the connection, reinstalled BlueTooth GPS, and re-enabled mock location. I tested it 4 times and so far it has been working as expected.

I am now able to sit my phone under the dash and have Nav running. :)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
One thing to remember though is that voice commands use the phone's mic. So you'll need to keep it relatively open for that.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaacmause