Acer R11 Chromebook

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

Was wondering if you could help me. I'm about to take the step into Chromebooks and I've got a few questions. I've seen this one:

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comp...-r-11-cb5-132t-2-in-1-white-10156150-pdt.html

I really like the idea of it being used as tablet as well and the fact it has a touch screen (although some reviews say it's a bit patchy).

Have any of you had any experience with this model? Does it run Android Apps? Do they work well with the touchscreen? What's the update time frame like. I went on to Googles support page and couldn't find the model listed.... Does anyone know how long it will get updates for?

Also, wouldn't mind some advice on any other models you may have used that you think are better (within the same price range though).

Basically any info would very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Does it run Android Apps?

I went to Acer's site, and toward the bottom of the page, it says it has access to the Play Store: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/acerchromebookr11

Since it's running ChromeOS, it should get updates for quite some time. I have an Acer C720 and the battery is failing, and that got an update the last time I turned it on a few months ago. That device came out late 2013/early 2014.

The battery life that is estimated is usually pretty close.

I'm not sure if the idea of a convertible laptop is something you want in a CB. There aren't that many out, and that price range is even more uncommon. It seems like it would be a solid choice to go with. ChromeOS boots pretty quick. I think my new Samsung one boots in about 30 seconds, and that is counting entering my Gmail password.

A lot of naysayers terar down ChromeOS as a bad type of OS, but honestly, in my opinion at least, for most people it's fine. If you do lots of surfing, YouTube or any other streaming through a web browser, emails, etc....it's fine. It's when you start getting into a broader category than that you may find some difficulties.

I had a cheap Windows PC that couldn't handle some basic tasks, and I took the plunge on the CB C720. I was blown away. So much that I got a ChromeBox to mimic a desktop PC. I only shifted to a desktop PC as I started to get a longing for playing video games again. The ChromeBox then no longer fit my use case. It's still not a bad little toy. It's just no longer for me. What I liked about that was you could connect to more than one display.

The Celeron CPU doesn't seem like much, but at the same time, you don't need it to do much, either. The 4 GB of RAM will be nice if you keep a lot of tabs open. The OS is fairly secure. It's kinda built in a similar fashion to Android, meaning it's sandboxed to offer different layers of security. The upside is that since the OS is a different architecture than Windows, most, if not all, methods of infecting a Windows PC don't apply to Chrome.

I know I got long winded...sorry. I'd say give it a try. I would suggest finding a retailer near you, so that if you don't care for the device, you can return it more easily.

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply mate.

Honestly I think I'm ready to move away from a Windows Laptop now. I don't ever use them to their full potential and the upgrade process is enough to make a grown man cry.

That said. With my budget I probably couldn't afford a decent one anyway. Which is why I started looking at Chromebooks.

I like the fact that Chromebooks are quick to load and easy to use. I'm sure I'll get used the to the OS overtime. It's just a case of finding one I like now within budget.

I liked the R11 because it has a touchscreen and from what I can gather that's supposed to be work better with the apps. But I'm so new to this that I thought I'd ask for some advice.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply mate.

Honestly I think I'm ready to move away from a Windows Laptop now. I don't ever use them to their full potential and the upgrade process is enough to make a grown man cry.

That said. With my budget I probably couldn't afford a decent one anyway. Which is why I started looking at Chromebooks.

I like the fact that Chromebooks are quick to load and easy to use. I'm sure I'll get used the to the OS overtime. It's just a case of finding one I like now within budget.

I liked the R11 because it has a touchscreen and from what I can gather that's supposed to be work better with the apps. But I'm so new to this that I thought I'd ask for some advice.
@B. Diddy showed me a link to EOL for ChromeOS devices: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

In there, the R11 (if I am reading the chart right) is supported until June 2021, so not too bad. You will get 3 yeas of support, and here is a thing to consider....the battery will probably go bad long before the update cycle will end. And at that point, it may as well be just as financially feasible to get another device than find a battery and replace it.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've got an R11 Chromebook as my main computer. Touchscreen is great, Android apps are great. Tent mode is great for propping on a counter while you cook or things like that. Tablet mode is ok, it's pretty awkward to hold and terribly balanced compared for a real tablet but good enough for watching videos on the couch etc.

I find it somewhat underpowered, lots of lag opening multiple tabs, and something like Google Inbox is positively painful to open. I can edit RAW photos if I've got A LOT of time and patience waiting for each photo to slooooooooollowly open. Screen is ok but you wouldn't want to do anything requiring accurate color representation.

No backlit keyboard - which ended up being a bigger annoyance than I anticipated.

Basically, for what I paid ($129 open box) it's worth it. I'd consider one of you can find it sub-$175 or so

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe