A Quick Notice on Forum Signatures

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
From a personal point of view, I don't like signatures. Even more so, I don't like them on email, and I can't stand the, "Sent from..." signatures.
So, yeah, I'm loving this move ;)

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you're on mobile, use turn off signatures. Works for other forums.

The undersigned hereby gives this move the following:

5030287470_pT5ee47Ec_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Horrible decision.

A simple 2-line text-only signature is 1 BILLION times more mobile friendly than the b.s. ads that sites plug into their sites, including Android Central.

You just took away the only decent personalization we had. (I don't care about changing the colors on my "profile" page. lol.)

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
If you're going to turn them off, then turn them ALL off, including admins, mods, volunteers and Tapatalk.
-OR-
Allow users to make donations to the site to turn ads OFF and signatures ON.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Signatures had a usefulness when it came to showing what devices people had.
In the current profile settings people can put a modern primary device, a second device (ex: tablet), but choices are very limited. I have an Archos Titanium 80 tablet (its old and I plan to replace it in the next few months), and I also have an Android Wear Asus ZenWatch 2. I would have liked to add that information to my profile, but can't find a way to do it with the absence of signatures. Signatures were a big help in this area. Perhaps they could be reinstated in a more limited and restricted way? I would recommend adding more options to the area where primary and secondary devices are added, but I think that would be more work for you guys than adding signatures back in some form would be. If you guys are set against adding signatures that would appear in posts how about adding them to the user profile pages? That is an area that users would opt to view, and wouldn't slow down the forum threads loading.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Still there on the desktop site.

d7f75b2e0fdbd4b2cdc27ffad382dc87.jpg

Sent from my 2013 Moto G LTE bought on a Friday in May 2014 from a guy called Larry in a CEX store in Brixton, London to replace my GS2 as a backup phone.
Sony Ericsson T28, T29, T39, P800, P910i, GS2, Note 3.
Wearing pink underwear on Mondays, transgender underwear on Thursdays, and white, grey or black the rest of the week. Washed twice a year regardless.
Owned a BL Rover car, an FSO, VW Passat 1.8t Sport 2003, Citroën ZX 1.4i Avanttage 1994, Ford Mondeo: driven all Mercedes, Bentley, Range Rover, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Buick, and most every brand model for work.
Flown in Boeing 737 - 200, 400, 800, Boeing 757, 767, 777, 747-400, Airbus A320, A321, A319, Cessna 152, Aerospatiale Rallye 100, Twin Otters.

Been to Starbucks, McDonald's, Pizza Express, Cafe Nero, Costa Coffee, Pret a Manger and like brown toast for breakfast.

Last edited:

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Still there on the desktop site.

From your screen capture I see you were using your phone as opposed to an actual desktop system. When I go to the forum on my phone's web browser (Chrome) I can click on the username to see their profile (including devices) like you showed in your picture. Ironically no such thing shows up when clicking on user names on my Windows 10 notebook using FireFox developer edition. Even if it did it wouldn't display that I have Archos Titanium 80 tablet and Asus Zenwatch 2 devices since those aren't select-able devices in the profile area. :(

BTW: I can see why they wanted to disable signatures after reading your (I'm guessing) self-insert signature in the above post. ;)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
From your screen capture I see you were using your phone as opposed to an actual desktop system. When I go to the forum on my phone's web browser (Chrome) I can click on the username to see their profile (including devices) like you showed in your picture. Ironically no such thing shows up when clicking on user names on my Windows 10 notebook using FireFox developer edition. Even if it did it wouldn't display that I have Archos Titanium 80 tablet and Asus Zenwatch 2 devices since those aren't select-able devices in the profile area. :(

BTW: I can see why they wanted to disable signatures after reading your (I'm guessing) self-insert signature in the above post. ;)
I think you can write a small bio there, but I did notice I couldn't bring up that profile window more often than not lately when I click my username. It goes to the full profile page. I have a Windows 10 pc, from Windows 7, but I am not sure where / when it happens at the moment.

Yeh I was just taking it to extremes for fun. As others say here people can get carried away and you don't know where the post stops. If people wanted to, fine, but I'm happier that it helps the site to stop them.

Not sure about stopping Ambassadors and Mods signatures entirely, if so.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My opinions is that it's mostly BS, specially this part
Yeah right, signatures take up a lot of space, but the dozen+ ads you got showing everywhere don't take up any space at all. That was sarcasm by the way.

And don't get me wrong, I understand the need for ads, the need to generate some revenue, heck I've released 3 games on android based on that concept(haven't made any money of them yet, but that's neighter here nor there...), so I'm not saying ads are bad. What I'm saying is be fair, don't pretend signatures taking up space is a problem when you got ads that cover up a quarter of my screen...
And the same applies for loading time.

So here's my 2 cents, bring em back, relax the rules a bit(sure you should have a rule that says you can't put gigantic images in your signature for example, but if someone wants to advertise his site or something in it let him, it's not gonna be the end of the world) and just put an option in the user settings panel to disable signatures.
That way whoever doesn't wanna deal with them and thinks your points are valid can just turn them off for himself. That's the fairest way of doing things in my opinion, and olso the way 99% of the forums in the world do it, mobile or not.

Self promotion and advertising are prohibited in all forms. Signatures ceased to exist across Mobile Nations prior to you creating your account - so you've never had one here. Any and all advertising links are treated like spam.

benleonheart

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been an inactive user for so long here, since '09 (I post regularly on other Android forums).
Personally, on PC and on mobile, the site loads slow by itself.
You guys better get it together; sure, remove the signatures, that's fine. But the site needs optimization.

Oh and back on the sigs topic: wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of flair under your username? like current and previous phone (I think only 2 are necessary, and yes, I've been using android since 1.0 on a touch cruise back in the day), also your current mobile operator? Just my $0.02

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mervy333