A question from a noobie.

RoboBroPro

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys! I'm new on here.

I bought the Verizon Galaxy Nexus about 2 months ago and really like it. This is my first smart phone. I did a lot of reading about the nexus before I bought it because I wanted to get the best phone I could.

I didn't realize at the time that the Verizon Nexus was the "bad one". Just like everyone else I wish we would get the updates. Don't get me wrong, I still love the phone . Just some bugs I wish were fixed.

Now I have been reading all this stuff about rooting and unlocking phones. I really don't understand this though.

Is there any way someone could explain this to me in idiots terms? Would I be able to get the updates on my Verizon Nexus if I did this? Would you recommend it? Is it necassary to both root and unlock ? What is a custom ROM?

Thanks in advance and sorry about such a long first post. I have been lurking on these forums for a couple weeks now and finally decided to sign up :)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I bought the Verizon Galaxy Nexus about 2 months ago and really like it. This is my first smart phone. I did a lot of reading about the nexus before I bought it because I wanted to get the best phone I could.

I didn't realize at the time that the Verizon Nexus was the "bad one". Just like everyone else I wish we would get the updates. Don't get me wrong, I still love the phone . Just some bugs I wish were fixed.

Now I have been reading all this stuff about rooting and unlocking phones. I really don't understand this though.

Is there any way someone could explain this to me in idiots terms? Would I be able to get the updates on my Verizon Nexus if I did this? Would you recommend it? Is it necassary to both root and unlock ? What is a custom ROM?

Thanks in advance and sorry about such a long first post. I have been lurking on these forums for a couple weeks now and finally decided to sign up :)

Read the guide in my signature ("Don't Panic"). It'll explain everything.

Once rooted, you won't get updates. You can flash them, however.

Anywho, read that, reassess, then ask questions after. Trust me. :cool:

Reactions: zero neck

watchtheflames

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Best decision I ever made was rooting this device. I've also had mine for about 2 months now, and I rooted at the beginning of April. I don't get 4g in my area so I don't really think I was experiencing the signal problems everyone else does, and I don't remember any mic cut outs, but I stream a lot of music and my phone rebooted a lot. A few times a day typically. Sometimes it would reboot for no reason at all when just sitting there doing nothing. I rooted and flashed the LiquidSmooth Rom and also the 4.0.4 radios. My phone hasn't rebooted since the day I rooted. I have never been happier with a phone as I am with this one now.

Reactions: 2defmouze

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
you will not regret rooting, it brings out the best in this phone. AMAZING Difference

any questions you might have about the process ask away, this is a great place to gather information and help if needed.

Good Luck, you will not be sorry

P.S.
The downside to Rooting and Romming is a strong possibility of "Obsessive Flashing Disorder":confused:

Reactions: davidnc

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
P.S.
The downside to Rooting and Romming is a strong possibility of "Obsessive Flashing Disorder":confused:

So true... this is honestly the reason I havent :)

I rooted my old windows mobile phones, my droid1 and my eris.... then I decided to take a break...

had an issue with the battery on my Xoom, so I rooted just to wipe the battery stats... I dont think I went to bed till about 2am that night.... apparently I have not fully recovered from my flashing issues :(

Even when it was a pain in the butt to Flash the old WinMo phones (WM5) I would still find myself doing it 2-3 times a day just to try out all the new ROMs....

I know... I need Help :)

RoboBroPro

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow thaks dmmark. Those guides have really helped me a lot. So I think I'm gonna do it. I'm waiting for my computer to download the drivers now.

I am still kinda confused about some stuff though. All I really want to do for now is get those updates. Are there different versions of the 4.04? Meaning do I have to be careful which 4.04 ROM I get?

Also, I think that I need to get Rom Manager once my phone is unlocked and rooted. If I understand correctly...Rom Manager allows me to "flash" or install Roms? And I need to use that CWM to make a backup of my stock setup just in case anything bad happens right?

Sorry guys this is my first smart phone so this is all brand new to me. I just want to make sure I understand before going too far here.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow thaks dmmark. Those guides have really helped me a lot. So I think I'm gonna do it. I'm waiting for my computer to download the drivers now.

I am still kinda confused about some stuff though. All I really want to do for now is get those updates. Are there different versions of the 4.04? Meaning do I have to be careful which 4.04 ROM I get?

Also, I think that I need to get Rom Manager once my phone is unlocked and rooted. If I understand correctly...Rom Manager allows me to "flash" or install Roms? And I need to use that CWM to make a backup of my stock setup just in case anything bad happens right?

Sorry guys this is my first smart phone so this is all brand new to me. I just want to make sure I understand before going too far here.

Re: 4.0.4; there's the OTA and ROMS that are based on the OTA. With the OTA, you unroot your phone--and if memory serves, you can still "take/receive a future update." In a way, flashing the leaked OTA update is like updating; you "lose" root and have to either (1) root again, or (2) use an app like RootKeeper to preserve root.

Re: the CWM recovery allows you to flash. Think of ROM Manager like an App interface for CWM Recovery. Essentially, you can do a variety of things with RM, but all of them are done--more or less--through CWM. It's like a conduit. You can also download ROMs and such with it; flash the CWM recovery with it; etc.